Keeping native bees happy

Well the bees have been busy filling the tubes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_084540.jpg
    IMG_20230620_084540.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 9
About 25 years ago, when we lived in Western Washington, I was discussing blueberry polination with a county commissioner who was very big blueberry farmer. Honeybees are not the best for blueberry pollination because of the flower shape and depth. He suggested mason bees. I told him I could not use those because I am Catholic. The commissioner next to him suggested Knights of Columbus bees. The first commissioner, who is a Mason, just looked confused.

We have planted a few things with the intent of attracting bees. The only problem now is I am battling carpenter bees drilling into my railing on my rear deck.

I like mason bees, we have plenty around here. I set out houses made of hollow straws for them and they find and use them. They also find and use socket wrenches and bolt holes on projects I’m working on. I try not to disturb them but sometimes it just isn’t practical.

About 25 years ago, when we lived in Western Washington, I was discussing blueberry polination with a county commissioner who was very big blueberry farmer. Honeybees are not the best for blueberry pollination because of the flower shape and depth. He suggested mason bees. I told him I could not use those because I am Catholic. The commissioner next to him suggested Knights of Columbus bees. The first commissioner, who is a Mason, just looked confused.
Lol

Yeah, sorry I changed my post. I have lots of mud daubers around my house and I was confusing them with what you have here. I like that house and I'm going to get one.
Is there anyway to encourage where mud daubers... daub?

They're not aggressive and I don't mind having them around, I just hate breaking a nest on the front porch (kids are scared) or one of the cars.

Is there anyway to encourage where mud daubers... daub?

They're not aggressive and I don't mind having them around, I just hate breaking a nest on the front porch (kids are scared) or one of the cars.
I don't know, we just seem to have them around. The insects themselves are a bit intimidating with the shiny blue color but you're right they aren't aggressive.

Kind of like how cicada killers aren't aggressive either (the males can't even sting) but wow wee, I give them a wide berth. We don't have them here but in DC they are everywhere. The males will sit on a high perch and will fly out at you as you walk by. They are just investigating you for romance, and when they see you are inappropriate they fly back to their perch. But still it's alarming.

Back