Linux Mint users: This is the one you'll want

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish beyond wishing that I could make the wholesale change to Linux-basaed OSes, but unfortunately I'm an avid gamer.

Perhaps someday Linux will get a big enough chunk to get the attention of more people than just Valve, but that time isn't here.

And unfortunately Wine (and it's various overlays like PoL) isn't a solution. After months and months tinkering and configuring and toying, I can say every single claim I've seen people make about Wine somehow being able to run certain games better than Windows, or even remotely on-par with, has been utter nonsense. Every single one.

So I'll either have to start acting my age and stop gaming (unlikely) or game makers have to start supporting Linux (equally as unlikely) for me to be able to make a wholesale change.

Last edited:
I've had good success with Wine myself with the few games I played. Eve (back when I could play that huge a time sink) officially supports OSX via a "port" that uses Cider, so it's always worked fine in Wine. Diablo 3 was good for me once I got it set up.

The biggest weak point isn't Wine IMO, as the quality of the 3d drivers. AMD/ATI = give up hope. nVidia = might be ok. But I know what you're saying. You'll be fattening BillG's coffers a while longer
wink.gif

Eve is actually a big issue for me. One client runs fine, but two and the FPS tanks to about 10. Unfortunately that's not workable...

I recently read Mint 17 will be released in May and is an LTS version. LTS meaning Long Term Support [3 or 5 years IIRC], which is great. Mint 16 will no longer be supported after July 2014. I HOPE Mint 17 will work on this older machine, so far 16 has been great.

What do you long term MINT users plan on doing?

5 years for Mint 17 and Ubuntu 14.04. You should have no problem going to Mint 17 on an older machine. I will be going to Mint 17 in may on my Dell desktop from 04.

For an older machine I suggest, strongly, that you use the MATE version instead of Cinnamon, though. MATE will be much, much lighter on resources and will not require anything in the way of whiz-bang 3D graphics support just to run.

Update report on my Mint 16 installation:

Running Mint 16 32bit on a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop, 6GB RAM, nVidia 8600GT video, 128GB SSD, dual booted with Win7-64.

Pros: Not a hiccup coming out of standy, the achilles heel of this laptop with the Broadcom wireless card. Able to RDP (thank you for the previous help) to wherever I need.

Cons: Still trying to find the small things, such as a replacement for Win7's Snip util. Otherwise, everything is working fine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I don't plan on doing anything. I've used deprecated versions of Ubuntu and am using a deprecated version of Mint currently. It's simply not a problem. If it works on my hardware perfectly well today, why would I worry about if it will work tomorrow?

If I feel like upgrading, I will. Before I do that, I'll make a tarball. If I don't like a new version, I'll use the tarball and revert to the old version, just like if nothing ever happened.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I don't plan on doing anything. I've used deprecated versions of Ubuntu and am using a deprecated version of Mint currently. It's simply not a problem. If it works on my hardware perfectly well today, why would I worry about if it will work tomorrow?

If I feel like upgrading, I will. Before I do that, I'll make a tarball. If I don't like a new version, I'll use the tarball and revert to the old version, just like if nothing ever happened.

Thanks. The only reason I asked was in July they will no longer be supporting Mint 16, and that might pose security issues. I have a clone of my current setup which I can revert back to as well. I'll probably give Mint Mate 17 a shot. I have a script that will download all the applications I currently have installed with the Mint 17 revisions, and I enjoy tinkering. I also like the idea that the newer version is LTS so I won't have to worry about it for a few years.

I have a script that will download all the applications I currently have installed with the Mint 17 revisions, and I enjoy tinkering.

That is one of the functions of the package manager, though: To automagically take care of all of this for you. It will likely alert you when 17 (some time in May, usually roughly a month after an Ubuntu release) is available and prompt you to hit all of one button to initiate a "dist-upgrade" or "distribution upgrade".

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I have a script that will download all the applications I currently have installed with the Mint 17 revisions, and I enjoy tinkering.

That is one of the functions of the package manager, though: To automagically take care of all of this for you. It will likely alert you when 17 (some time in May, usually roughly a month after an Ubuntu release) is available and prompt you to hit all of one button to initiate a "dist-upgrade" or "distribution upgrade".

Good to know. So the distribution upgrade will take care of all the applications I added to 16 and install 17 with them? I read the script I created from Synaptec Package Manager was needed to do that. Either way the more I learn about this OS the more I like it!

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Update report on my Mint 16 installation:

Running Mint 16 32bit on a Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop, 6GB RAM, nVidia 8600GT video, 128GB SSD, dual booted with Win7-64.

Pros: Not a hiccup coming out of standy, the achilles heel of this laptop with the Broadcom wireless card. Able to RDP (thank you for the previous help) to wherever I need.

Cons: Still trying to find the small things, such as a replacement for Win7's Snip util. Otherwise, everything is working fine.

I'd recommend going to the 64-bit Mint versions. 32-bit is an afterthought now days and not optimized well at all. All the work being done is on the 64bit version. I'm running 64-bit XFCE on an old laptop (1.8Ghz, 1GB ram) and it runs great. Using a light webrowser it never uses more than 400 MB of ram.

Last edited:
Good to know. So the distribution upgrade will take care of all the applications I added to 16 and install 17 with them? I read the script I created from Synaptec Package Manager was needed to do that. Either way the more I learn about this OS the more I like it!

Synaptic (among several others) is just a graphical user interface for apt-get. All of the software you have on your system comes from a small handful of repositories, which apt-get checks daily or weekly to see if the versions you have installed are the same or older than the ones currently held in the repository. It will prompt you to upgrade your installation every week or so (or more often if you've set it to do so) and also let you know when a new release has come about; prompting you to upgrade that, as well.

This idea of repositories is one major, major, major advantage of Linux-based desktops over either Mac or Windows: all of the software has been compiled from (freely available: free as in "freedom" as well as in "no cost") source code and tested by a small army of nerds prior to being committed to the repositories, and your system will check them and update itself all by itself; requiring very little input from you. The Ubuntu (and therefore Mint) repositories have well over 30,000 pieces of software, containing LibreOffice, Firefox, VLC and everything else in your system.

You can see from where your system checks for software in the file /etc/apt/sources.list as well as any files contained in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d folder.

Thanks. The only reason I asked was in July they will no longer be supporting Mint 16, and that might pose security issues.

That should be the least of one's concerns. Security issues aren't a big issue with Linux in the first place, let alone with a stable, up to date LTS version. Unless one is running a financial institution on the thing or a server that could be tasked to do DDOS attacks, I wouldn't worry in the least. Do note that certain updates do make it through with even deprecated LTS versions, and as I recall, most of those updates are security updates. The packages that I notice that fall behind in in older OS are those like WinFF, not necessarily the more core stuff, or stuff tied to security issues.

Nonetheless, like you, I prefer the LTS versions. I don't like a bunch of wholesale changes too often.
wink.gif

^^ I like to tinker and learn, and have the time to fool around. I have a clone of my system so if things don't go my way I can always switch back.

^^ I like to tinker and learn, and have the time to fool around. I have a clone of my system so if things don't go my way I can always switch back.

Tinker and learn?! Got the time? Oh, friend, do I know of a few distros for you to try out (in a virtual machine, for the love of Pete!):

If you want to find a Linux distro that is akin to ordering a car and having the parts dumped on your front lawn with some really well put-together documentation and a friendly, knowledgeable community, there is Arch Linux. By the time you have built the entire car configured the system exactly - and I mean exactly, because there aren't any setup wizards or auto-configging daemons conspiring to make your life easier in the Arch Way - how you choose, you will know Linux. You will have lost many, many hours of your life that you aren't getting back, too.

If you want to question whether this is actually any fun anymore, then get chewed out for asking a question about some cryptic documentation by a friendless neckbeard who feels as though you should have already known what you were asking, there is Gentoo , sir. An installation of this monster will be measured in days, not hours. If you walk into a cafe populated by nerds after installing Gentoo successfully, the nerds will sense that and acknowledge you. They may even buy you a beer if their mom hasn't arrived to drive them home yet.

And if you feel as though you deserve to be punished for something awful you've done, check out Linux From Scratch . You will need a calendar to keep track of the length of your installation procedure. As you walk down the street, though, you will be able to hear the whispers of the nerds around you: "Is that the one?!" "Yes, it's demarpaint," they'll say, "Installer Of Linux From Scratch!"

I will add that putting in very much time with any of these three will also actively repel women from you; worse than playing prog-rock.

Tinker and learn?! Got the time? Oh, friend, do I know of a few distros for you to try out (in a virtual machine, for the love of Pete!):

If you want to find a Linux distro that is akin to ordering a car and having the parts dumped on your front lawn with some really well put-together documentation and a friendly, knowledgeable community, there is Arch Linux. By the time you have built the entire car configured the system exactly - and I mean exactly, because there aren't any setup wizards or auto-configging daemons conspiring to make your life easier in the Arch Way - how you choose, you will know Linux. You will have lost many, many hours of your life that you aren't getting back, too.

If you want to question whether this is actually any fun anymore, then get chewed out for asking a question about some cryptic documentation by a friendless neckbeard who feels as though you should have already known what you were asking, there is Gentoo , sir. An installation of this monster will be measured in days, not hours.

And if you feel as though you deserve to be punished for something awful you've done, check out Linux From Scratch . You will need a calendar to keep track of the length of your installation procedure.

LOL I don't have that much time. I do have the time to give Mint 17 a shot, and spend some time tweaking. I can revert back to the image I created if things don't pan out.

What you propose sounds like a new career. I'm just a little too old for that.

If you want to question whether this is actually any fun anymore, then get chewed out for asking a question about some cryptic documentation by a friendless neckbeard who feels as though you should have already known what you were asking, there is Gentoo , sir. An installation of this monster will be measured in days, not hours.

And if you feel as though you deserve to be punished for something awful you've done, check out Linux From Scratch . You will need a calendar to keep track of the length of your installation procedure.

Yup, you haven't lived until you've done a Stage 1 Gentoo install
grin.gif

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_Install_Gentoo_Using_a_Stage1_or_Stage2_Tarball.3F

I did it on a P3 800. I don't even want to think about how much time I had into that computer.

Another good one, and the first distro I ever used is Slackware: http://www.slackware.com/

But if you want to go off the deep end, in my experience you've gotta try OpenBSD. http://www.openbsd.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back