Light bulbs for hydroponic gardening?

I have found some great videos online for creating your own hydroponic garden towers. Unfortunately, they don't discuss what type of lighting that might work well and help your plants flourish.

I know plants require certain wave lengths (color temperatures, etc.) to photosynthesize. I'd like to build some light fixtures near my vegetables. Some of my hydroponic towers would be used indoors.

Does anyone have any expertise and/or advice about what type of light bulbs and fixtures I could use that might be inexpensive and yet would work well?

Thank you!

Ed

The lights for these are very interesting, it's a mix of different LED-s including infrared and ultraviolet diodes.

I cant help you directly but there is an incredible amount of reasonable priced lighting that I think you would be happy with. This is just one tiny source. The only reason I am aware of the subject is I have keep marine reef tanks for the last three decades and corals need specific lighting (mostly)
Now have a freshwater planted aquarium using LEDs.

Anyway, I always ran across hydroponic lighting in my search for aquarium lighting, sometimes a while back using much the same t5 tubes but now LED.
Both work fine, no best, though a good LED will be more economical to run and once again, A GOOD one should be reliable. (some do fail)
Just do searches for Hydroponic lights, LED hydroponic lights, T5 Hydroponic lights.
To repeat one small source below, the choice is freaking amazing, low cost too. There is also light that farms use in T5 tubes as well as LED.

Back