Leaving the pistol in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Ohio recently passed a law allowing CCW holders to have their gun in a locked glove box in their personal vehicle while parked on the employers property, regardless of what anti gun signs the employer may have posted.

Does that law also prevent the employee from getting fired if the company has a rule about no guns on company property, including parking lots? Smoking isn't against the law, but many companies have rules about no smoking on company property, and they can terminate someone if they wanted to over it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Does your job have a 30.06 sign? If it's not the official 30.06 sign,their policy can't hold water. If they do in fact have the official 30.06 sign,that just means you can't enter the building with it. Keep it in your car completely hidden and secured.

I doubt that is required. It is simply a condition of employment.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Ohio recently passed a law allowing CCW holders to have their gun in a locked glove box in their personal vehicle while parked on the employers property, regardless of what anti gun signs the employer may have posted.

Does that law also prevent the employee from getting fired if the company has a rule about no guns on company property, including parking lots? Smoking isn't against the law, but many companies have rules about no smoking on company property, and they can terminate someone if they wanted to over it.

I don't know the specifics of the law in Ohio, but here in Minnesota the law is very specific.

"An employer or a postsecondary institution may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area."

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

I don't know the specifics of the law in Ohio, but here in Minnesota the law is very specific.

"An employer or a postsecondary institution may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area."

Not too specific though, because it doesn't specifically say company owned parking lot or facility, but I'm assuming that's the intent of the language - ? Or are they really talking only about public parking lots used by employees when parking for work? Not all companies actually own their own parking lots. An employee still might be open to termination if the company considers the parking lots they own "company property". No different in the eyes of the company than the company owned property inside the office area.

A few years ago someone where I worked got terminated because Security just happened to look through the window of a parked car on a company owned parking lot and saw a handgun sticking out a little bit from under the seat.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Toros
Good way to get shot on a MV stop if you are are ever pulled over by a cop is to keep a gun in your glove box when getting your reg. and insurance ID.

Declare a firearm is in the glove box before opening it, then ask the officer how they wish to proceed.

+1

I keep mine in the console along with insurance papers. 2 times I have been pulled over and handed my DL and CCL license to officer. I explained I do have a firearm in the console as well as my proof of insurance. I ask how they want me to proceed. Never an issue. Both times officer thanked me how I handled the situation and let me go with warnings.

Has anyone ever been forced by their employer to allow a manager to search their car?? Doubt it. It's a non issue. Keep the gun locked up in the car while at work.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Nevada law treats your vehicle as an extension of your home. I worked for the University of Nevada system, which prohibits firearms on their property. We were able to keep firearms in our vehicles because even though they were parked on university property, as long as they were inside the car, they were "at home".

The OP needs to find out if Illinois offers any similar provisions under the law.

Ed

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Toros
Good way to get shot on a MV stop if you are are ever pulled over by a cop is to keep a gun in your glove box when getting your reg. and insurance ID.

Declare a firearm is in the glove box before opening it, then ask the officer how they wish to proceed.

He's an ex cop. And yet you are the one to give the intelligent response.

Yeah...and one who's forgotten more than you'll ever know about guys with guns in their cars.
If you have to keep it in your vehicle, tuck it in the back pocket of the passenger seat and stuff a rag over it. It's easier to grab if you need it and it will pose minimal threat to a cop in a MV stop provided you keep your hands front and center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back