Light Bulbs - 60w - 9w

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new ecosmart light bulb... 60w but uses only 9w. The sales guy said if the fixture is only rated for 40w can't go up even if it is an 60 using 9. Is that right?

No he's an idiot the fixture is rated for power consumption and 9 is less than 40 so you're fine!

They just put those "60w" numbers on there because it makes it easier to compare to incandescent standards like 40,60,75,100w bulbs even though we've almost gotten rid of them.

Agreed, that salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. The LED bulb is drawing far less current from the line and is also producing far less waste heat, so no reason to not use a "60W equivalent" LED bulb that actually draws 9W in a 40W fixture.

I happened to be in MalWart a couple of days ago and saw a 2 pack of their 60W equiv bulbs, non-dimmable, for $4.44. Did not need bulbs at the moment, but I grabbed a pack, anyway. This type is rated for enclosed fixtures, too, many LEDs are still not recommended for that application.

Ive upgraded my house to LED over the last couple months from CFL. Ive cut over 1000kw by switching. Much prefer the light of the LED compared to CFL.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Ive upgraded my house to LED over the last couple months from CFL. Ive cut over 1000kw by switching. Much prefer the light of the LED compared to CFL.

You cut over a megawatt by changing? That's some house
laugh.gif

I thought the wattage rating was mainly for the head generated from the bulb, either way you're fine with a brighter LED.

I switched every bulb in the house to LEDs when I remodeled earlier this year, what a great investment! They stay cool, use a lot less energy and I am willing to bet I won't be running around replacing bulbs for at least a decade!

You are fine for the reasons above.

The only thing you might need to worry about is there is also a bulb size like a19 or a21 which represents the physical dimensions of the bulb. So you may need to check if the LED bulb is going to be compliant with the size of your 40w previous bulb.

There is some truth to what the salesman said but not for the reason he or anyone else is thinking.
Incandescent bulbs fixtures are designed for withstanding high temperatures, not good ventilation. LED electronics can't take much more than about 60 C to achieve the rated life. If the fixture is enclosed your LED bulb may get too hot.

Check the box the LED lamp came in, it should specify with a symbol if it can be used in a enclosed fixture.

If in doubt, check the LED bulb temp around the electronics and be sure it's under 70 C.

Thanks for all the advice.

Starting to feel like/act like my dad...Leaving store and spending $12 on 2 light bulbs. I know they will last, just one of those odd things.

My view is that CFLs ended up being a major bust...they lasted longer than incandescents, but not much. I could not believe the failure rate I was seeing for CFLs in our house in all types of fixtures, from fully enclosed to bare...of course, they were generally useless in outdoor fixtures in cold weather, and even indoors they took a while to brighten up.
LEDs rule! And, I don't say that just because I design drivers for them (among other things). ;^)

Originally Posted By: coopns
Thanks for all the advice.

Starting to feel like/act like my dad...Leaving store and spending $12 on 2 light bulbs. I know they will last, just one of those odd things.

You can get the 60 and 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs for $2-$3 everyday price at Walmart. I got a case of the Feit 60 watt equivalent dimmable and enclosed fixture rated at Dollar Tree for $1 each not long ago.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

My view is that CFLs ended up being a major bust...they lasted longer than incandescents, but not much. I could not believe the failure rate I was seeing for CFLs in our house in all types of fixtures, from fully enclosed to bare...of course, they were generally useless in outdoor fixtures in cold weather, and even indoors they took a while to brighten up.
LEDs rule! And, I don't say that just because I design drivers for them (among other things). ;^)

I would have to take the exact opposite viewpoint. CFLs have worked fantastic for me, inside and outside they have kept going for many years. I don't use them in a closet or light use applications - still have incandescent there. My outside post lamp that I used to replace yearly and burns 12hrs a day - a CFL lasts 5-6 years.

Haha darn typo lol

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You cut over a megawatt by changing? That's some house
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I would have to take the exact opposite viewpoint. CFLs have worked fantastic for me, inside and outside they have kept going for many years. I don't use them in a closet or light use applications - still have incandescent there. My outside post lamp that I used to replace yearly and burns 12hrs a day - a CFL lasts 5-6 years.

I've got a couple properties where the lights stay on 24x7. I've got one CFL bulb that has been on for the last 10 years or so, maybe it was off a couple of times during a power outage. They do last longer if you don't have to turn them on and off. I replaced them as they broke or were stolen, but there is one left and I'm just going to leave it for now. It was a 9w 40 watt equivalent bulb. As for stocking up on LED, I've gotten some 4 packs on clearance for $5 and Lowes had some LED ones for $1 on black friday. Those were only rated for 2000 hours though. Weird. I'll see how long those actually last.

My own anecdotal experience has been that there is a lot of quality variation in both CFL and LED bulbs. I've had CFL's that had very long life spans. I had four 23W (100W equivalent) CFL's in my kitchen, with frequent on/off cycles. The first one burned out after ten years. I have had LED bulbs that lasted several years left on continuously and some that burned out prematurely. I guess I went too cheap on those.

More so than with incandescents there seems to be more variation now. But, we didn't pay attention to it when bulbs were 25 cents each.

I now have a shoebox of half used CFLs. Their off-white bases are now a sickly yellow-brown. They still work after years in service. They're covered in bugs and spider webs. They still work perfect; they don't even buzz, flicker, or cause EMI. And they're the cheapest subsidized junk I could buy at the moment.

Glad they're in the box, now, though and out of service. My parents rent a summer place with incandescents, I might leave a donation.

WM had some 9/60 watters for $.88 (subsidized) that claim 22 year life, dimmable, and ok in exterior enclosed enclosures. UPC 681131119498.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back