Let's talk tire dressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love a high-gloss, wet-look finish on my tires, but I keep having issues with SLING.

And it totally ruins my hard work after one drive.

I have tried Meguiar's Endurance Gel, Griot's Black Shine Gel, Meguiar's Hot Shine Aerosol, and Armor All Foam. I get sling with them all.

Of the above, Griot's Black Shine is the longest lasting, and I get the least sling and the best look from Meguiar's Endurance.

I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Tire coating, but it had a weird finish and any overspray I didn't wipe off immediately was a burden to remove. It's also a horrible value per application.

So, have any of you found a tire dressing that gives a soaking wet look, and NO SLING?

Nope and the high gloss goes away in short order so it becomes more maintenance than one cares for.

Personally I prefer a matte finish. I currently use Gyeon Tire. It lasts long and it's not a surface only product but has SiO2 properties that protect the tire from uv.

Megs Hot Shine is my favorite of all I've used. I don't use the aerosol version. I use the spray applied with the microfiber "towels" that are often free at Harbor Freight. I like that the tires have the wet look for about a week without any sling. You can refresh the look by spraying a very small amount if you use the same towel to re apply. I've actually started to like the way my tires look after the first week better. This look last for quite a while. My least favorite has been Armor All. There's better products I'm sure but I'm only willing to spend so much on spiffy tires.

I like the Megs HOT SHOT, cleans and shines. Looks nice. But not very glossy/wet. Just like a clean a new tire.

Did you try the Meguiar's product that is applied with a sponge? I think it's part of their Endurance line, I would think it would be better for sling, but one never knows.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I have tried Meguiar's Endurance Gel

That's the purple syrup right? I work it into the rubber with a cheap paint brush and then smooth it out with my bare hands.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I have tried Meguiar's Endurance Gel

That's the purple syrup right? I work it into the rubber with a cheap paint brush and then smooth it out with my bare hands.

They make applicators for tire gel. However, this could be what bare hands were intended for.

Last edited:
Yes, Endurance Tire Gel is the purple ooze. I use a foam applicator.

I try to apply as little as necessary but I still get sling. I can apply it and wipe the tire down 30 minutes later and get minimal sling, but I lose that deep shine.

The only two products I apply with bare (gloved) hands is Meguiar's 7 and MaxCoat Wheel Guard.

Anyone have experience with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing?

If you want a wet look then you can't avoid sling.

But if you want a DEEP/DARK look then spray/apply the product BEFORE you rinse the tires during the wash (but obviously AFTER you've scrubbed the tires with cleaner). This will rinse away the excess. You may need to buff afterwards but the rubber will look brand new.

Yes, Endurance Tire Gel is the purple ooze. I use a foam applicator.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of; too bad it didn't work the way you wanted. How about the Meguiar's Hot Shine in the pump sprayer? Maybe try that with a foam applicator, and see how it turns out.

This might be stupid, but what if you used a hair dryer on the tire shine? Would it dry it up a little bit and make it not sling?

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
They make applicators for tire gel. However, this could be what bare hands were intended for.

You'll see professional shoe shiners at the airport apply shoe polish with their bare hands; I got the idea from them.

I didn't know they made applicators for tire gel; that's interesting.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

You'll see professional shoe shiners at the airport apply shoe polish with their bare hands; I got the idea from them.

I would strongly advise against this practice, as there are countless toxins in those products which can and will affect your health over the long term.
If you insist on applying it with your hands, at least wear some latex/rubber gloves.

I just use which ever matte finish clean & shine spray foam available that you spray on and walk away from - bending over to detail tires at old age is a pain (lol !)

While I never use it anymore I always used Meguiar's all Season Dressing in their Detailer line. I always applied it by spraying it on an old microfiber and applying to the tire. It always had a great shine, never slung, and lasted a good while. It is a little pricey as it only came by the gallon. Unfortunately like most (if not all) tire shines/dressings the brown goo cleaning it up the next wash was unbearable.

Last edited:
The only thing I've ever used that didn't sling trim restorer, like Turtle Wax, etc. I originally bought some to use on all the fading plastic on my '05 Sport Trac, and tried it on tires once and really liked it. It makes tires very shiny, but seem to be effective with a thinner layer, which helps with the sling. Unlike the spray products, it can withstand a couple of rinses to remove the dust, without losing its shine.

This is one of the best tire dressing. Watch the videos on youtube, read the reviews and go buy and see for yourself.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back