Japanese cars and clear coat failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 21 year old Nissan's paint still looks and feels brand new,and this car has never been garaged.

I don't see a correlation between Japanese paint failures and Domestic.

My Camry has lost a lot of it's clear coat, but my Jeep is white and it's the paint itself is peeling off.

Here in the hottest city in the U.S. paint failures are very common.

The cars I see with bad paint on them are all different brands. The common theme I see is that they were obviously sun baked all their lives. The way I can tell this is by looking at the interior,which will be sun baked too. Regular waxings,interior protectants,and tinted windows is probably the best medicine.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Why is it that I see so many Japanese cars (mainly Toyota and Honda, Nissan too) where the clear coat seems to be consistently failing. My moms 2007 corolla that was bought new began to have clearcoat failure roughly 5 years into ownership, granted it has been outside all of its life. But I see tons and tons of corollas, accords, Camry, tacomas, etc with bad clear coal out here in California and most of the cars are less than 10 years old.

This issue doesn't seem to plague American manufacturers as much.

What gives? Can this be prevented by consistent waxing?

Honda had this issue on the 06-11 Civic. The primer was too soft for the paint, so under extreme heat (like the hood), the primer would expand and the paint would not, causing cracks. There is a service bulletin covering the issue and an extended warranty.

I just had my 2010 Civic repainted under this bulletin. They stripped it down to the bare metal on the hood, top of the front fenders and resprayed. They also repainted the roof and trunk lid.

Could you please expand on this? My dealer says there are no open TSB on 07 Civic.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Regular waxings,interior protectants,and tinted windows is probably the best medicine.

Could be, but I find not giving a toss is also quite good therapy.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Honda had this issue on the 06-11 Civic. The primer was too soft for the paint, so under extreme heat (like the hood), the primer would expand and the paint would not, causing cracks. There is a service bulletin covering the issue and an extended warranty.

I just had my 2010 Civic repainted under this bulletin. They stripped it down to the bare metal on the hood, top of the front fenders and resprayed. They also repainted the roof and trunk lid.

Could you please expand on this? My dealer says there are no open TSB on 07 Civic.

The bulletin only covered the cars for 7 years unfortunately. My 2010 was near the end of being covered.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092810_2006-2013-honda-civics-will-get-extended-paint-warranty

Quote:
This bulletin will expire on 9-30-14 for 2006-2008 vehicles.

I don't normally see Mercedes, Audi, and BMW's with faded paint. Unless they are over twenty=years old. I;ve never had the pleasure of German engineering or should I say the $$$$$$$$$$ for it.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Ford and Chevy offer basecoat failure. The paint just peels right off. Wax all you want. You will get shinny paint peeling off. Getting ready to drop off my f-150 for a complete stripping and respray. Can't stand it any longer.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
I don't normally see Mercedes, Audi, and BMW's with faded paint. Unless they are over twenty=years old. I;ve never had the pleasure of German engineering or should I say the $$$$$$$$$$ for it.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Generally speaking, owners of those brands tend to take much better care of their cars than owners of Fiat or GovMo cars. No matter the make, consistent washing and maintaining a coat of sealant or wax goes a long ways to keeping cars looking good.

Obviously some environments like blowing desert sand or ocean salt are going to wreak havoc on any paint.

My 13 years old black Echo's clearcoat is starting to fail on the roof, despite being thoroughly detailed twice a year with a spray wax every two weeks in between when I wash it.

My 12 years old white Ranger's clearcoat is fine. It the base coat that peels off, taking the clearcoat along.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Why is it that I see so many Japanese cars (mainly Toyota and Honda, Nissan too) where the clear coat seems to be consistently failing. My moms 2007 corolla that was bought new began to have clearcoat failure roughly 5 years into ownership, granted it has been outside all of its life. But I see tons and tons of corollas, accords, Camry, tacomas, etc with bad clear coal out here in California and most of the cars are less than 10 years old.

This issue doesn't seem to plague American manufacturers as much.

What gives? Can this be prevented by consistent waxing?

Honda is really bad for this. It was a failure of the clear coat. This was when they switched to water based clear. They did not get it right at the beginning.

Had my Civic repainted under warranty (there was a service bulletin describing the issue) last summer.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Single stage paint + apathetic owners + outside parking 24/7.

Single stage paint hasn't been used for 20 years on new cars. Single stage is simply a coat of paint, usually enamel. The op's car clearly has clear coat because that's what is peeling so that is 2 stage paint. Paint+clear. When basecoat/clearcoat came out in the 1980's GM has a lot of problems and peeling was common.They got their act together until water based paints were required to meet EPA standards and a few more problems arose but today I think pretty much all auto makers have decent paint jobs.The only thing I see lacking is the thickness of the paint is very thin.

You hit the nail on the head about car owners - they don't care for the finish properly and the use of car washes today hurts paint bad too.

Last edited:
I see a lot of newer Hondas with burned clearcoat. The Bay Area doesn't get that hot compared to Florida/Texas/Alabama but we do get a lot of sun and week-long heat spells especially in the late summer.

Most of it is on the owner, a good coat of wax does help. Parking your car outside ain't doing it favors.

My 2006 Civic has really bad peeling clearcoat now on the roof and the trunk. Oddly enough the hood is perfect. It's partly my fault, I waxed it when I first got it in 2011 but then didn't do anything to it from that point on (until late last year when I tried out Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish on it, at least on the non peeling sections) I got a quote for $800 to repaint the affected sections, so I might just get that done sometime. Other than the parts that are peeling, the paint is still in pretty good shape!

My 21 year old Nissan's paint still looks and feels brand new,and this car has never been garaged.

I have to call [censored] on that. No way ANY car sits outside for 21 years and has mint condition paint.

It is because people are lazy, don't take care of their vehicle and let it sit outside all the time. My 7 year old Honda Accord. Wax it once a year with NuFinish and dont keep junk in my garage so I can keep the car inside. Paint is perfect. Not hard to keep paint in good shape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

I have to call [censored] on that. No way ANY car sits outside for 21 years and has mint condition paint.

Search here on this site and you'll see pictures of my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back