Latest move by Quebec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: Propflux01
If your going to any country to live, you should abide by that country's standards, heritage, laws, etc. If you do not like, agree, or accept them, don't move there. ...

This is my response when people imigrate to the USA then condemn this place or people for whatever reason. If you don't like it, you are free to leave. If you feel you can constructively improve it, then make the effort. There is always room for improvement.

While agreeing with most if it, I have to point out a few things here:

You can learn a language, but you cannot change your accent easily especially if you learn the language in the middle age and later.

Some people have bias against what they are not familiar with, they just don't like people that are different regardless of how people blend in. We have enough people in the US complaining about minorities that were born here and are part of the culture (although the major group think that they are the only correct culture). What makes you think it will be a fair judgement on foreigners that are doing everything already?

While I believe most people will be rational about it, I have seen enough ridiculous nut case on both sides to believe that foreigners will always be treated fair and just by everyone. To be fair that is the same the other way around too.

On BITOG I've seen post about:

1) Irish parents think their children have no self respect dating people with dark complexion

2) People thinking jobs should be reserved for the "more American" local born citizen vs the one naturalized, "just because"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Propflux01

My problem on that is this: If your going to any country to live, you should abide by that country's standards, heritage, laws, etc. If you do not like, agree, or accept them, don't move there

If that logic ever worked, then European settlers here in North America would be here, living in peace and mutual respect with the natives in harmony with the land.

Fact is, genocide was the choice that was made. And we're not living anywhere near "peacefully" and "in harmony with the land", not even by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just really, really glad that immigrants are not systematically disenfranchising, and wiping us into extinction. For that alone, I can be grateful.

PandaBear, your post is more thorough than mine, thank you.

I am not against imigrants at all. My point was that if someone imigrates to another country (usually to improve their life), then decides that they can't stand the new place or people, please don't hang around to build up anger and resentment. Just make another move instead.

I am aware that imigrants often face discrimination simply due to their appearance or accent. Aliens!
lol.gif

And that the settlers did bad things to the natives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back