Largest oil capacity vehicle you have owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
86 Mercedes 420SEL and 560SL both held around 8-8.5 qts. It was strange owning a Buick Roadmaster at the same time, the 5.7L in that car had a tiny little filter and only held 4 qts, as I recall...really a clear insight into the different design philosophies between MB and GM, and the different expectations.

2001 F150 5.4L, 6 quarts.
First time I ever let it drain for hours while I did something else and ended up with 6.5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
1962 peterbilt with a small Cam Cummins...12 gallons.

Ouch!

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
It was strange owning a Buick Roadmaster at the same time, the 5.7L in that car had a tiny little filter and only held 4 qts, as I recall...really a clear insight into the different design philosophies between MB and GM, and the different expectations.

Yet..................... look at the results?

A LOT (and I mean a LOT) of 5.7's go 300,000 miles only having 4 quarts in the sump their whole life.

I just don't see that many Mercedes car accomplishing the same thing.

7 qts in a 4.2 Chevy Trailblazer.

Originally Posted By: mahansm
My 1999 Bluebird Wanderlodge with Detroit Diesel 12.7 liter 60 series; 40 quarts. Also takes 8 quarts for the generator.
37 quarts in the transmission, 20 quarts hydraulic oil, and 25 gallons coolant (plus a couple for the generator).

Fluid change time is not kind to the wallet.

Yeah, but how often is an oil change?

2002 Ford F150: Havoline HM 5w-20, Ecogard Filter, 5k OCI

2012 Scion xB: QSUD 0w-20 syn, CQ Blue (Wix) Filter, 5k OCI

Engine oil: 1 year/15,000 miles. Delo/Rotella/Delvac 15W40 dino
Genny oil: 100 hours. same as engine
Transmission: 4 years/300,000 miles using TranSynd fluid ($11/qt) or 1 year on Dexron III
Coolant as required; tested every 6 months. Some additives can be renewed without changing the coolant. Fleetguard.
Hydraulic oil: 2 years, uses Rando
Plus filters for engine oil (2 ea), transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, coolant, fuel (2 different) and air, as well as fuel, air, and oil
filters for the generator.

Last edited:
86 Mercedes 420SEL and 560SL both held around 8-8.5 qts. It was strange owning a Buick Roadmaster at the same time, the 5.7L in that car had a tiny little filter and only held 4 qts, as I recall...really a clear insight into the different design philosophies between MB and GM, and the different expectations.

My parents also had a 420SEL and 380SL, for one thing it made oil changes easy - a case of Delo from Costco and 2 jugs were used.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It was strange owning a Buick Roadmaster at the same time, the 5.7L in that car had a tiny little filter and only held 4 qts, as I recall...really a clear insight into the different design philosophies between MB and GM, and the different expectations.

Yet..................... look at the results?

A LOT (and I mean a LOT) of 5.7's go 300,000 miles only having 4 quarts in the sump their whole life.

I just don't see that many Mercedes car accomplishing the same thing.
u wot? Mercedes are always amongst the most long lived in the road, maybe not as much anymore but I’ve had plenty of benzes with well over 300k throughout the years, all on their original engines, transmissions, diffs, head gaskets, etc.

Originally Posted By: JEL01
Mercedes are always amongst the most long lived in the road,

Yes, back in the day when they were well made.

STILL - you don't see many "not nearly new" MB's driving anymore, anywhere in the USA.

At any rate, it's pretty common knowledge that keeping a MB drivable for any number of years still takes a lot more $$$$ than any average person would like to spend.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Caprice takes 8 qts

Is the massive capacity from some LEO package add ons?

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Gen5 Camaro = 8 qts !

I never would have guess that but not being up on the engine choices for that car, I guess it is not out of the question.

My wife's 3.6 Impala take 5.7 Ltr's of oil and my 13 Ram Hemi takes 6.6 Ltr's.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Mercedes 300CD with the OM617 - 7 qts.

Ditto. It was nice when AA had that Peak 15w40 for like $3/gallon.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Caprice takes 8 qts

Is the massive capacity from some LEO package add ons?

Nope, G8 has that pan as does the Camaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back