Kia Hybrid Repairs

I make no apologies for it, I like hybrids. A well designed hybrid can in fact, do everything. Be efficient, go fast on long trips, be powerful, heck, some can even plug in, etc. But the idea that they are somehow cheap and easy to build, or save money in the long run, is probably in error. Prius, Camry, Accord would be the best bets, IMHO.

However, from a MPG point of view, there is a point of diminishing returns, maybe somewhere about 35MPG, where the fuel savings may just not be worth it for the average motorist.

A family member replaced her Prius battery a few years ago. I mentioned that $4,500 buys a lot of gas. Fast forward to last month, another $5000 repair. This time, it was the motor/generator. Sure, the car has 200K miles on it, but $10,000 buys a lot of gas...

From the US energy information administration:

View attachment 174146

Like any technically complex or advanced product, there is always the risk of unusually high repair costs.
A few years ago Forbes figured out that with gas at $4/gallon you'd have to own a Prius 8 years or so to break even on the cost difference. Hence why in Europe they are popular as gas is $8-$12/gallon.

He should consider himself lucky that he's not tossing a battery in some of those out of warranty EVs.
27.gif

OK false alarm- although his quote is from the dealer and it is $5k, it is for a set of oem struts and a brake job. He has to cut his planned trip to Cuba in half. Still too rich for me.

Of course he is- but I know his type, retired engineer.....they have an oem thing.
He can find someone to use OEM parts, or supply them and have someone do the work. If not, as the saying goes a fool and his money are soon parted. I typically won't debate that type, especially where there's no upside for me. ;)

I’d be shocked if all cars didn’t have all of that. And then some.

Heck of a plan. Hope for the best… Hoarders don’t like to give up stuff, and are the sort to usually let something rot on the shelf “just in case they might need it”. Cars like to be driven.
Are you taking about new cars? Because I can find an old car with a single wire to make it run and drive

I never saw the reason for a hybrid when you can get similar mpg out of a diesel manual car and have a way simpler drivetrain
The diesel offerings all seem to have overpriced repairs downstream including VW, Chevy and any truck. All “savings” are negated by those repairs….

A few years ago Forbes figured out that with gas at $4/gallon you'd have to own a Prius 8 years or so to break even on the cost difference. Hence why in Europe they are popular as gas is $8-$12/gallon.
Like to see what numbers Forbes used in their assumptions, especially since there is no Prius that isn't a hybrid and the Corolla is really not a comparable car to ride in or to drive.
I calculated when we bought the HAH that it would take around 60K miles, or a little more than three years of use, to amortize the cost premium over an equally well bought 1.5t.
I based this on gas at around $2.50.
Of course, gas got progressively cheaper until reaching its nadir in the spring of 2020 and then rapidly rebounding in the spring of 2022, so it took me more like 70K miles to break even.
Certainly nothing like eight years and there's really no cost advantage in a hybrid unless you're doing a lot of miles each year.

Last edited:
I found the hatchback to be perfectly fine. In fact I'm hard pressed to tell the difference in a hatch or CUV.

Many people, including myself, prefer taller seating position, more ground clearance, taller cargo space, usable back seats, and better looks of an SUV over whatever the Volt is ;) Yes it would get worse MPG and worse EV range but it's all a tradeoff and it's one that Americans seem to be willing to make. The drivetrain in a Volt in a Ford Escape would have been perfect. Oh, wait, that's called a RAV4 Prime, and Toyota can't build them fast enough. Yet GM could have made that 5 years ago and made $$$$$$$$$$$$. Sadly GM did as GM does and screwed up by killing the whole thing.

Are you taking about new cars? Because I can find an old car with a single wire to make it run and drive
And they're likely well over 20 years old too. Although single wire makes it likely an IDI and might push it all the way back into the 80's.

The diesel offerings all seem to have overpriced repairs downstream including VW, Chevy and any truck. All “savings” are negated by those repairs….
I like diesels- but I'll likely never own one, I believe they have a purpose and that is to make you a living as a working vehicle. Too costly out of warranty.

Like to see what numbers Forbes used in their assumptions, especially since there is no Prius that isn't a hybrid and the Corolla is really not a comparable car to ride in or to drive.
I calculated when we bought the HAH that it would take around 60K miles, or a little more than three years of use, to amortize the cost premium over an equally well bought 1.5t.
I based this on gas at around $2.50.
Of course, gas got progressively cheaper until reaching its nadir in the spring of 2020 and then rapidly rebounding in the spring of 2022, so it took me more like 70K miles to break even.
Certainly nothing like eight years and there's really no cost advantage in a hybrid unless you're doing a lot of miles each year.
"So if you buy, say, a plug-in Prius, which gets about 50 miles per gallon and drive it the same distance, you'd be using 36 fewer gallons of gas a year than with your old car. So it would take 9 years before your Prius will have “caught up” with your old car and saved enough fuel to offset the energy needed to make it."

Many people, including myself, prefer taller seating position, more ground clearance, taller cargo space, usable back seats, and better looks of an SUV over whatever the Volt is ;) Yes it would get worse MPG and worse EV range but it's all a tradeoff and it's one that Americans seem to be willing to make. The drivetrain in a Volt in a Ford Escape would have been perfect. Oh, wait, that's called a RAV4 Prime, and Toyota can't build them fast enough. Yet GM could have made that 5 years ago and made $$$$$$$$$$$$. Sadly GM did as GM does and screwed up by killing the whole thing.
Typical marketing mistake. Tying to appeal to the wrong crowd to make more money (looking at you InBev).
In a way, the whole thing isn't really dead, since hybrids might make a comeback, but GM wanted to appeal to both the EV and Cuv people at the same time with the Bolt.
BTW, Volt back seats were perfectly usable, I'd say the entire design was more like today's Toyota Prius Prime, which I don't think Toyota is having difficulty selling either.

Typical marketing mistake. Tying to appeal to the wrong crowd to make more money (looking at you InBev).
In a way, the whole thing isn't really dead, since hybrids might make a comeback, but GM wanted to appeal to both the EV and Cuv people at the same time with the Bolt.
BTW, Volt back seats were perfectly usable, I'd say the entire design was more like today's Toyota Prius Prime, which I don't think Toyota is having difficulty selling either.
I think cost per unit to manufacture and packaging difficulties are the reason PHEVs will never overtake regular hybrids with their small batteries or pure EV. Pure EV has SO many benefits in terms of packaging. You can just make a much more functional, spacious car in the same or smaller footprint with more flexibility. Still think a 3rd gen Volt as a CUV would SELL $$$

Back