let go from a job last minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
These things happen.
You'll move on and find another job.
Most employers keep removing an employee close to the vest until they actually say goodbye.
Sorry that this happened, but I know that you'll survive and move on.
The job market is pretty robust right now, so you might find this to be a blessing in disguise since you might find yourself a better opportunity, although I realize that it really sucks to be let go when you though things were going fine.
Best wishes for a quick and successful job search.

I was laid off from my last job over the phone pack up your lap top and phone send fed ex collect

I did after the checks cleared
85 of us lost jobs that day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and i was out on sales calls with the CEO a week before not a hint of trouble

Last edited:
I was part of a massive lay off. The buggers waited until December 23rd to do it and then tried to tell us all we have 5 days to consider their severance offer which is against the law. We have 1 year if we don't sign. Not that they were around that long. I pushed and got 6 months instead of the 2 weeks they offered all of us because I threatened an employment lawyer.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I was part of a massive lay off. The buggers waited until December 23rd to do it and then tried to tell us all we have 5 days to consider their severance offer which is against the law. We have 1 year if we don't sign. Not that they were around that long. I pushed and got 6 months instead of the 2 weeks they offered all of us because I threatened an employment lawyer.
grin2.gif

That's right! Let them know that you are not a patsy or pushover.

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
I was laid off from my last job over the phone pack up your lap top and phone send fed ex collect

I did after the checks cleared
85 of us lost jobs that day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and i was out on sales calls with the CEO a week before not a hint of trouble

Sounds like my friend playing golf with company COO and CFO on a Saturday. He asked about rumors of layoffs at the company and both said he is safe from any layoff..... 2 days later HR Dept calls him into their office to give him the bad news.

It turned out much better for him in the long run.

I've been at my job in a wealthy individuals flight department exactly 20 years. The boss has moved from FL to NYC and he's hired the NY mafia to take care of his airplanes up there. I wish him well, as I'm moving on.

He created all sorts of drama, basically forcing us to leave. For example, refusing to cover our (rather substantial) business travel expenses. It worked. No severance, no move package, no bump in pay if we move. Just "don't let the door hit your rear as you leave".

Lesson: Look out for number one and always work at having other opportunities lined up. loyalty means nothing.

Happens to everyone, almost, at some point.

Your local (State, etc) labour laws govern how and when you can be laid off, but six months tenure doesn't buy you much, if anything, for recourse.

Life lesson, move on. Keep good relations, they might hire you back at some point. If what you say is true they almost certainly will give you a very good recommendation; ask for a letter from them, do it now while they still feel guilty. Dom't burn bridges.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Your local (State, etc) labour laws govern how and when you can be laid off, but six months tenure doesn't buy you much, if anything, for recourse.

Life lesson, move on. Keep good relations, they might hire you back at some point. If what you say is true they almost certainly will give you a very good recommendation; ask for a letter from them, do it now while they still feel guilty. Dom't burn bridges.

Your last sentence is a very good one.
The world can be a very small one when looking for decent employment, so it's never wise to follow a scorched earth policy in dealing with a former employer.
That is unless you have a secure retirement in sight which your ex-employer can in no way screw with.
Then you can have all the fun you want shooting at any organization's many clay pigeons.

I had been at a local bike shop for 5 months, and we got a letter asking for a voluntary redundancy...the 3 of us can choose who. Duh, like the service manager and apprentice were going to fall on their sword, the letter was meant for me. So I went to see the boss, and asked when my last day was going to be. ''Today, you can take your tools home now.''

Actually it was better that way, instead of working out 2 weeks, then getting 2 weeks pay, I had 4 weeks pay, and more time to look for work.

Last year I was ''let go'' from my job when they shut the place down, and went back to the bike shop, again. Not happy there and ready to pack it after 4 weeks, and then I got a call from the last place, they want me back again somewhere else. This is the 3rd time I've worked for them - don't burn bridges, never leave in a bad mood.

Another place I was being squeezed out, and was having a big yelling match with the boss, nose to nose. I was nearly going to storm out, raze the bridge, but said ''Say it Ken, it has to come from you !'' So he said I had to go, then we were friends again, and he said take the rest of the day off and tell your wife. I had a job the next day.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Your last sentence is a very good one.
The world can be a very small one when looking for decent employment, so it's never wise to follow a scorched earth policy in dealing with a former employer.
That is unless you have a secure retirement in sight which your ex-employer can in no way screw with.
Then you can have all the fun you want shooting at any organization's many clay pigeons.

All that happens when you burn a bridge is that you have to them build a new one.

Originally Posted By: LaCocina27
Originally Posted By: StevieC
grin2.gif

That's right! Let them know that you are not a patsy or pushover.

If they only knew how weak I was...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back