LC20 in an ARX rinse phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning the thought had crossed my mind about using LC20 in the Auto-Rx rinse phase (with dino oil, of course) and was thinking if it would enhance or perhaps actually hinder the effectiveness of the rinse process.

Since LC20 is not a true ester but is stated to be a "near" ester and apparently likes high temperature/pressure and carbon as well, it seems that it would actually help out the rinse phase by using it; however, the near-ester quality of LC20 (may) possibly hinder the rinse effectiveness...?

I'm not a chemist but this is a question IMO worth asking.

I do not wish to be shot down for mentioning and using both products, either (I do not use them simultaneously). They both work and work well in their intended applications.

I don't think you want an ester or "near" ester such as LC-20 around during the rinse phase. You want to keep the rinse simple; plain jane conventional is preferred.

My thoughts were since LC20 is a "lubricious solvent" (I think Terry Dyson referred to it as such) that it would aid in the rinse phase.

I must also point out that it was Terry who mentioned the high temp/pressure and carbon affinity characteristics of LC20 in a post about 18 months ago in which I was commenting on LC20.

OK. I guess I'll have to further elaborate-

One installs Auto-Rx @ two ounces per quart of oil sump capacity with a new filter for the CLEANING phase; in my case it's about eight ounces total. They then drive 1500 miles on the CLEANING phase, then replace existing crankcase oil with non-synthetic (dino) oil and a new filter for the RINSE phase. At this point there is very little Auto-Rx remaining in the engine but not zero. Since the purpose of the RINSE phase is obvious- remove the contaminants that the Auto-Rx has been working on- if LC20 in the dino oil RINSE phase would help or hinder the process, I don't know. This is the focus of my question. If the itty-bitty trace amount of Auto-Rx remaining is actually essential for the RINSE phase to be fully effective then there may in fact be an issue with chemistry competition.

I hope this clarifies my intent of this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back