Just passed smog test. Hydrocarbons a bit high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since your NOx is low, I think your catcon is good;
therefore something isn't 100 percent with the way the motor is running; could be ignition related.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
+1

Coils don't fade away. They either work, or are shorted internally and don't. They can be intermittent with heat. But they do not slowly die.
I used to think that too. Until I had one that would run poorly and raw gas collected in the exhaust and touched off. One of my BMW buddies reported a similar situation. These were the typical can type coils. On the whole reliable. easy to replace.
Coils are nothing but transformers, and they can short a few turns at a time, thus lowering the turns ratio and output voltage.

Its not a car, it's a full size van and nobody cares to see pics.

The cat is a magnaflow, installed in 2004 iirc.

Throwing a 25$ coil at this is not going to break me financially, Better than it failing when I do not have a good product choice.

Wires are known to get baked into submission under the reflective parabolic mirror of a tight fitting engine cover. So would the coil, I Imagine.

I've bumped ignition timing back upto 16BTDC, it was @ ~10degrees btdc for the test as that is what the label under the hood states it is to be.

Elevated hydrocarbons might mean I am not getting the MPGS I otherwise could. Hard to say with around town driving sitting at lights so often.

My noisy Airpump has become noisier in the last year. Perhaps it is not injecting as much air as it once did.

Disconnecting airpump means a seized airpump in short order, and new check valves as well. They've gotten pricey, I just leave it connected now.

How old is the O2 sensor? When they get lazy your HC go up.

My D150 with its junky Holley TBI system was always borderline passing when I had to smog it. Cap,rotor,plugs,and O2 was what it took to get it past every 2 years. Last test I was allowed 200ppm and got it 200 on the nose
cool.gif

Last edited:
+1 on the o2.

I'd pick a different plug than the +2. In my experience, they don't always agree with pushrod engines due to the head design. Secondary ground strap can shroud the spark.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
+1 on the o2.

I'd pick a different plug than the +2. In my experience, they don't always agree with pushrod engines due to the head design. Secondary ground strap can shroud the spark.

Another great reason to index them!

How do you test the air pump? I was being contrary when I suggested the weak coil. In 50+ yrs, I know only 2 instances of it. The usual failure is a total. O2 sensors can be tested with a DVOM. A good one will be constantly dithering between .2V and .9V. If it doesn't move rapidly or stays at one value it is bad. Worn out plugs could do it. You haven't failed, yet. If you let the symptoms worsen, it might be easier to diagnose. Please report your progress TIA

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
How old is the O2 sensor? When they get lazy your HC go up.

My D150 with its junky Holley TBI system was always borderline passing when I had to smog it. Cap,rotor,plugs,and O2 was what it took to get it past every 2 years. Last test I was allowed 200ppm and got it 200 on the nose
cool.gif

Last inspection my 01 Tacoma had before moving from Cali just barely passed. The tech did tell me that it was probably an O2 sensor (front) and that I should replace it before the next inspection. He was surprised when I told him that it was the original sensor. About a year later that O2 sensor started throwing a code so I replaced it and it's been good ever since.

The single NTK O2 sensor on drivers side exhaust manifold, is from 2011.

The sparkplugs currently in motor are NGK Gpower, not Bosch +2, those were the previous plugs.

Since the Macro +2 spark plug pics in a previous link are dead due to photobucket's contemptible move affecting all users of the internet everywhere, I have reloaded them onto picload dot org for your viewing pleasure

img_6529copy.jpg

img_6529.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back