Linux Mint takes over 2 minutes to load to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run something like gnome-disks (probably called "Disks" in the start menu) to check your hard disk's self-test status. If it is starting to wear out it can become slow.

I think it ran. It was almost instant. Model;ST9320320AS (DE04), size 320 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes), Partitioning Master Boot Record, serial no.5SX26TM , Assessment Disk is OK, 58 bad sectors (40° C / 104° F), device /dev/sda1

Click the menu button at the top of Disks and check the SMART report. Look for anything that is flagged as a warning or failure. When that window opens there is a button at the bottom to test the disk.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Click the menu button at the top of Disks and check the SMART report. Look for anything that is flagged as a warning or failure. When that window opens there is a button at the bottom to test the disk.

If there was anything wrong with the disk then Windows would not load quickly, either.

OP is talking apples to apples and there is nothing wrong with his HDD. It's like a losing football teams blaming the weather for their loss, when the winning team had to play in that same weather.

daves66nova, developers of an OS tune which pieces of that OS load in what order. I have found there to be no difference between hitting the power button and getting to a point where I can open an application between an OS that I use on my computers; but note that the login screen is always up in Win10 very quickly.

uc50ic4more,

You have a greater understanding of computers. I can only speak from experience with a limited understanding of how computers work. You are more like a master mechanic that understands how things work.

daves66nova,

Based on recent experience with my R61 Thinkpad I recently purchased. It came with 80gb hdd hard drive wiped and Cinnamon installed. Took long time to boot and lot of lag. Only had 1.5g ram. Installed Mint Mate. It became usable, still some lag opening programs. Installed 2gb ram. It was usable. Boot times slow, but not excessive. Installed ssd and increased ram to 2.5 gb total. It boots in 30 seconds. No lag. The ssd made the difference in lag and less heat. My processor is the T7300 Core2Duo.

The hard drive is still going to be a limiting factor. A solid state drive makes it less noticeable. Since I think both our computers have 1.5 gb per second transfer transfer rate. The new solid state drive is capable of 6 gb per second transfer rate. Our computers are not.

That is the rub with old computers. It is like dropping a Ferrari motor in Pinto. It is still a Pinto.
smile.gif

I bought a stick of 1gb to have a total of 2gb now. I do have an ssd but it doesnt recognize it when i try running it.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I bought a stick of 1gb to have a total of 2gb now. I do have an ssd but it doesnt recognize it when i try running it.

Every Dell laptop I tried Linux on had issues with drivers. I got stuck and gave up. One reason I only buy Thinkpads with onboard graphics is that Linux works 100% of the time. Just put in whatever hard drive hdd or solid state and install Linux and everything works.

So it seems you could try a different hhd and see if it works better or a lighter distro. Frankly, I prefer Mint XFCE. I know it is not recommended by many here but I found it works better on my older equipment. My Thinkpad R61i with a Pentium Dual Core is faster than my R61 with a Core2Duo with which should be faster. The difference is one R61i is running XFCE instead of Mate. I use System Monitor and it shows Mate uses more memory compared to XFCE.

If you are just going online I found Peppermint was light and fast on older hardware. I went back to Mint XFCE since I use Libre Office a lot and it worked better in Mint. It is free to try different distos plus you may learn a few things with each install. I know I did.

As everyone else will (and did) tell you, full Mint is not suited for 2 GB RAM. Also find out what's going on with that SSD. You can get a simple USB to SATA adapter to hook up the drive externally to find out if it is DOA and you need to warranty it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378

As everyone else will (and did) tell you, full Mint is not suited for 2 GB RAM. Also find out what's going on with that SSD. You can get a simple USB to SATA adapter to hook up the drive externally to find out if it is DOA and you need to warranty it.

It is a little misleading since they put requirements at 1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).

Mint Mate 18.3

For Mint Mate 2.5GM RAM is the minimum for me.

In the past I have applied some of these tweaks and it helped.

Speed up your Mint

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
in the OP you said you have 4Gb RAM; what are the 1Gb and 2Gb you reference related to.
Your'e right, what I meant was, I already had a 2gb stick and 1 of 1gb and I replaced the 1gb with a 2gb that I got from Ebay. So now, a total of 4gb. Thanks for catching that!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Sounds like you would be better served by a $99 chromebook or something like that.

What I have found is by time you get the cheap used laptop and upgrade hard drive, etc. you have spent $100. I looked at a chromebook and they seem so cheap compared to what I use. But, for the OP that may have been a better choice.

I see everybody missed this part:

I think it ran. It was almost instant. Model;ST9320320AS (DE04), size 320 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes), Partitioning Master Boot Record, serial no.5SX26TM , Assessment Disk is OK, 58 bad sectors (40° C / 104° F), device /dev/sda1

Replace the hard drive. It's failing, despite whatever SMART says.

That said, 2 minutes on old hardware for a linux boot is perfectly fine. I'm more concerned that old hard drive of yours is on its way out. Bad sector count should be 0. A few is acceptable. 58 is a trend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Subdued
That said, 2 minutes on old hardware for a linux boot is perfectly fine. I'm more concerned that old hard drive of yours is on its way out. Bad sector count should be 0. A few is acceptable. 58 is a trend.

HD replacement couldn't hurt. One should be able to do better than two minutes, particularly if disabled services you really don't need. I did better than that on older hardware. And, as already pointed out, yes, the newer versions of Windows aren't a valid comparison, because Windows cheats. Turn off hybrid shutdown and then grab the stopwatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back