Joint Injuries and Pending Weather Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
You bet they hurt when the weather changes. I am 64 and things I didn't know i had hurt.Some days it is brutal.

That concerns me too... Swelling still and warm to the touch makes me wonder a bit. A decent bit actually.

Yep, I think the metal enhances it? I've got about an 8 inch stainless steel plate with eight screws along the ankle lower tibia, then two screws going from bottom end of ankle fibula upward, then a titanium rod inside my right arm between shoulder and elbow secured at each end with a bolt. Been told can never get an accurate MRI now with the metal inside, not completely sure if true but expect it might toss my foot around due to the steel plate? No idea if the magnetism of MRI is that strong.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
I've been loading up on Chondroitin, Glucosamine , MSM, Tumeric, Fish Oil and whatever joint-improving supplement I can find lol

Trying to enlist in the Air Force with a history of knee irritation and a minor surgery to fix a meniscus has been fun... First recruiter said no, been working on improving leg strength and hoping I can pass MEPS down the road.

Thought it was funny to read this, as I haven't noticed if any of my joints hurt when the weather changes. Perhaps living in the "sunshine" state of FL where the weather changes every 5 minutes has helped. lol

Did you go enlist yet or just talking to a recruiter?

Just answer No to all the questions at MEPS.

MRI magnetism is very strong. Only reason I can have one is that the screws are in the bone in my jaw and are covered by them. In some areas of the body an MRI is not allowed to be performed. We had a very long questionnaire about patients past surgical history.

As to the swelling and warm to the touch aspects I would figure that should have gone down by now. That just seems a bit strange to me. Now, I could well be wrong. But that just doesn't strike me as being an expected outcome. I will say we had two orthopedic surgeons who had a strong tendency to have post operative infections. It happens a bit more than people would like to think.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That concerns me too... Swelling still and warm to the touch makes me wonder a bit. A decent bit actually.

I was told complete healing from a total knee replacement is one year. Of course, the 3 month and 6 month milestones are much better than when you're right out of surgery. When I last saw the surgeon a couple months ago, he said the warmth is just a sign that healing is still taking place and is typical for me at this stage. The swelling is nowhere near what it was but it's noticable by me as compared to my other knee. I'm not concerned by any of that though, it's been steadily progressing very well since the surgery. It's this talk about cold weather making the joint painful; I'm assuming due to expansion and contraction due to heat and cold? I'm not talking about joints being a barometer or weather forecaster either, just pain caused by cold weather. Ice packs or the ice machine don't bring on any pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back