Lawnmower hit tree root

SJ323

Was using my troy bilt tb200 mower today and ended up hitting a tree root. The mower turned off immediately and blew out the filter assembly. I reinstalled it and I checked to see if the blade was bent, it wasnt. However, the starter assembly seemed a bit slack since it was moving a bit with each pull. Anyway, I continued mowing. But, when I was putting the mower away, I saw that the bolt on the valve cover tore away from a metal sheet (mounting plate?) it was screwed into and split the threaded hole in half. Any advice?

20230303_201249_082827.jpg
20230303_201253_082805.jpg
20230303_201302_082740.jpg
20230303_201306_082719.jpg
20230303_201311_082653.jpg
20230303_201315_082603.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like it's always been like that, possibly put together wrong at the factory. The black part is just a sheet metal cover. The bolt actually continues past there and screws into the aluminum main part of the engine. If it's not leaking oil or making any unusual vibration or noise it should be OK to keep running.

Need to pull the spark plug turn the blade look at the outer edge see if the shaft is bent. If bent it will have a vibration. Also possible shaft key either at blade or flywheel maybe damage.
It ran fine after restarting, I didn't notice any difference. However, I could be wrong about it being bent. So, I'll check it out and see.

That looks like it's always been like that, possibly put together wrong at the factory. The black part is just a sheet metal cover. The bolt actually continues past there and screws into the aluminum main part of the engine. If it's not leaking oil or making any unusual vibration or noise it should be OK to keep running.
I've never seen it look like that in my 2 years of owning it. I don't see any leaking any oil. So, I hope it's alright.

It's a lawn mower. The impact of the blade hitting the root probably caused some of the external parts
to break or loosen on impact. If it still runs OK then cut away. I'd take the blade off and inspect thoroughly.
Sharpen it while it's off. Tighten up whatever is/came loose, check the oil and cut away.

I can't see how a blade impact with a tree root can damage the valve cover or the bolt.
I stand corrected on that part. After looking closely at troy bilt's photos, it was built that way. That black paint is really good at hiding things.

Back