lifter noise in a 4.0 Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could try Rotella T 10w-30 if you want a thinner grade, but a HDD. I just bought some that I'm going to try in my 4.0 next week when I change the oil. It's kind of hard to find though.

Originally Posted By: SmrtJustin
You could try Rotella T 10w-30 if you want a thinner grade, but a HDD. I just bought some that I'm going to try in my 4.0 next week when I change the oil. It's kind of hard to find though.

If you don't mind 5 gallon pails, 10w-30 HDEO is usually available at any farm supply place (TSC, etc.). It may very well be Shell Rotella.

Running 5w-30 Royal Purple in my 2001 4.0L XJ for a number of years and it is super quiet at idle. Before that was GC 0w-30 but lost a small percent in mileage. With RP since have averaged 20mpg+ mixed, up to 24 highway.

Is that with the 5-speed transmission or the automatic? Using standard old 10W-30 in my '99 XJ 5-speed I get about 25 all-highway, but if you're doing 24 with an automatic that's impressive.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Is that with the 5-speed transmission or the automatic? Using standard old 10W-30 in my '99 XJ 5-speed I get about 25 all-highway, but if you're doing 24 with an automatic that's impressive.

Yes sir. It's the AW-4 auto. :)

Oh and have RP Dex/Merc in the tranny also.

Ive run this in my 03 TJ for over 50K miles,the iron block 4.0 seems to love the stuff :)
Currently on my 4th 10K OCI
19.gif

SS/LS

Originally Posted By: SmrtJustin

My work '97 Cherokee 4.0 has had a tick for the last 40,000 miles.

Sounds like a lifter to me.

It has calmed down a bit lately.

Maybe our garage is using different oil.

I've owned 4.2L, 4.6L and 4.0L Jeeps for 25 years. These engines (atleast mine)love 20W-50, 10W-30. Currently, with my '04 Rubicon with only 5K miles, I'm using Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 with great results. This the same oil as Pennzoil P. IMHO, it "sounds" (the engine)better than with Mobil 1 5W-30.

Wow, an 04 Rubicon with only 5K. My 04 Unlimited just turned over to 9K and I thought I had low mileage. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 in mine.

FWIW, I used to work with a guy who had a mildly modded 02 Wrangler that he regularly off-roaded, and drove fairly hard in general. He claimed all he ever ran was whatever 10W-30 oil was on sale the cheapest. If nothing was on sale, it was Tech 2000/Supertech 10W-30 in it. Oil was changed every 3.5-4.5k km's. I remember his engine ran really well, and its still on the road.....

Hey Johnny!, glad to now you too have a TJ. In this city(Mexico City) traffic is so bad and wild,that I use a daily beater (Malibu '98)for a DD, but on sunny weeekends I take him out for a ride.
11.gif

I have a 3.7L in my dodge pickup that has the same chatter for the first few minutes. Trying to figure this out as well. Seems once my oil gets twoards the end of its OCI, that the start up quiets down alot. M1 EP 10w-30.

i run mobil 1 0w20 in my 96 grand w 170k. I get 21 mpg highway consistently (on the economy gauge) thats w/ 42RE and 31x10.5 M/T & 2" lift. So its prob a lil better than what it reads. Of course my motors loud, but even louder the thicker i go. I just put RP syncrhomax in my TC so we'll see if that effects my mpg or not.

Ive been thinking it was going to blow up for the last 40k. LOL just wont do it. Im building a 4.6L stroker for it so im kinda hoping it would.

Last edited:
Ok, strange thing happened. It is a bit colder here now and the other day the Jeep was ticking as usual at first and then after 45 seconds:
tick, tick, Tick, Yipp, YIPP, YIPP... and then almost silent. No tick that I could here from inside the car!
And no tick at all since then. What happened here???? Dirt in the engine?

Well, happy happy anyways.

lars11 ...are you saying that it now starts silently, or that it still makes its start up noise ..but no extended lifter noises?

Actually silent from first crank. A very discrete click that you need to stand over the hood to hear.
Strange, huh?!

Yes, lars..very curious. If it was a hot oil (low pressure) tick, I'd expect it to go away with the cold glue viscosity at colder temps. If it was a cold tick at startup, I'd expect it to get worse.

sure sounds like piston slap noise to me. I had the same issue in my LS1. I tried many varieties of oil, and I found that dino Valvoline 5-30 worked the best. Castrol and Shell dino oils worked pretty well also. Most synthetics made the noise worse, so I'm done with those. My guess is that whichever pistons stop near the top of their stroke when the engine shuts down will have a mild oil starvation problem on startup. Perhaps the peculiar "slippery" properties of synthetic oil prevent it from clinging to the cylinder walls. Lower surface tension? In any case, I now have 187K on my engine and it can sit for several days and won't make a tick on startup if I use Valvoline.

Based on my own experience, I'd suggest to try out some different dino oils...and thinner is probably better.

I have a friend with a 2002 4.0 wrangler with no noise issues. He uses YB Penzoil...not sure what weight though.

Has anyone tried ACD in this motor?

I have one and its getting pretty tempting, even though the 10w-30 ATM does a heck of a job.

Quote:
sure sounds like piston slap noise to me.

Never heard of this being an issue in a AMC/Jeep 4.0. You can develop lifter ticks ..which are common..and timing chain issues ..but other than that ..I really can't say that I've heard of to much else.

Well, let me qualify that. Contemporary 4.0's can have exhaust manifold cracks (rather common) that will confuse untrained ears. The rear main seals tend to seep or weep ..if not outright leak ..but that's not a noise thing ..but a common issue. Other than being a piggy on gas, it's a very forgiving engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back