Jet fuel as a fuel cleaner??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a fuel system cleaner that says it is make with "JET FUEL", I think it was STP. What would your opinions be on say using 8-16 oz of JP-8 jet fuel in a 13 gallon gas tank??
grin.gif

Snotty

Same as adding diesel fuel to your tank. Not very highly recommended. If you read the STP site, the "jet fuel" is just a carrier for the additives included with their product.

A well-liked fuel additive around here is Fuel Power (aka FP60) from Lube Control Distributors (a site sponsor). Also, Chevron Techron-brand fuel additive is well liked as well.

Yes, I rember seeing those bottle "neck tags" on whatever it is at the local Walmart & it made me smile.
smile.gif

When compared to the other petroleum distillates, jet fuel is probably closest to kerosene in physical properties.

As Pitzel indicated, it's the strong chemical solvents in these fuel system cleaners that perform the actual cleaning and not the kerosene, stoddard solvent or mineral spirits carrier.

Sounds like someone in the marketing department was looking at the ingredients looking for a selling point. As others have said, "jet fuel"(basically kerosene) is simply the carrier.

-T

I laughed whan I saw the neck tags on STP products too.

I also believe that there is no benefit to adding JP8 to gasoline, although a small quantity probably would not hurt. I'm sure it will lower octane if used in sufficient quantity.

Hey thought I would ask...thanks for all the replies so far...any inputs Molekule?

I saw there was Benzine and other nasty stuff in there.

Snoty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back