Kaspersky has new online scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaspersky, the Russian antivirus company, had a online scanner for a long time. Then for a long time they did not. But they have a new online scanner now which you can download to your computer and use with another antivirus. It really works well.

I suppose a person could use something like Microsoft Security Essentials and maybe something like Malwarebyte's Antimalware (free version) and use the Kaspersky scanner as a backup and to check that your computer is truly clean. All of these programs would be free and in effect a person would have two antivirus scanners (except the Kaspersky does not run in real time).

It might provide plenty of protection for the average person at no cost. And Kaspersky has a very good reputation. I believe that Kaspersky is better than Norton and far superior to Mccaffee.

IMHO, Norton is the superior product, however, as good as they are, their program is heavily bloated. Even the volume edition is bloated.
MS Security Essentials IMHO is as good as Norton, FREE, and doesn't suck down RAM or hard drive space.
Kaspersky has come a long way in the past years, I wouldn't hesitate using them, however, it boils down to 1 thing.. who do you trust?
I don't trust online scanners. For a true scan, you run the scanner in safe mode or from a WinPE disc.
use Malwarebytes is a huge major plus. Although Security Essentials claims to scan for malware, Malwarebytes is a superior product and will find malware you never knew existed.
Windows Defender is actually a decent program in its own right. It was designed so out of the box, windows would have some sort of protection.
McAfee was great, when it was made for DOS. Scan.exe and Vcopy.exe and Clean.exe were unstoppable.. then again.. virus's weren't as complicated as they are today.
mcafee is a decent program, however it is very heavily bloated, and does NOT uninstall cleanly. It seems to me to be very intrusive and where you don't want it to be.

My new all in one scan tool is MS Security Essentials, followed by Malwarebyte Pro.

I've tested them all. MSE has gotten a whole lot better. Especially recent version 4.0. Made by Microsoft to protect a Microsoft product. Makes sense. Firewall on. FF w/ABP. malwarebytes as backup. Really all you need.

You don't want multiple tools scanning your every move in realtime, your performance will be horrible. Especially the internet. Block popups, ads, don't fall for clicks. All will be fine.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Made by Microsoft to protect a Microsoft product. Makes sense.

I guess that all depends on how one defines "sense". (I'd look at anyone who makes an OS so gaping in its security holes that it has to then offer a suite of security software to run alongside the OS as the complete opposite of "sense".)

This is great news. I've been wondering if they were actually going to bring it back because it's been down for a long time.

I use AVG, Spybot, Microsoft's MRT and MSE regularly. They will all catch stuff the other's don't. And I run them in that order. Nothing is scanned in real-time because I hate the performance hit, and we're all internet savvy enough (for now).

I will start adding this in to my schedule every so often..

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Made by Microsoft to protect a Microsoft product. Makes sense.

I guess that all depends on how one defines "sense". (I'd look at anyone who makes an OS so gaping in its security holes that it has to then offer a suite of security software to run alongside the OS as the complete opposite of "sense".)

Ubuntu-agreed. But if Linux were to become the primary platform theyd be after that too.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Kaspersky, the Russian antivirus company, had a online scanner for a long time. Then for a long time they did not. But they have a new online scanner now which you can download to your computer and use with another antivirus. It really works well.

I suppose a person could use something like Microsoft Security Essentials and maybe something like Malwarebyte's Antimalware (free version) and use the Kaspersky scanner as a backup and to check that your computer is truly clean. All of these programs would be free and in effect a person would have two antivirus scanners (except the Kaspersky does not run in real time).

It might provide plenty of protection for the average person at no cost. And Kaspersky has a very good reputation. I believe that Kaspersky is better than Norton and far superior to Mccaffee.

Be more specific please. At their website, do I download.....
(A) Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
(or)
(B) Kaspersky Security Scan

.... or do you suggest I download both (A and B)?
Both are free -- as is Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

Last edited:
At the Kasperksy website you download the free online scanner to your computer. I think it was near the top of the website. You can then run a quick scan or a full scan. The scanner does not interfere with the antivirus program you already have on your computer because it does not run in real time-it does not run all the time. Just like you can download an online scanner from Microsoft to your computer and it will not interfere with whatever antivirus you are using.

This Kaspersky online scanner is effective. At least, it appears to be. It found two Trojan Horse programs in a zipped (compressed) backup folder on my second hard drive where I store backup files.

I personally rate Kaspersky one of the best antivirus programs that there is. And testing by various reputable organizations usually place Kaspersky in first place or at least somewhere among the top few programs. In the most recent testing by AV-Comparatives I think they had Kaspersky second behind Bitdefender. I would have to check again to be sure, but it definitely was near the top. AV-Test also rated Kaspersky high. And NSS Labs in some early testing of antivirus programs tested 13 programs and only four (including Kaspersky) were sucessful in all of the tests (testing to defend against two exploits). The other sucessful programs were Avast, Trend Micro, and believe it or not Mcaffee. All of the other programs, including Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton, failed in some of the testing at least to some extent.

Kaspersky has some interesting technology also like a virtual keyboard and you can sandbox the web browser (if you have a 32 bit operating system and a supported web browser).

Sure, I wish I could say that an American antivirus program was tops. But in all honesty I don't think I can say that. Probably some of the very best antivirus programs are Kaspersky (Russian), Bitdefender (Romanian but I feel it is buggy software), GData (German) and maybe Eset (Czech). A Chinese antivirus program tested highly also but to be honest I don't trust the Chinese programs because of all the alleged cyper spying from mainland China. F-Secure (Finnish) and Avira (German) also often rate highly and Bullguard (what country?) seems to rate highly also sometimes. After these top programs there seems to be a considerable drop. Trend Micro (Japanese) has tested highly in NSS Lab testing.

The American antivirus programs just do not seem to be in the competition. At least Microsoft Security Essentials is free but I think if you use it it needs help. You can use Malwarebyte's Antimalware as a backup program and the Kaspersky online scanner is free also. You can also do scans with the Eset online scanner. So you can probably have decent protection for your computer with free software. Otherwise, if you buy a program, I think Kasperksy is probably hard to beat. I also like Eset but I am not entirely certain of its effectiveness. In some testing it looks great and in other testing it does not look so good. Bitdefender looks great on paper (and in testing). But personally I feel it is very buggy.

I downloaded the Security Scan. It requires every-other-day scans with no manual scan scheduling available as an option.

Just for that reason alone, I may uninstall this product after the first scan ... whenever that is????
I have no idea what time of day this first (and possibly last) scan will occur. I preferred to disable my McAfee AntiVirus Plus first - then do a manual Kaspersky Scan.

Now I'm not sure a conflict will occur when the Kaspersky runs side-by-side with my McAfee Real Time Scan activated 24/7.

Also, Kaspersky added a startup item to my System Configuration Utility. I'm not happy about that either - since I hadn't planned on having this Scan Service on -- other than doing manual scans.

Perhaps this application I just downloaded is a bad idea..... I dunno. I suppose I'll know more after seeing the results of the first scan.

Last edited:
Mystic, thanks for posting. Running an online scan now.

Kaspersky's free TDSSkiller saved my mom's PC when it was infected by a nasty rootkit (backdoor.0access), which McAfee didn't even detect and Malwarebytes couldn't permanently remove (it kept coming back).

Mystic....
Where is this free TDSSkiller at their main website page? (kasperskydotcom)
I don't see it anywhere.

OilNerd
You found this Killer at kasperskydotcom page? Didn't poster/thread-starter Mystic say to go to their website? That's where I went and I don't see it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
...OilNerd
You found this Killer at kasperskydotcom page? Didn't poster/thread-starter Mystic say to go to their website? That's where I went and I don't see it.

To find the scanner Mystic was posting about, to the Kaspersky website, and click on "Free Antivirus Scan", near the top right.

Gotta go to bed now. Long drive tomorrow.

I just ran the Security Scan. It took almost 2-1/2 hours and found 19 problems.... none-of-which were made public or resolved, because clicking on the problems brings up a Kaspersky page where I must buy their products to fix my 19 problems.

This whole thread has been a waste of my time. There is nothing on the Kaspersky homepage that leads to this Killer download provided by another member here. But the Killer-fix does sound like something that won't require a purchase of Kaspersky products to fix existing problems on my Windows computers.

I personally do not trust any software from that country without the top end located in the USA or the first world.

Software development can be outsourced abroad but I stick to domestic on my machines.

But it DID find 19 problems, right? I don't know what antivirus you are using but how come it did not find these 19 problems? Yes, it will not remove stuff, but you WILL find out about malware on your computer.

Now that you know about this possible malware, maybe see if your antivirus or another program can detect the stuff and remove it now that you know where it is. You don't have to buy the Kaspersky product. If you do buy the Kaspersky product it should be able to remove the malware. After all, the online scanner was able to find it.

Go to AV-Comparatives and see which programs are able to detect 99+% of threats. You will not find McAfee there. Symantec and Microsoft did not even allow their products to be tested in the real world test according to what I have heard. The products at the top tend to be Bitdefender, Kaspersky, GData, Avira, sometimes F-Secure, and occasionally other products. In the most recent testing I saw Eset was very close to 99% and I think there was another product very close to 99%. McAfee was somewhere near the bottom and I did not even see Symantec (Norton) or Microsoft on the list. The new American antivirus Vipre was higher than McAfee.

When I buy a antivirus program I expect it to be effective, not buggy, not crash the computer, be reasonably fast and not slow the computer down. If I can't find an American antivirus that will do that I will buy whatever product will get the job done.

For a while I thought Norton was making a comeback. McAfee is a mystery to me. Sometimes they have high detection rates but there are usually other issues. Americans can write good software so it it a total mystery to me that there does not seem to be a good American antivirus program. Personally I would rather use Kaspersky or Eset.

Triple_Se7en if you go online and type in TDSKiller several websites will come up. One of them is a Kaspersky website. Go to that website. You will find the Kaspersky anti-rootkit program there, and also GMER, another anti-rootkit program.

Even better than these anti-rootkit programs may be the Kaspersky rescue program, that you can download for free. You put it on a CD and it will run in a Linux operating system from the CD. It will remove whatever threats it finds on your computer. The Kaspersky program is considered one of the best. If you don't like Kaspersky you can download Windows Defender Offline from Microsoft, and load it on a CD. It runs in a compact Windows operating system. It too can remove malware from a computer.

The real professionals probably run Sysinternals from Microsoft. They use Process Explorer and Autoruns to remove malware. Don't use that software unless you really know what you are doing.

Some people who work on computers use ComboFix. I have mixed feelings about ComboFix. Don't use that software except under the direction of somebody at Beeping Computer who knows what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back