KIA vs Hyundai ATF....same?

Hi,
Since I plan on keep my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition well past 100K miles, I am planned to do my first automatic transmission drain and refill now at 40K miles. To all you Kia and Hyundai enthusiasts out there, I just want to confirm that the KIA Type 4 (m) ATF is exactly the same as the Hyundai SP4 (m) ATF??
The price difference is dramatic. The KIA ATF is 10.15/qt and the Hyundai ATF is $18.75/qt.

Thanks!
Michael in NJ

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 381
I'm sure the required specifications are the same but I don't know enough about how Kia and Hyundai do business to say it's the exact same fluid. They made be made by different suppliers if Kia and Hyundai have individual contracts.

One might be Shell and the other Mobil if the are US sourced.

Kia did have an agreement with Total but I'm not sure it extends to the USA.

Last edited:
Type 4m supersedes everything. I have a 19 Sorento and it calls for SP-IV even at this late stage of the game. Just did it with type 4m at 25k miles and everything is perfect. Kia and Hyundai have the same 6 speed trans, until recently when they went with the iCVT thing. I've seen the spec sheets and Type 4m has 1 ppm more of calcium and 2 ppm more of something else. They "changed" the formula to something that, statistically, is the same. Fun fact. Call the Kia dealership and ask if you can bring empty gallon water/milk jugs and have them fill it from their bulk bin. I get mine for $7 qrt. this way. DO NOT use Maxlife ATF, or any non OEM fluid while the vehicle is still under warranty. Even though it might be chemically ok, if warranty issues arise and they find out something else was used, they might void the warranty for the trans. MMWA is useless and just words on a piece of paper. Remember this: Kia Hyundai just settled a $768 million class action lawsuit. They blamed the fires on the customers for using the aftermarket oil filters.

... I just want to confirm that the KIA Type 4 (m) ATF is exactly the same as the Hyundai SP4 (m) ATF??
Hyundai ATF SP-IV, Kia ATF-SP-IV, and Mitsubishi ATF SP4 are the same.

The Mobius part number is 4500-00115 for both Hyundai and Kia.

The key to knowing which ATF to use with Kia and Hyundai is knowing which transmission is in the vehicle (your manual is primary source).

They use transmissions built with Mitsubishi, Aisin-Warner, and their own units and the requirements are a bit different with each.

You can also check the major oil companies for ATFs that cover multiple applications to see if they have a suitable fluid.

Is there a way to find out who built the 6 speed/sport shift automatic in my 2017 Elantra SE? I looked through the owner’s manual, and also did some searching online, but couldn’t find an answer.

L8R,
Matt

Hyundai makes their own trans and, supposedly, their own fluids specific to their equipment. So be careful and consider if you want to use an aftermarket fluid while the vehicle is still under warranty.

Rob1715,

I was never able to confirm if the Hyundai Oilbank SP4M ATF is/was used in Hyundai transmissions. My owners manual and shop manual mirror what Stevie C posted in the link below that SK, Michang, and Noca were to be used.

SK Zic claims it is the factory fill: http://www.zicph.com/product/data-sheet/21/SK-ZIC_ATF_SP4_datasheet.pdf

Check out ATF after 160K km (100K miles) with no ATF service - in video below from 4:55m
Transmission needed extensive work.

To OP - doing drain and fills at 40K mi intervals is a very good idea, you'll most likely end up doubling transmission life.
MaxLife doesn't list SP-4M compatibility, so I'd not use it in that application.
I do use MaxLife and am very happy with it i my cars but they call for SP-4 which MaxLife is compatible with.

Last edited:
MaxLife doesn't list SP-4M compatibility, so I'd not use it in that application.
I do use MaxLife and am very happy with it i my cars but they call for SP-4 which MaxLife is compatible with.
SP-4M is listed on the Maxlife ATF Product Data Sheet.
Max.JPG

For the OP question though, yes, Hyundai and Kia ATF fluids are identical. They share transmissions between vehicles so fluids are interchangeable.

Bored today, LOL.

I am curious why only in the U.S. did SP4 change to SP4-M?

I.E., the OEM recommended SK Zic I mentioned above and Hyundai's own lubricant mfg. company products are still just SP4. ....Also meets Honda DW-1 and Toyota WS.

Coolios, good to know, didn't pay too much attention to that since all I needed was SP-IV and it was on the ATF jug while SP-IVM wasn't.
Yeah, the bottle has always had less info on it than their website.
Bored today, LOL.

I am curious why only in the U.S. did SP4 change to SP4-M?

I.E., the OEM recommended SK Zic I mentioned above and Hyundai's own lubricant mfg. company products are still just SP4. ....Also meets Honda DW-1 and Toyota WS.
Not even sure exactly when the switch came in. Both my 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe and 2018 Kia Soul say SP-IV in the owners manual. Both are a 6 speed, but no idea if they are the same transmission.

Sante Fe owners manual: MICHANG ATF SP-IV, SK ATF SP-IV, NOCA ATF SP-IV, HYUNDAI genuine ATF SP-IV or other brands meeting the above specification approved by HYUNDAI Motor Company

Soul owners manual: ATF SP-IV (Recommended Kia genuine, Michang, SK, NOCA, S-OIL) or other brands meeting the above specification approved by Kia motors corp

Back