Keeping Your Ride Until 2035

I'm starting to develop some new ideas for a site I developed on Facebook called Mileage Impossible.

One of them is a guide for novices when it comes to a specific model tentatively titled, "Keeping Your Ride Until 2035".

Most enthusiast forums have solid bits and pieces when it comes to maintenance. But there really isn't one place that allows an owner, especially a non-enthusiast, to simply pick up and plan for everything they need to make their car last. Owner's manuals usually don't include certain expensive maintenance and repair items that become vital as a car ages.

Planned obsolescence is designed into most maintenance schedules because there is no clear roadmap for replacing specific parts other than 'taking it to the dealer' which can be a financial bloodbath.

I think there is a way of adding back this information with a simple guide that can help folks figure out what to buy, and when to buy it. If followed it can help consumers become more comfortable with keeping their daily driver for the long haul. Especially folks who aren't into cars.

This is the post, and I do mention BITOG an awful lot because I consider our group to be an incredibly valuable and impartial resource. Feel free to let me know what I should add or amend, since this is a work in progress. Thanks!

Your guide already exists here as well as on all of the marque-specific sites.
Repairs, failures and maintenance are very much specific to each vehicle.
Another factor is that by 2035 rust will kill most of the cars now on the road.
Maybe not a factor in Atlanta, but for many of us it is and there is no stopping it.

Your guide already exists here as well as on all of the marque-specific sites.
Repairs, failures and maintenance are very much specific to each vehicle.
Another factor is that by 2035 rust will kill most of the cars now on the road.
Maybe not a factor in Atlanta, but for many of us it is and there is no stopping it.
I spent a lot of time in upstate New York and traveled the country liquidating vehicles at auto auctions where the rustworm was as common as kudzu is here in the South.

What surprised me was the number of survivors. A garage and solid undercoating can minimize the rustworm. Even way up in the Great Lakes.

I don’t think I will be driving my Volt in 2035. I simply doubt the battery will make it that long. Not saying it’s impossible but it’s statistically almost impossible no matter how well I take care of it.

I have a tough time believing I'll have any of my current fleet in 2035. Not for want, just due to needs changing. And rust.

Plus I like to dream about hitting the lottery (that I don't actually play). At some point it'd be nice to just not deal with old car problems. And I gotta admit, it was really nice getting a backup camera, like it more than I thought I would. Yes I retrofitted one once, but sometimes it's nice to not be in the last century.

Maybe once I stop commuting I'd be content again with older cars. We'll see what the next decade brings.

I have every intention of driving my truck until rust makes it a death trap, but like supton I also envision myself winning the lottery I also never play, moving south out of the rust belt, and daily driving a Hellcat.

Realistically, I’m going to buy some rust converter to hit the spots on my truck that are starting to rust (it’s surface rust, but rust nonetheless) then cosmoline everything I can.

I spent a lot of time in upstate New York and traveled the country liquidating vehicles at auto auctions where the rustworm was as common as kudzu is here in the South.

What surprised me was the number of survivors. A garage and solid undercoating can minimize the rustworm. Even way up in the Great Lakes.
But not a heated garage. Rust is a chemical reaction. The warmer the vehicle is over the winter the more rust. Now if the car is not driven in the winter that's another story.

Last edited:
Very possible to keep my 2012 F150 till 2035….but there are two trucks Id love to have and will eventually get both. An F100 or F150 with the 300 straight 6 and an F150 Raptor. Funny how I used to not like Ford vehicles just for the sake of not liking Fords and growing up hearing others say theyre junk but after owning an F150 the past four years its Ford or Toyota from here on out!

7 years ago I bought a 10 yo Lexus flagship, and innocently took it to the dealer because they wanted only $79 for a brake flush and $119 for a coolant drain/fill. And it worked out $59 and $109, totally reasonable.

But they also did a free multipoint and said I need $6,700 of work.

It's September 2023, I didn't do any of that $6,700 they said I needed

I'll have this car 12 years from now if that's possible, nothing seems to be wrong with it, and only 137k miles now. I put 57k on myself.
:ROFLMAO:

maybe 8 cyl cars will be banned, who knows

With these new cars, many may not make it until 2035 unless the parts suppliers can keep the expensive modules and electrical stuff available. Some modules are on national backorder now and for some older vehicles, not even available anymore. If the aftermarket comes out with them they probably won't be very reliable like many aftermarket electrical parts.

I'm sure I will still have a few of my vehicles in 2035 since they don't really have that high of mileage as long as I can get parts for them.

The trucks I have can last that long. Parts support and even aftermarket accessories will be around that long.

I have a limited window on the Fiat. Maybe another 5 years or so before it becomes too difficult to find parts.

With these new cars, many may not make it until 2035 unless the parts suppliers can keep the expensive modules and electrical stuff available. Some modules are on national backorder now and for some older vehicles, not even available anymore. If the aftermarket comes out with them they probably won't be very reliable like many aftermarket electrical parts.

I'm sure I will still have a few of my vehicles in 2035 since they don't really have that high of mileage as long as I can get parts for them.
On the other hand, I can't buy a decent set of points any more, either. They're all imported junk.

@macarose, I really enjoyed seeing so many posts on your page, showing high mileage cars. These owners have obviously put some effort, some more than others, into keeping their cars on the road. But I'm a little confused.

The way I read your original post, the purpose of your Facebook page is to assist those that need help in understanding how to keep their car on the road for a long time. Instead, the page looks more like somewhere for those who already know how to keep a car running, to share their successes. Where is the how-to? Where is the advice about what maintenance items are important for long term reliability, and links for resources on how-to info to do the maintenace?

Admittedly, I'm not very Facebook savvy. Perhaps you have that kind of info there, and I just missed it.

@macarose, I really enjoyed seeing so many posts on your page, showing high mileage cars. These owners have obviously put some effort, some more than others, into keeping their cars on the road. But I'm a little confused.

The way I read your original post, the purpose of your Facebook page is to assist those that need help in understanding how to keep their car on the road for a long time. Instead, the page looks more like somewhere for those who already know how to keep a car running, to share their successes. Where is the how-to? Where is the advice about what maintenance items are important for long term reliability, and links for resources on how-to info to do the maintenace?

Admittedly, I'm not very Facebook savvy. Perhaps you have that kind of info there, and I just missed it.
It was a lonely little site for the first couple of years and then pretty much exploded in early-2022.

It is supposed to tali into some of the data we developed at the Long-Term Quality Index. But apparently Google and Facebook don't play nice with each other so I had to pivot a bit.

Back