Largest continuous oil and gas resource potential ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by Donald
Just what we don't need. More fossil fuel to pump out of the ground. I guess its better than finding more coal.

Interested in what your SOLUTIONS are to providing people and industries with reliable low cost power...

Any hints that you'd like to share with us ?

Accelerate our research into Fusion. Until then solar and wind power.

I often wonder what will happen if weather patterns change and wind no longer flows through all of those Wind Turbines in Iowa.

It is no secret that I am a proponent of Nuclear Energy. Highest energy density of any energy source, then coal, Oil, and gas.

I am also a proponent of "distributed" PBR nuclear reactors instead of the mega, centralized nuclear reactors.

This type of nuclear reactor is far safer than the Breeder reactors that we have had a rather hit-and-miss success.

The newer "Pebble Bed' Reactors" (PBRs) are far smaller, denser and cleaner with huge potential for energy. Cheap to build and small enough to fit on one or two semi flat beds. The greatest single advantage, however, is that a PBR simply CAN NOT melt down. It's by design physically impossible. I would love to see this developed rather than these horrific wind farms that cover hills and kill birds by the 1,000's....

The current problem with fusion technology is "containment." If we we can perfect magnetic suspension, the plasma can be held securely without contacting any other matter.

Last edited:
Msr thorium reactors were our past 1950-1969 but also need to be our future

They make 99% less waste
Use existing nuclear waste as suplimental fuel
And cannot melt down

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I often wonder what will happen if weather patterns change and wind no longer flows through all of those Wind Turbines in Iowa.

It is no secret that I am a proponent of Nuclear Energy. Highest energy density of any energy source, then coal, Oil, and gas.

I am also a proponent of "distributed" PBR nuclear reactors instead of the mega, centralized nuclear reactors.

This type of nuclear reactor is far safer than the Breeder reactors that we have had a rather hit-and-miss success.

The newer "Pebble Bed' Reactors" (PBRs) are far smaller, denser and cleaner with huge potential for energy. Cheap to build and small enough to fit on one or two semi flat beds. The greatest single advantage, however, is that a PBR simply CAN NOT melt down. It's by design physically impossible. I would love to see this developed rather than these horrific wind farms that cover hills and kill birds by the 1,000's....

The current problem with fusion technology is "containment." If we we can perfect magnetic suspension, the plasma can be held securely without contacting any other matter.

MolaKule, thanks for this comment. I had never heard of PBR nuclear reactors so my curiosity prompted me to do a little interweb research. It is a fascinating possibility. The bit I did read commented on increased waste but I'm guessing that research could work that issue out.

It's a terrible thing in the long run! The use fossil fuels is helping to increase global warming. It's a fact. While it may not be ALL caused by man, there is no denying that a huge portion is. Thinking about today is easier than thinking about the future.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Nothing brings it out of the woodwork more than a thread like this.

True although that was not the original intent.

Another thing to consider is that a lot more comes from oil than just gasoline and motor oil. So many products depend on petroleum.

These resources are there for us to use. Someday different technology will give us different methods of transportation but progress is not instant as some would like it to be.

Perhaps a few plastic keyboards pinging this thread … Maybe even the jug your favorite brand of lube comes in …

Nuclar may not catch on for quite some time. Japan is re-thinking nuclear after Fukushima. I don't know what the solution is this is not an area I'm well versed in. I don't know if continuing to use fossil fuels is a good thing. Often in crisis, we see ingenuity come up with solutions. I'm not sure more supply of fossil fuels is a good long run solution.

Originally Posted by buster
Nuclar may not catch on for quite some time. Japan is re-thinking nuclear after Fukushima. I don't know what the solution is this is not an area I'm well versed in. I don't know if continuing to use fossil fuels is a good thing. Often in crisis, we see ingenuity come up with solutions. I'm not sure more supply of fossil fuels is a good long run solution.

They are evaluating multiple sources but their energy needs are such that several of the nuclear plants have restarted. The ones that are shut down are older facilities and of course Fukushima Daiichi. They have been using a lot of LNG for power generation in the interim.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by buster

They are evaluating multiple sources but their energy needs are such that several of the nuclear plants have restarted. The ones that are shut down are older facilities and of course Fukushima Daiichi. They have been using a lot of LNG for power generation in the interim.

Informative, thanks PimTac.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Just what we don't need. More fossil fuel to pump out of the ground. I guess its better than finding more coal.

Interested in what your SOLUTIONS are to providing people and industries with reliable low cost power...

Any hints that you'd like to share with us ?

Accelerate our research into Fusion. Until then solar and wind power.

Sorry, I asked for SOLUTIONS...

try again...

Don't worry. Every few years they discover a new largest oil/gas deposit, ask lindsay williams or whatever his name was. Was just thinking about this in relation to Canada's potential diversification with LNG exports to China. Just thought, "I'd have to be some kind of moron to think that China is not sitting on MASSIVE RESERVES" and how relying on LNG exports to China after an investment of LNG export infrastructure can fail.

USA has a buttload of oil and gas reserves, even before the announcement of this one. They're barely touching any of it.
Well, to be honest last I read were that the electrical generators (train engines in a shipping continer) used to power the ionospheric heating array in Gakona were fueled by these gas reserves. But HAARP as one single, specific aray is really old news (and no, it wasn't shut down either)
smile.gif

Originally Posted by oliveoil
It's a terrible thing in the long run! The use fossil fuels is helping to increase global warming. It's a fact. While it may not be ALL caused by man, there is no denying that a huge portion is. Thinking about today is easier than thinking about the future.

I would keep the topic of GW totally out of this discussion as that topic will get this thread closed in a snap.

Suggest we avoid the political and keep it scientific.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by oliveoil

I would keep the topic of GW totally out of this discussion as that topic will get this thread closed in a snap.

Suggest we avoid the political and keep it scientific.

Sure, let's leave the completely hypothetical, un-scientific GW topic out of this!

"I would keep the topic of GW totally out of this discussion as that topic will get this thread closed in a snap."

"Suggest we avoid the political and keep it scientific."

ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

The biggest problems I see with the alternatives to coal/gasoline/CNG is that there are no really viable storage solutions for them. Hydrocarbons store the energy locally and are available for use at any time.

Solar is great, while the sun is shining. Wind power is great (other than for birds and the people who live near them) while the wind is blowing. There is no convenient, low-loss way to store the energy created from these sources; all of them include pretty heavy conversion losses through converters/inverters or using the electricity generated to generate and store hydrogen. Batteries on a scale to provide storage for these to support a grid are clearly completely unattainable. Believe me, I'm not diametrically opposed to these technologies- I've done several projects with photovoltaics, solar space heating, and hydrogen fuel cells and think they are fascinating, but the realist in me says using these technologies large scale adds many more layers of complexity and opportunities for failure than coal/NG plants.

I also can see nuclear being a viable form of inexpensive generation- I was in the Navy and you can see when you run reactors on sound principles with extremely rigorous training and procedures, you too can have a 60+ year record of flawless operation. However, when you toss in lackadaisical maintenance procedures and cost-cutting to please bean counters, you can seriously run afoul in a horrible way.

Shannow, to (partially) answer your question, I think we have had some answers or at least good paths to chase for over 100 years which have either been suppressed or talked up enough as "crazy" or "impossible" as to discourage anyone from pursuing those technologies. Things like Tesla's bladeless turbine, wireless electrical transmission, and things like capturing radiant energy fascinate me to no end. I think Tesla had it right- we are awash in energy all around us; we simply need to let nature provide the work and harness it. Just think of what he may have achieved had his ideas not directly challenged the fortunes of the industrial tycoons of the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back