Last time that you ate offal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to frequent a Chinese BBQ place that had "Pigs Offals" proudly displayed on the menu. Never had ordered them, though.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Anyone here eaten "Rocky Mountain Oysters"?
They call them "calf fries" in Texas.

Ever see the girl contestants on Fear Factor eat RMOs as part of the challenge? The residual testosterone kicks in almost instantly and they start getting REALLY into the competition and more aggressive. It's hilarious

I think the risk is low but Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is 100% fatal if you get it. It is possible to get from eating animal brains. Not enough research to know for sure yet. So no cooked brains for me.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Offal is the term for organs...possibly any part which isn't muscle. Ergo tongue mightn't be offal strictly defined but I'm not sure.
I get my offal from sausages. Tried scrapple once in Pennsylvania and didn't care for it.
They do say it's the smart man who eats the animal from nose to tail.

I think you're actually right.
Still, I was thinking of bits of animals a bit out of the ordinary.
Someone also mentioned that real soul food perennial, chitlins.
I've had them and they aren't bad, kind of like very rich chicken in flavor.

Sausages & tamales are my limit these days, I started having some issues with gout about 10 years ago. Growing up we slaughtered our own cattle and ate everything but the brains, lungs, & tripe. My dad would fix kidneys for him & the dog alone, the one time he tried frying instead of boiling them he had to take the skillet into the backyard. We all ate liver, heart, tongue. My mom would blanch liver before frying it, I haven't found any restaurants that do that. Liver & onions with bacon fried in the bacon grease was a staple meal in our house. A family from Louisiana introduced us to barbecued (really grilled) liver.

It's said that eating animals head to tail is how indigenous people in far northern climates avoided diseases like scurvy and ricketts before the modern world made citrus fruits and vitamin supplements available.

There's a cowboy dish called SOB stew but I've only seen it cooked on TV.

Last edited:
Was it a Chicago slaughterhouse owner who said "The only part of a pig we can't use is its squeal"?.

Going off topic a bit, but along with calf fries, who eats Bombay Duck, Colonial Goose, or Prairie Oysters?.

Claud.

Also known as The Gentleman from Odessa stew. Because, the joke goes, a gentleman from Odessa is a son of a [censored] anywhere else.

37.gif

No thanks!

I just boiled up a pound of chicken gizzards and hearts. I reserved the broth to cook two cups of brown rice, and then added peas and carrots. The dogs love it.

Not since I was a kid - I was brought up on brains and lambs tongue as toddler. I'll never go back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back