Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna (Gnome) Released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link To Linux Mint

Below are a couple of links that give some info about installing it in a dual boot mode with Windows XP.

Guide To Installing In Dual Boot Mode Linux and XP

Link to post install info

I have ran several desktop distributions of Linux but find this distribution easy to install + Envy included makes an easy job of setting up most NEVA or ATI video cards.

Only hardware setup other than the video card was the printer which only took a minute or so as the drivers for most all printers are included. Make sure to set at default after installing the drivers. Paper size should be set to letter.

Only change I recommend is in the Control Center - Appearance Preferences - Visual Effects, change it to "None". That gives a much more responsive - faster system!

I ran the KDE version for a few days but it is in Beta and had a few problems.

Linux Mint's default setup of Gnome is the best I have ever seen and did not require any tweaking other than I added an applet to the Panel Bar that gives me the temperature - weather.

I did not run the XFCE version but if someone has an old system sitting around collecting dust, it may be worth a try. If you have an old system with 256 Megs of Ram or more, try the Gnome version.

Linux Mint 4.0 is based on Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon 7.10 which was recently released.

I find that Linux Mint is easy to install and the included Envy is a + too. I also like Linux Mint's Control Panel!

Included is Thunderbird, Firefox, OpenOffice, and several other software packages + many others are available for installation.

As always, if you are thinking of installing this or any other operating system, make sure to do a BACKUP!! before installing.

For those thinking a running a dual boot with Windows Vista, do some searching - reading on the net regarding the procedures for installation - dual booting with Vista and Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back