Just picked up a high mileage 2002 Mustang. Going to Walmart

Overall in very good shape with the 3.8l V6/Automatic. 235k mi. on the clock. Bought it really cheap, considering condition, new brakes, and 2 sets of wheels/tires. Great grad gift for my son to drive around locally. I’m about to go to Walmart to pick up some SuperTech HM FS 5W-30 to do an oil change. Figure I might as well change the other fluids :)
-What coolant is everyone running in these Ford V6’s?
-What synthetic ATF and capacity is recommended?
-Same ATF I’m assuming for the power steering?

Last edited:
Castrol Transmax Mercon V is pretty cheap at Walmart and is a licensed Mercon V product. That's probably what I'd use for ATF and power steering, if they spec ATF for power steering fluid.

Overall in very good shape with the 3.8l V6/Automatic. 235k mi. on the clock. Bought it really cheap, considering condition, new brakes, and 2 sets of wheels/tires. Great grad gift for my son to drive around locally. I’m about to go to Walmart to pick up some SuperTech HM FS 5W-30 to do an oil change. Figure I might as well change the other fluids :)
-What coolant is everyone running in these Ford V6’s?
-What synthetic ATF and capacity is recommended?
-Same ATF I’m assuming for the power steering?
What coolant specification or chemistry is stated in the owner's manual?

What ATF specification or license is stated in the owner's manual?

What power steering type is stated in the owner's manual?

I run Prestone Universal for coolant and Supertech Mercon V in the transmission and Power Steering for my 99 v6 and 03 GT.

2002 was a split year for coolant colors; early production received green, later production units (July 15th, 2002 and onward) received motorcraft gold/yellow.

Capacity for the transmission is about 4 quarts for just a pan drop, about 12.7 quarts if you can also drain the torque converter. Some 4r70w torque converters have drain bolts, some do not.

Here's the cheat sheet for fluid capacity that I use from LMR: Link

Castrol Transmax Mercon V is pretty cheap at Walmart and is a licensed Mercon V product. That's probably what I'd use for ATF and power steering, if they spec ATF for power steering fluid.
Yeah but if he's at Walmart, mind as well grab the Supertech Mercon V, it's slightly cheaper than the Castrol stuff and is also a Ford licensed Mercon V product, only $4.88 vs $6.63.

IIRC, Ford made a change from using 5w30 to 5w20. I’m pretty sure it’s most likely to boost up the gas mileage ratings, right? I’m sticking to 5w30.

Yeah but if he's at Walmart, mind as well grab the Supertech Mercon V, it's slightly cheaper than the Castrol stuff and is also a Ford licensed Mercon V product, only $4.88 vs $6.63.
Supertech states "Ford approved", doesn't state that it is "licensed" or meets any Ford specification.

I couldn't find a license number anywhere on the bottle.

Back