I've popped another ignition coil

In my 2008 V6 Mercury Mariner with now 210k miles, I've gone through now three of them in the past couple of years. And, they have all been on the rear bank of cylinders. I do have valve cover gasket seepage which may be worse on the rear bank. Could there be a link? Thanks

Yes, if the defective one you pull out is coated in oil. But even without oil - those engines are known to pop coils more often.
Although, we're all defective ones from the same cylinder? They're meant to be replaced all at once. If you only replaced one at a time, and on different cylinders, then I see no issue here. But if it's the same cylinder, and coated in oil, then leaky gasket is likely your suspect.

In my 2008 V6 Mercury Mariner with now 210k miles, I've gone through now three of them in the past couple of years. And, they have all been on the rear bank of cylinders. I do have valve cover gasket seepage which may be worse on the rear bank. Could there be a link? Thanks
New boots each time? Any signs of carbon tracking?

Just three? LOL Our 04 has went through 3 sets at 189k. Still hear some popping in the intake so it's either the pcm or timing. We're just going to run it she goes. Think the only one was truly bad was two on front and one on the back but I replaced in sets.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Just three? LOL Our 04 has went through 3 sets at 189k. Still hear some popping in the intake so it's either the pcm or timing. We're just going to run it she goes. Think the only one was truly bad was two on front and one on the back but I replaced in sets.
Wow, have you monitored misfire counts?

Always replace the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals if it's difficult to get to the back of the engine! If a rear coil goes bad, replace all three of them.

This why I hate transverse V6 engines.

Get the Mahle valve cover gasket set, OEM coils, and iridium or ruthenium spark plugs. Denso Iridium TT or NGK Laser Iridium.

This why I hate transverse V6 engines.

Before1.jpg
Not all design engineers were complete sadist, though likely dead by now!

The buick 3800 is the only transverse v6 that's easy to work on. Honda j35 in the Odyssey is a distant second
It absolutely amazes me. We picked up this car 10 years ago. We own the same car (Buick Century) with the 60 degree V6. It annoys me to no end how difficult it can be!

The Ford 3.5 V6 in transverse form is pretty easy to pull the plenum. Once you know what you're after I bet it's 5 to 8 minutes.

I don't think that's true. I've called 'em up on an '05 Escape and '09 Focus

If you don't see Mode 6 look for "onboard monitoring". Even my ~$13 Launch does it
I’ll try it again, I did once but don’t think it worked.

I used NGK’s the last time. If you keep having issue with the same cylinders I’ve read the pcm might the problem.

If it's not oil getting on the plugs or ignition coil, maybe it's just the nature of the beast ? Here's a crazy thought that just entered my mind... maybe your coil will last longer if it's stressed less by decreasing the spark plug gap intentionally. Say, adjust the gap to 6% less than spec. Like I said, it's a hare-brained idea.

I’ll try it again, I did once but don’t think it worked.

I used NGK’s the last time. If you keep having issue with the same cylinders I’ve read the pcm might the problem.
The component that fires a coil is a called a metal oxide field effect transistor (MOSFET). It supplies juice to the coil until it's time to fire the coil. Cutting off power to the coil causes the primary field to collapse thus inducing a very high voltage surge in the secondary winding. What happens is the solder at the MOSFET develops tiny cracks which eventually lead to bad solder joints ad intermittent misfires. MOSFETs are relatively cheap and easy to replace as they are discreet components and not chips.

The component that fires a coil is a called a metal oxide field effect transistor (MOSFET). It supplies juice to the coil until it's time to fire the coil. Cutting off power to the coil causes the primary field to collapse thus inducing a very high voltage surge in the secondary winding. What happens is the solder at the MOSFET develops tiny cracks which eventually lead to bad solder joints ad intermittent misfires. MOSFETs are relatively cheap and easy to replace as they are discreet components and not chips.

Is the "coil driver" in a Ford PCM a MOSFET? (I'm asking -- I don't know)

For the topic in general, he diags a failed PCM here in a 3.0 Ford

Back