Just did an oil change with HPL Engine Cleaner 30......now what to test/analyze?

So I just got my '13 TL SH-AWD from the shop where all of the fluids were changed and any sort of preventative maintenance (timing belt, tensioner, water pump, t-stat, belts, etc) performed. The oil change was with an OEM Acura filter and 3.5qts of M1 5W30 with 1qt of HPL Engine Cleaner 30. I plan to run this for around 2k miles and then switch to HPL PPCO 5W30. So being a newb here, what analysis or what testing should I do have I run this 2k oil change with the above fill? So will that be the time to send off a sample to Blackstone? I should cut open the used filter once another OCI is done?

Additives and cleaners will have a confounding effect on the oil analysis. I would suggest waiting until two changes from now. The next change (with just oil) will remove the majority of residual cleaner - not to mention any contaminants, sealants, etc. from the maintenance just performed - when it is drained. The interval after that (with just oil again) will be the one to test.

That's not to say tests during the current interval would be of absolutely no value. If you have high fuel contamination or out of this world metals that can't be attributed to the oil or cleaner, that could conceivably tell you something. This begs the question - what do you want the oil analysis to tell you?

Run the EC30 for a full OCI; not just 2k miles. You're just throwing away good cleaner with such a short interval.

When you're done with the EC30 run, cut the filter open and see what kind of debris in inside; that will give some manner of indication as to what's in the engine.

Then you can switch to the HPL lube.

Oil analysis may not have any real value to you. It will give you information on metallic additive content, wear metals and possibly some minor residual metallics. However, routine analysis won't really give you information on sludge or varnish removal which is often the point of using the cleaner.

I just ran the cleaner for 2500 miles and found nothing unusual. My car has the cartridge filter with the wavy pleats so it was easy to check for crud. Found nothing. Guess my 73k engine is clean. It's had 229.5 oil it's whole life. I would leave that cleaner in for the full oci.

Run the EC30 for a full OCI; not just 2k miles. You're just throwing away good cleaner with such a short interval.

When you're done with the EC30 run, cut the filter open and see what kind of debris in inside; that will give some manner of indication as to what's in the engine.

Then you can switch to the HPL lube.
absolutely! run it for 5k minimum so ec30 can really have time to work.

Reactions: wlk
I reached out to David a few weeks ago via PM and this is what he told me about the interval to run HPL EC 30.....

I would run the engine cleaner with your current oil for about 3000 miles.

I'm about 200 miles into this OCI with HPL EC 30 and M1 5W30. Running it for about another 2600 miles will put me right at 34k on the odometer where I'll drain and switch to HPL PPCO 5W30 with an Amsoil Signature filter for 5k intervals. My understanding is that the HPL PCMO will continue a cleaning effect that is actually stronger than the EC product itself.

Looking forward to cutting open the Acura filter when it's time to do this in about 3 months.

Back