Lexus ES power steering tight

My daughter is driving our Lexus ES and she tells me the PS is a bit tight. This didn't come as a surprise as it has been a little stiff to my liking as well.
Any ideas where I should invest in or debug from here - the PS fluid is flushed every 30K miles with ATF.

Cheers

Start by greasing the u-joints in the column. It's hard to get grease into the needle bearings so really massage it in there. Had that issue on my Camry.

Nevermind, I see now from your sig it is a 5th gen. Yes, the same applies to them. Also common in GS and LS models, a sort of all-across-the-make issue.
It really is
I'm amazed they haven't permanently cured it

I greased the factory one in my Camry, it helped
Then I replaced it with the revised part, and it was quiet for a few years
Then I greased the revised part, and that seems to have done it
Cars 18 years old with 200k+ on it, so now it's a bit of a symphony of noises

Sometimes the needle bearings dry out and bind (as @eljefino mentioned)

Sometimes it's the sliding/extending part of the shaft making the noise, sometimes it's stiff/squeaky u joints

My neighbors got an '04 Highlander that had a rack + PS pump thrown at it (before he moved in), still stiff steering
... probably should tell him

may I ask what is a needle bearing - I threw chain lube on the entire mating surface of the spindle, I couldn't find a hole to spray into

It really is
I'm amazed they haven't permanently cured it

I greased the factory one in my Camry, it helped
Then I replaced it with the revised part, and it was quiet for a few years
Then I greased the revised part, and that seems to have done it
Cars 18 years old with 200k+ on it, so now it's a bit of a symphony of noises

Sometimes the needle bearings dry out and bind (as @eljefino mentioned)

Sometimes it's the sliding/extending part of the shaft making the noise, sometimes it's stiff/squeaky u joints

My neighbors got an '04 Highlander that had a rack + PS pump thrown at it (before he moved in), still stiff steering
... probably should tell him
I bet you are right and lots of other PS components have been molested unnecessarily over time. Attacking other components instead of the simple shaft coupling.

may I ask what is a needle bearing - I threw chain lube on the entire mating surface of the spindle, I couldn't find a hole to spray into

This is one type of needle bearing. It is called that because instead of ball bearings, the assembly has long cylindrical bearings (can also be tapered). It can also be oriented axially to carry load like between driveline components.

2942BB02-874E-4E93-81E9-6119BA74EAC2.jpeg

This is one type of needle bearing. It is called that because instead of ball bearings, the assembly has long cylindrical bearings (can also be tapered). It can also be oriented axially to carry load like between driveline components.

Excellent this is what I saw on the spindle, it looked exactly like in the pic. So I was lubing the right surface and hopefully the lube gets in and reaches column of bearings.

Excellent this is what I saw on the spindle, it looked exactly like in the pic. So I was lubing the right surface and hopefully the lube gets in and reaches column of bearings.
What kind of lube did you spray in there?

I sprayed some garage door lube into ours years ago and never a re-occurence. Something that is designed to get tacky and hold is good (chain lube spray would also be good).

ETA: LoL, I missed above where you said chain lube. Perfect.

What kind of lube did you spray in there?

I sprayed some garage door lube into ours years ago and never a re-occurence. Something that is designed to get tacky and hold is good (chain lube spray would also be good).

ETA: LoL, I missed above where you said chain lube. Perfect.

Bicycle chain lube - comes out in a spray can and goes in as a gluey white grease

You guys are the real deal man... the steering column has smoothened out so much its like freeplay!!
Thank you all, didn't have to take it to a shop and get hoodwinked on costly repairs.

The hard steering is back and looks like it needs a new PS pump - any recommendations.
My installer says aftermarket has better warranty vs. OEM and they are no different in quality.
Any recommendations (many sites don't have remanufactured ones to explore..)

Back