Kawasaki/Scagg Oil/Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got a water cooled Kawasaki 2X HP engine on a Scagg mower. We are currently using an AC Delco filter that matches and Valvoline Racing 30W oil. Should we pay $9 and stick with the Kawasaki filter or is it OK to use any other good filter that matches? Would a synthetic multi-grade oil be better? The manual only calls for a straight 30W.

You can probably cross reference the filter to a Purolator or something and get it for 1/3 the price. I would stick with the 30wt...it has worked fine for mowers for many years.

If it is like my Kawaski motor any 3/4" x 16 thread pitch filter will work. Ford and Chrysler are the two.

I have a Kawi 23 HP (FH680V) on my Exmark Lazer Z. I called up a dealer who gave me the part number for a filter sold at an auto parts store instead of the $10 Kawi one.

He gave me a Fram number which I cross referenced to Super-tech (Wal-mart, $1.97) #ST4967 they look identical (even same color) both having the "AA" stamped on the threaded plate at the base of the filter.

-John
cool.gif

" ... they look identical (even same color) both having the "AA" stamped on the threaded plate at the base of the filter."

Yes, you KNOW that the small engine manufacturers would have to be certifiable to be trying to make their own filters. They source them from another builder on a contract. As long as the threads and gasket match up ... and the pressure of the bypass valve is the same, you'll be fine.

The first thing I do with a piece of equipment (maintenance-wise) is to try and come up with alternative spin-on filters from Wix, NAPA, SuperTech, etc ...

No sense paying $10-12 for a tiny re-painted filter which is nothing special.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back