John Deere 30 second easy change oil system

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
What’s more, the filter media is designed to resist breaking down in oil over time. Which means you’ll get a cooler running engine.

???? Never heard of this, and this is BITOG.

You can say lazy millenials but we all know it is being feminized.

The fact that they have a JD authorized retrofit kit is hilarious, why not just include the fittings and the filter with the tractor? Because no one would ever spend the $30 to save like what? 5 mins of labour and 20 mins of draining.

Millennials will have to decide $40 30sec OC vs $24 conversion kit.

For the less than mechanically inclined, the conversion kit requires "siphoning out the engine oil from the crankcase with an wand extending into the dipstick tube" and installing the drain pipe assembly.

Guess what??? For those who don't do OC..... why be bothered and execute skills & tools that you may not have.

JD got these individuals in a perfect road block and the additional $16 is a small price to pay.
Roll over and pay.

Last edited:
Is there a one way valve in the filter to trap the the 0.8 quart of oil when you pull off the filter?

That is my understanding based on JD literature.

Last edited:
If I was the guy designing it, I’d have an add pack designed for 3 quarts, and something to help adjust the TBN of the existing oil. Someone has to take a bullet for the team and have a VOA done.

Keep in mind, over 15 years, this mower might only see 150 to say, 300 hours, equivalent to 9,000 to about 18,000 miles on a car plus you are replacing 25 % of the oil every 10 to 20 hours. Keep in mind this is a heck of a lot better than the Briggs and Stratton never-change-oil technique.

Its like the Honda transmission drain and drop every 30K miles. Never really any clean oil, just "replenished" oil with "replenished" additives.

$40 per filter is steep. Most of us would rather run a 3614 for $4 and $4 worth of oil for a more through oil change.

I did a quick calculations between conventional(2.0qts + filter) vs 30sec JD OC(0.8qts + filter)

For a 200hr duration(using a50hr OCI) and the amount of new oil replaced.

conventional = 8.0qts ($80 cost: $10 Fram ultra oil filter + $10 synthetic oil 2qts )
[Note: my OCI costs is $6.00 (ebay Fram XG3614 Ultrasynthetic=$5.50 + Shell Rotella T5 10w30 2.5gal after rebate AutoZone 25cents per quart)]

30sec JD OC = 3.2 qts ($160 cost)

Conventional: could include new engine 5/10 hr break-in oil change. Unlimited oil choices and viscosity grades.
30sec JD OC : looks like no 5/10 hr break-in oil change recommended. Could do one at an very expensive break-in oil $40 change. No oil choices except for JD.

Unbelievable that JD's marketing is pushing the convenience.

The funny thing is that I am expecting at 200Hr my costs to be $24 which is about half of what a 30sec JD OC change. In reality it could be a HUGE $13 since I am only doing filter changes at 100 & 200 hrs.

Lucky me.

Last edited:
Thanks to the Walmart clearance aisle … my Delo/Fram change was under $5 (19 HP lawn tractor)

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525

JD got these individuals in a perfect road block and the additional $16 is a small price to pay.
Roll over and pay.

You are neglecting to take into account a "one time cost" versus a very high "recurring cost"

Put it this way, in rural areas, we Bitgoers will take care of the equipment. Market research probably shows a lot of purchasers have oversized lots in expensive neighbourhoods. The could be a a lot of high income folks such as doctors, lawyers, dentists, administrators etc, who might not care about mechanical things but have plenty of dough to buy the cartridge. Convenience is supreme for some of them. Heck, I doubt they would even change the cartridge yearly.

A gimmick at best IMHO. JD sells
"maintenance Kits' that cost plenty and have
things like spark plugs and gas filters that
don't need to be changed every year or two.
Profitable though.

but wait if its so resistant to breaking down why are we throwing it in the garbage yearly or 50hour oci?

I mean 50hour oci is very low.... for modern engines.

This is just like printer ink as mentioned.. charging 40$ for a 5$ item.. and only replacing about 29% of the oil during the "oil change" makes me cringe.

Someone could always buy my deere 212 if you want to avoid this.. it will probably run another 30 years.
$500, I put $300 into it last year was planning on keeping it another 5+ years but I got a good deal on a 316 which is full hydro.

Originally Posted By: Rand
but wait if its so resistant to breaking down why are we throwing it in the garbage yearly or 50hour oci?

I mean 50hour oci is very low.... for modern engines.

This is just like printer ink as mentioned.. charging 40$ for a 5$ item.. and only replacing about 29% of the oil during the "oil change" makes me cringe.

Someone could always buy my deere 212 if you want to avoid this.. it will probably run another 30 years.
$500, I put $300 into it last year was planning on keeping it another 5+ years but I got a good deal on a 316 which is full hydro.

Technology advancements are always a tempting reason to get a new one. My neighbour still runs his POS with his clapped out muffler. Nice.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I mean 50hour oci is very low...... and only replacing about 29% of the oil during the "oil change"

I think you just answered your own question!!!

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Technology advancements are always a tempting reason to get a new one. My neighbour still runs his POS with his clapped out muffler. Nice.

He also has no monthly payment on his mower...............

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

What significant technological advancements have occurred in the homeowner lawnmower in the last 30 years? Besides of course the groundbreaking $40 oil change that changes 1/3 of the oil.

This is clearly one of those cases where the marketing department overruled the engineering department. It's only a good idea if one assumes that the owners don't want to get their hands dirty, don't want to pay a dealer for service, and know enough to realize that these machines need service. It's been said that this is targeted at millenials, to which I agree. The success or failure depends upon Deere's ability to convince people via a top three Google search result that this is something that they need. Millenials don't want to get their hands dirty, and they don't seem to want to think either.

I proposed the target audience is the millennial and I have the conclusive evidence. My millennial colleague loves blue apron Blue Apron. He is told and believes that these are top-rated recipes, he selects the meal, receive the ingredients and makes those 'incredible' dinner. He is 100%++ into it.

Think about this. He doesn't have shop for the ingredients which are already in serving size proportions, does minimal cleaning and has zero waste. Sounds like the JD 30sec oil change metaphor.

Don't get me wrong the marketing is slick and they do get to keep a recipe card for a memory keep sake. But I also pin the blame on their working mothers who are exceedingly time-compressed that they like dad don't have the available quality time to teach/show them how to prepare a gourmet meal or change the oil.

It is no longer a JD 30 oil change issue but more of a societal symptom of where we are headed.
So sad.

Back