Kitty food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

Several years ago I went thru the kidney disease with my 17 yo male cat, gave him fluids under the skin for quite some time also..

Please elaborate that more...I dont get it
smile.gif

You put some extra "fluid"
Or "fluid" means "some medicine" for his kidneys?

Animals with kidney disease, there is stage 1 thru 4, consume a lot of water to help flush their kidneys. The more water they drink, the more electrolytes and potassium is striped or excreted from their body causing them to become very dehydrated and unable to retain hydration causing them to become very weak, and they will quickly advance in stages and go into complete kidney failure causing death. If an animal was in say stage 3, with another issue, say a urinary tract infection like my cat just had and that infection was able to be cured and the animal was rehydrated, and potassium and electrolyte levels were restored, then another re evaluation blood test in 2/3 weeks would be done and may re establish a lower stage hopefully. In my cats case, she went from stage 3, down to stage 2, but she will require some potassium and electrolytes to help her out or she would go back into a dehydration condition fairly quick, within weeks. With me giving her some fluids from an IV bag with a large needle once a week, she maybe able to remain in stage 2 for quite some time, maybe a year or two, it is un known. She is a young cat at 9 yo for kidney disease. You never know, maybe she ate some bad stuff, maybe it was the urinary tract infection, only time will tell, but I will give her the best chance for recovery/survival that I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back