Kohler v-twin engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the hangup is. Lots of auto engines come with nylon timing gears- there's other reasons besides cost. Noise is a big one, and believe it or not they'll last the life of the engine just like a cheap metal one, which is what the single and twin cyl's used to come with.

There is linerless using a special aluminum alloy that wears better, and there there is linerless using a coating like Nikasil. The coated linerless engines simply do not wear out. Even air cooled like the boxer beemer motorcycles, some folks have over 500K on original pistons, cylinders and rings. Actually better than most cast iron, and still less expensive (I have heard) for the OE than liners.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
There is linerless using a special aluminum alloy that wears better, and there there is linerless using a coating like Nikasil. The coated linerless engines simply do not wear out. Even air cooled like the boxer beemer motorcycles, some folks have over 500K on original pistons, cylinders and rings. Actually better than most cast iron, and still less expensive (I have heard) for the OE than liners.

Rod

I owned an R100 (1000cc BMW) back in the 80s. The engine cylinders were coated with nikasil.

I tried to find info on what B&S use to coat their Koolbore engines and all I found was that the coating was specially formulated hardened aluminum?

The Simplicity snowblower that I owned had a 305cc Koolbore engine on it. Easy starting and very strong. Considering it was only used 10 to 20 hours a year, the engine would likely last the life of the machine. However, if I recall correctly, that engine did consume oil. Not tons but certainly enough to have to check before every use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back