Jiffy Lube prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Her grandfather preached a 3,000 OCI and her father told her that synthetic was better, so she combined the two and would get cold sweats if the PP ran for more than 2,999 miles. What a waste. There was no convincing her otherwise, so yeah...

That must be one clean engine!
wink.gif

The synthetic up charge is justifiable in that they buy quarts of oil.

If they were getting Walmart price on Jugs of PU, then it would be pretty overpriced, but you have to remember they are probably paying top dollar for the quarts even buying in bulk.

A couple of years ago I dated a gal who got her oil changes at a Pennzoil branded quick lube. $82 for PP and what looked like a painted Purolator Classic. She did this every 3,000 miles, or five times a year. $400+ annually for oil changes with nothing else included. Yikes.

Her grandfather preached a 3,000 OCI and her father told her that synthetic was better, so she combined the two and would get cold sweats if the PP ran for more than 2,999 miles. What a waste. There was no convincing her otherwise, so yeah...

Well, at least she changed the oil....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
A couple of years ago I dated a gal who got her oil changes at a Pennzoil branded quick lube. $82 for PP and what looked like a painted Purolator Classic. She did this every 3,000 miles, or five times a year. $400+ annually for oil changes with nothing else included. Yikes.

Well, at least she changed the oil....

Very true! She was always broke though and had a way of collecting a multitude of bills that she could make just the minimum payments on. My offer to do 7,500 OCIs for her with PU/P1 as a way to save her the $400 annually was rejected. Oh well.

This is why doing even some basic maintenance yourself can save you a lot of money. $25 and 15 minutes in the driveway vs $70 or more and at least an hour at a shop or dealer.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Yeeeeeears ago I was in the Iffy Lube waiting room and the manager was on the phone telling someone how his ADT was something like $50.00-60.00; and was higher than the previous month. There must be some kind of internal competition among shops for the highest average daily ticket.
It was unprofessional within earshot of the customers and just confirmed what I had suspected. Sell, Sell, sell.

The Ford dealer across the street offers a syn blend oil change with filter for $17.76; any car. Can't imagine what those guys pitch.

Unprofessional to discuss in front of customers, but at least they were being honest I guess?

Most oil changes below $25 are a gimme to lure people in so the shop can look for upsells. Jiffy Lube is not cheap because they don't do any real repairs beyond the occasional serp belt or some burnt out lights, so they can't risk eating a lot on an oil change to hope for a repair. They have to push the $35 service and make it look well worth it by vacuuming 10 lbs. of french fries and cigarette butts off the floor. That Ford dealer is definitely looking for repairs because they are eating something on that $18 oil change.

Any oil change below $25 is bait. That's not to say the shop is ripping you off (or trying to), but they aren't making any money on a $15-$20 oil change, so they have to subsidize the oil changes by making repairs. It's not dishonest unless they are trying to sell you something you truly don't need. Often times they are catching things that are way more important than an oil change, but many people are too stupid to reason that maybe if a really important belt breaks, that's going to be worse for them than skipping an oil change.

Of course, there are dishonest people out there who are just trying to pad a ticket, and that's wrong, but if you go in for an oil change that's as cheap or cheaper than what you could do yourself, expect them to look the car over for things that can actually make them some money. This isn't Unicef. Honestly, BITOGers have no place to complain about a shop trying to upsell on a $17 oil change. If you know enough to do the job yourself, and you go in for the freebie oil change, expect an upsell or just do it yourself if you don't want to hear about what your car needs. Really, this isn't a freaking charity here. Man up, or shut up. If all we did was $17 oil changes all day and never upsold anything, guess what, we have to look for new jobs. Often times, even if people went to Wal-Mart, they wouldn't be able to do it cheaper themselves. The oil change specials at AAP where you get a 5 qt jug and a filter are still $21.

I work for a small shop (not JL) that does do repairs, and does use a cheap oil change as bait. I wish we would just get rid of the super cheap oil change. Most people who get it are too cheap and too retarded for their own good. For example, we show them a shredded serp belt that could literally snap the next time we start the car, but no, they just want the cheap oil change because that will make it all better. Literally just dealt with this today...we tried to COMP an oil change to a customer with a [censored] W-body because the serp belt was literally about to snap and it was way more pressing than changing the oil. The estimate for the serp belt was less than $100, and they were going to get a free oil change, but no, they decided to pay the cheap oil change price and skip the shredded serp belt. Yes, people are that retarded. I honestly do not upsell things people don't need, I hate doing that. The problem is people are so dumb that even if you show them a clogged filter or shredded belt, they just don't care and want the oil change because they have to do that every 3K miles or else. Sometimes I want to bash my head against a brick wall when dealing with such people.

I know it may come as a shock to some that people do go to work everyday to try to make some money off other people, but honestly, if you aren't willing to do it yourself, don't expect someone else to do it at a loss and not try to get something else out of you.

Looking around recently I found the Conventional oil change price at Jiffy Lube to be correct. I just paid close to $60 for the oil change and a new air filter. They did a pretty decent job in the inspection when getting the car back. The entire service took an hour because there where several customers.

Prices
  • Formula Shell® Conventional oil change $29.99
  • Signature Service oil change $39.99
  • Pennzoil® Conventional oil change $44.99
  • Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend oil change $59.99
  • Pennzoil® High Mileage Engine oil change $59.99
  • Full Synthetic oil change $79.99
  • Pennzoil® Platinum oil change $89.99
  • Pennzoil® Ultra Platinum oil change $109.99

jiffy-lube-select-services-costs.jpg

Sounds like a lot of the grandpas here who preach short OCI on synthetic (people draining M1EP at 7,000 miles :eek:) and changing the factory fill before the car even cools down from its first engine start.

And don't forget that turbo engines are bad, direct injection is the devil, and RWD V8 Panthers are what everyone should drive
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VetteElite

Sounds like a lot of the grandpas here who preach short OCI on synthetic (people draining M1EP at 7,000 miles :eek:) and changing the factory fill before the car even cools down from its first engine start.

And don't forget that turbo engines are bad, direct injection is the devil, and RWD V8 Panthers are what everyone should drive
grin.gif

Don't forget Michelins are the only brand of tire to ever buy and anything not a Panther is junk and unreliable. LOL!

Used to use Jiffylube quite a bit before I started DIY'ing, but eventually started going to the dealer instead of Jiffylube. Doesn't look like their prices have changed much, haven't been to one for going on 10 years. I do remember I brought in my 05 Durango in once for an oil change and they wouldn't do a tire rotation on it.

Originally Posted By: carguy007
Looking around recently I found the Conventional oil change price at Jiffy Lube to be correct. I just paid close to $60 for the oil change and a new air filter. They did a pretty decent job in the inspection when getting the car back. The entire service took an hour because there where several customers.

Prices

$109 Pennzoil Ultra oil change? That's hwy robbery without a pistol.

Suprised how many here pay to have someone change their oil.

You got time to post on an oil and car forum but not even change your own oil?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
In my neck of the woods, it is about $80 for an oil change with conventional. (Iffy lube)

Do you get a discount if they use a Fram oil filter?
Just kidding since I've used them myself.

A Fram would be an upgrade over what they use (Pennzoil branded (Puro made) filters IIRC).

Wondering, is it just the oil that is upgraded, or does Jiffy Lube have a "better" filter that goes with it?

My local Walley World offers a "pit crew" oil change for $19.95. 5 qts. "featured oil" and a filter plus basic checks. Had it done on a truck last year before selling. the oil was 10w-30 QS and filter was a fram. Really, they don't sell an oil or filter it would bother me to run

One more free dealer change on my Ram. 49.95 after that for conventional so I'll do it after this next one.

Originally Posted By: riklyn
My local Walley World offers a "pit crew" oil change for $19.95. 5 qts. "featured oil" and a filter plus basic checks. Had it done on a truck last year before selling. the oil was 10w-30 QS and filter was a fram. Really, they don't sell an oil or filter it would bother me to run

I had the pit crew oil change done once and it was fine. They even checked the oil level before draining the old stuff out and notated the level on the inspection report. I think it was even less at $17. The regular oil change service for $25 you can pick a different oil like Pennzoil, Valvoline etc and they vacuum the vehicle, clean windshield, a few more checks, fluid top offs, lubricate hinges etc...

When I worked there 20 years ago a "signature service" was 27.99 with a 3.00 off coupon being quite common.

It was actually a very enjoyable job for me overall, but the pay was low. My favorite job was working in the pit, you didn't have to deal with trying to sell customers stuff. I was usually working up top though since I am somewhat articulate and was trustworthy enough to run the cash register.

A friend had Oil Changers change her oil, they charged her $70. I told her you can go to the dealer and get it done for $40.

Sure, you need to wait and she's anti-Uber(this is a Toyota dealer, no loaner cars or nice lounges like Lexus). But I don't have faith in most quick lubes, even the one that impressed me by no upselling when I needed my oil changed but couldn't since I broke my elbow didn't spin the filter on tight.

Prices

Wow! Thanks for posting this...My wife OWES ME BIG TIME. There is nothing on their list of "services" that I don't do myself...and a whole lot more, like brakes, struts, shocks, CV joints, exhaust and intake gaskets replacement, etc. I find it a terrifying thought to let some teenaged kid under my hood.

And, just for humor, I notice JL charges $59.99 for "cabin air filter replacement"...I know it's model specific, nevertheless, I could post a Youtube video of "cabin air filter replacement" for my car...the video lasts one minute thirty seven seconds...

does that $80 charge for the battery replacement include the battery?
Parts stores do it for free with the battery purchase.
Do they also charge the $10 battery terminal clean on a battery install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back