kohker oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the opinion that the 7000 series is a dumbed down version of the Kohler Command Pro developed for the homeowner segment. I don't know much about Kohler since I use the better Kawasaki's
cool.gif
. I do have a Kohler generator at work, but it has a very cute Ford 4 cyl. engine. I also have a Kohler bathroom sink!

Been using Amsoil ASE 10W30 small engine oil in my series 7000 3years now never drop burned seems to be excellent oil using OEM filters yearly oil changes in a SCAG Zero turn

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by j_mac
Everyone correct me if this is wrong... I was just at my local Tractor Supply asking what small engine oil they keep and their guy who seemed like he knew a bit recommended Kohler 10w-30 for my generator. He said Kohler puts a "tracer" in their oil and if you don't use their oil they can deny a warranty claim. He also said "all the manufacturers put tracers in their oil for this purpose." I'm calling bullocks. But I thought it might be relevant to this discussion.

This post reminds me of when my mom bought a new riding lawn mower about 10 years ago. The salesman was ADAMANT that only non-detergent 30 weight be used in her new mower. He insisted on it. He even sold her a few quarts of it with the purchase of the new mower. He had her so convinced that she absolutely did not believe me when I told her that detergent oil was the oil to use. So....I opened up the operator's manual and showed her exactly what the factory said to use in it, exactly what the salesman said not to use. Had the mower experienced engine failure during the warranty period and the factory found out that non-detergent oil was in the engine, the warranty could be refused.
Why are these idiots allowed to sell lawn mowers anyway?

1. Find a another place to get the riding mower serviced. This is vary important to do as you were to proceed to do the other steps. Of course, thats if you convinced your mother that you could use a detergent oil.

2. Speak the owner and/or manager about what happened. If they are defiant, tell them that you are going to speak to the manufacturer about what happened.

3. If changes are not made at dealer, them speak to the manufacturer. If the manufacturer cares, they could have dealer correct the errors of there way if they were want to keep there dealership.

I have some walmart closeout 15w40 diesel Valvoline conventional I bought for 5 bucks a bottle. I will probably use that up in the mower then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back