Just walked out when buying a truck, because of $995 for 'ceramic paint coating'.

Was finally told by the salesman that there was an additional $995 dealer charge for a "ceramic paint coating". This is on a less than 2 year old pickup truck with 19,000 miles.

All of my vehicles are kept inside, and are inside 99% of the time... as I work from home now. Maybe if the vehicle sat outside 99% of the time, I'd feel differently. But I wasn't given any choice on this.

I walked away from the deal. I'll keep looking elsewhere. I have zero tolerance for dealership rubbish like this.

On the one hand, a pro-quality paint correction and ceramic coating at a high-end shop costs a lot more than that. But on the other hand, the dealer probably didn't do any paint correction and probably just used the same spray-on coating you can get at the parts store for about $12. And never offered you the choice.

Was finally told by the salesman that there was an additional $995 dealer charge for a "ceramic paint coating". This is on a less than 2 year old pickup truck with 19,000 miles.

All of my vehicles are kept inside, and are inside 99% of the time... as I work from home now. Maybe if the vehicle sat outside 99% of the time, I'd feel differently. But I wasn't given any choice on this.

I walked away from the deal. I'll keep looking elsewhere. I have zero tolerance for dealership rubbish like this.
Even if sitting outside, it's ridiculous. No one asked me if i wanted something so miscellaneous as a ceramic coating on the vehicle I'm interested in purchasing. If it's a deal breaker for them, well... it is for me as well. I'd walk out just as you did.

Good for you OP!

I had a similar thing happen recently when I bought my Lexus, in KY. (I live in Indiana).

They wanted $699 for "document fees". I said, emphatically, no freakin' way!
Then I resolutely walked out.

Ended up being back there a few days later; they had called and agreed to a $150 doc fee. Then, because they realized they couldn't easily do the paperwork in Indiana, they agreed to mail me all the documents, PLUS a $100 refund for me filing the papers myself at the BMV. (net document cost of $50).

Stand your ground and get the deal you want, or walk away. If more folks did this, fewer of these shenanigans would happen at a dealer.

In 5-6 minutes time, I can use Griot's Garage Ceramic spray, a single microfiber towel, and "True-Coat" (yes, I loved that scene) my entire 2009, 200K mile, well used and abused F150. Works wonderfully. About $2 worth of product.

The Griot's Garage 3 in 1 Ceramic works as well as, and lasts as long as, all of the major ceramic coatings.

sWSSB2j.jpg

This sounds like the crap that Napleton Group's network of dealership got fined by the FTC for, you show up and they tell you there's already a bunch of add-ons "already on the car," they tried to do that to my dad but he ended up paying the advertised price which was fair market price for a 2015 2.5 Escape in early 2021.

Last edited:
Very well done for sticking up for what is right. I had a similar experience.

A nearby dealership added LoJack to all of their vehicles which was an $800 add-on. Looked at the vehicle and told them I'll take it for the listed price but I'm not paying for any additional features. Back and forth with sales, "well at least cover our costs at $400." "We've already installed it and can't take it off", etc. Nope.

They eventually folded and removed the fee but it was a hassle to say the least.

A nearby dealership added LoJack to all of their vehicles which was an $800 add-on.
It's 2023 🤔
Who's still buying LoJack 😲
Kia Boyz notwithstanding 😏

LoJack is down there with SiriusXM, ScotchGuard, and dealer installed headrest monitors when I ask

What year is this 😱

Good on you OP, I'm gonna have to do battle soon with a purchase of a lease, I'm gonna keep a close eye on the paperwork

There is no way to even know if the paint coating was performed, and if so to what standard.
Kudos for walking way. Many of your neighbors won't.
My wife sold Oldsmobiles in the 1980s with “polyglycoat”. Why would folks buy something the couldn’t even See?
She said they rarely even applied any of it to the cars.

It's 2023 🤔
Who's still buying LoJack 😲
Kia Boyz notwithstanding 😏

LoJack is down there with SiriusXM, ScotchGuard, and dealer installed headrest monitors when I ask

What year is this 😱

Good on you OP, I'm gonna have to do battle soon with a purchase of a lease, I'm gonna keep a close eye on the paperwork

Apparently lots of folks, whether they want it or not. This experience was in 2021 at a major VW dealership.

Very well done for sticking up for what is right. I had a similar experience.

A nearby dealership added LoJack to all of their vehicles which was an $800 add-on. Looked at the vehicle and told them I'll take it for the listed price but I'm not paying for any additional features. Back and forth with sales, "well at least cover our costs at $400." "We've already installed it and can't take it off", etc. Nope.

They eventually folded and removed the fee but it was a hassle to say the least.
But the equipment is still in the car. It’s usually under the dash. I would rip it out.

To the OP, good for you. It seems every dealer near me adds the BS items to the car, sealant, alarm, “protection package”. Some minimum wage kid using $10 spray wax after washing the car with a brush. $3000 worth of add-ons.
IMG_4926.jpg

Last edited:
Back