John Deere Plus 50 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say first off that I have enjoyed this site and have been a regular visitor here for over the last year or so and have found it to contain some very interesting and informative subjects. Also the plain truth is that before I found this site I always thought oil was just that, plain old oil it's all the same, right? Wrong.
I have a couple of questions maybe some of you more informed oil guru's could answer for me. I have considered running John Deere+50 0W40 synthetic oil in my 2001 Duramax diesel engine for cold weather protection and easier start-ups. It is a CH4 rated oil (this is what is required for this engine) and has what looks like good lubricating properties, ie moly,zinc, etc... I had been using Rotella T 15W40 all year round but always wondered if this was the best thing for my engine especially in cold weather. By cold I mean winter temps could be as low as -25*F over night as well as highs in the daytime of maybe -5*F for stretches of maybe a week or so at a time. Has anyone ever used the John Deere+50 oil and what are your thoughts about this product?
Secondly, I have noticed in various charts and graphs that most 0W40 oils have the largest temperature variation range compared to a 5W40 or 15W40. My question is,will I harm my engine by running a 0W40 in the summer (Max ambient temps are usually no more than 95*F)By the looks of some of the charts I am covered temp. wise from about -40*F to 100*F) I don't tow anything and usually run empty. Why couldn't I run a OW40 if it incorperates a temperature range of say a 15W40 but on a broader basis? I know these may be basic questions to some, I'm still learning.

Thanks

It is pricey and runs about $27.00/4L jug at the JD dealer in town. It is also available in 1L bottles, not sure of the price though. I guess the cost $$$ all depends on how you look at it. For my situation I'm currently running an oil bypass filtration setup and with the use of regular oil analysis and scheduled OEM filter changes(every 5K miles) I'll probably save a few oil changes per year,and break even. However I gain a broader ambient temperature range using one oil and best of all it is a full synthetic oil.I'm not sure who makes this oil for JD, I asked the fellow at the parts counter and he didn't know (or say). He was however very knowledgeable about the oil products he sells and did mention to do an oil analysis after the first 3K miles seeing as I would be changing brands. (Rotella dino to JD Syn)
I did manage to get a sample of this oil and have sent it off to have it analized, just to see what's in it and what the actual TBN of their stock of oil they have on hand.
I have also been following the threads on ESSO's XD-3 0W40 and that also appears to be a very fine oil, as with many others. It is more reasonably priced.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger3116:
This looks like great oil. How much is it? Any chance this is really ESSO XD-3 0W-40? Roger

The US oil supplier for Deere is Chevron International. Check out the MSDS, its a Chevron MSDS. That may or may not mean anything for Canadian
canada.gif
Deere oil.

In Canada, John Deere 15-40 dino is XD3dino oil , most ranchers/farmers here in Sask buy either J.D. oil or XD3, which ever is same price, same oil.

I am 98% sure John Deere Canada has XD3 bottle their syn oil too. XD3 has -48C pour point, 12.2 TBN, Visc 100C at 15.7, sounds pretty close to what I see in Canadian J.D. syn oil. XD3 at Esso bulk is $4.20 litre bulk price in flats of 12 litre, or 4 pack cases of 4 litre jugs or 20 liutre jugs. Probably the price is only dif between J.D. syn and XD3 syn as in dino. Also, UFA, United Farmers Assosiations sells XD3 syn 0-40 under their logal of UFA. Esso bottles this oil for lots of companies including SuperStore or Loblaws only in 15-40 dino unfortunately under P.C. logal thanks to Yuk's ground work.

I mentioned to my Esso Bulk Agent that XD3 syn and dino oils were John Deere, he did not disagree. Farmers and Ranchers who run John Deeres in this area know this, their Deeres are dear to them, (sorry).

I was in an American discussion on this Plus 50 earlier, sounds like John Deere America does use Chevron, XD3 not available in States yet.

I use this XD3 0-30 in Altima for 3.71 litre, 0-40 in Cummins diesel, cold starts no longer a worry, like water in winter, the specs are too good to be true for price, gotta pinch myself to see if I am dreaming every time I walk out of Esso Bulk STation with flat of XD3, 100% POA syn oil Group 1V for half price of Mobil and I am told XD3 syn is made by Mobil for Esso.

Cyprs

In first paragragh I meant to say "which ever is lowest price" rather than "same price"

Cyprs

Sorry about the numerous posts,

Old Guy, you will find this XD3 syn Or Plus 50 oil heavy duty oil, my oil pressure is the same with 0-40 syn as 15-40 dino in XD3 in my Cummins Dodge Diesel, most other syns I have used decreased my oil pressure, not XD3, the visc is exactly the same in both dino and syn oil in XD3 at 100C. I am talking $17.00 per 4 litre jug for XD3 0-40 syn at Esso bulk stations, not $27.00, John Deere is traditionally larger mark up than Esso for the same XD3 in J.D. bottles from what ranchers/farmers tell me.

I am not a Esso salesman, just cant keep from passing on good news on this super oil.

Cyprs

Use the 0w-40, at least in the winter. 0w-40 will be much better for starter, engine top-end, your nerves, etc. 15w-40 is great for the summer, but not for your winters.

Wayne

Cyprs
Thanks for the heads up on the XD3-0W40. Do you run the 0W40 oil in the summer or do you switch back to dino 15W40?

It all depends on what part of Ontario you're from. Here, local GMC Truck dealers are quietly telling their Duramax customers to run 0W-30 in temps consistently colder than -18 C or 0 F.

Many folks, including myself, have had very good results with Esso XD-3 0W-30 or 0W-40, including year-round use. The price of XD-3 is very attractive, and it appears to hold up well in HD fleet use.

If you're careful, and have coolant and pan heaters, maybe the 15W-40 is suitable year round. However, most dino 15W-40 are not suitable for dramatically extended OCI.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. Do you want to dramatically extend your OCI? Maybe you want your truck to last forever.

If the answer is "yes" to both, a good synlube and UOA are the way to go.

For some reason, GMC Truck dealers barf all over mention of a HD 0W-40. They usually recommend a 15W-40 down to about -10 C or -15 C, then a HD 5W-30 colder.

Stop by your local Esso dealer and see what he has to say. Last time I checked, they guarantee their XD-3 oils.

Old Guy, I have rest of winter to ponder your question, I have it cleared with a Esso Tech to do a 33%/66% syn 0-40 to 15-40 XD3 for summer use. I like the idea of a syn content in my Cummins Dodge all year round considering I use full strength 0-40 syn in winter. I did use this 15-40 dino XD3 this summer and oil analysis was great.

If I buy the XD3 15-40 dino for $2.20 per litre rather than regular 2.75 and the 0-40 for 4.00 litre rather than 4.20 at the spring and fall Esso bulk station sale. That means I can do a 33%/66% syn to dino in XD3 on sale price for same price as a regular priced full dino XD3 15-40 dino, I have a 12 litre capacity.

I cant see blending these XD3 syn/dino oils a problem, the TBN, Visc is the same, the add packs are the same according to Esso tech, XD3 was a syn/blend up till a year ago, this would be a great blended oil, also it would give great start up for cool spring and late cool fall prior to the winter full strength. I have even thought about 66/33 syn to dino winter too.

Many ranchers/Farmers in this area use this 0-40 year round, they do this for two reasons, price is only about a buck per liter more for syn and they get caught with bad timing on OCI, meaning they may change oil in late Sept and have to waste good dino to get winter syn oil in their diesels. They claim they save money with 0-40 syn year round by not having to waste good dino oil when cool air comes. My syn blend idea may help to save waste, I will still get reasonable start up in fall and spring, XD3 as a syn blend prior to changing to a full blend still had a -40C startup rating. XD3 15-40 dino is rated for -20C startup, 33/66 would be close to -28C startup guessimated.

If you look at specs of 15-40 dino XD3 versus 0-40 syn XD3 they are identicle, the heat ratings are high at 15.7 at 100C and this 0-40 XD3 is the only syn oil I have used to date that does not decrease my oil pressure at hot engine driving, heavy duty stuff.

Ask and I will give you typed out specs on these XD3 oils in syn and dino.

The O-30 XD3 syn oil is an excellent oil, $.50 litre less with great specs too, you can blend 0-30 with 0-40 too if you want a 0-35 or so I imagine, my bulk dealer told me I could throw in some 0-30 with my 0-40 if I wanted.

Heyjay, your right on Esso standing behind their products, in this country few years ago there was some questionable diesel sold by Esso in bulk. Farmers/Ranchers had pump problems, Esso replaced every pump in country with no questions asked. I guess guys who didn't even have Esso accounts where filing claims and getting new pumps. Esso does stand behind their products, that is why I deal with them, their record is proven here anyway.

cheers.gif

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back