I've got a confession....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery powered gear makes no sense for lawn work. Why because two years later, that company stops making that under powered joke of a product. So now you have to throw that waste of time and money in the trash. My time is more important than being a tree huger. Remember, your local electric company probably uses coal or even worse nuclear power to CHARGE those batteries up for you. Batteries only last a couple years. AND those batteries taper off in capacity over time which lowers performance. Not being used over the winter, batteries suffer. I don't see the attraction here guys?

Look on Craigslist. You will see a ton of used non-working electric trimmers and mowers for sale. Now look at the gas models for sale. Not even close.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
For many applications electric/battery makes sense. I have a few friends with smaller yards that require maybe 5-10 minutes of trimming. A 2-stroke weed trimmer and associated mix/fuel/problems just doesn't make sense and isn't worth the hassle and in many cases additional cost.

I have battery impact tools that don't have quite the power my air impact has, but suit 95% of my needs and don't require dragging an air hose.

Last summer I was house sitting for a friend who has a small flat lawn and a push reel mower. I have to say that the push mower workout was a lot more enjoyable without the noise and breathing in exhaust fumes. Had there been more hills I'd opt for the gas mower though.

Does your electric company use solar to feed your home? Bet they use coal or nuclear power. See where this is going?

Originally Posted by slomo
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
For many applications electric/battery makes sense. I have a few friends with smaller yards that require maybe 5-10 minutes of trimming. A 2-stroke weed trimmer and associated mix/fuel/problems just doesn't make sense and isn't worth the hassle and in many cases additional cost.

I have battery impact tools that don't have quite the power my air impact has, but suit 95% of my needs and don't require dragging an air hose.

Last summer I was house sitting for a friend who has a small flat lawn and a push reel mower. I have to say that the push mower workout was a lot more enjoyable without the noise and breathing in exhaust fumes. Had there been more hills I'd opt for the gas mower though.

Does your electric company use solar to feed your home? Bet they use coal or nuclear power. See where this is going?

Personally I don't own any electric mowers or weed trimmers. I mow 3 acres with a John Deere V-Twin tractor or a 1971 Gravely lol. I was just saying for some people I can understand the appeal, especially for those with small lawns and limited knowledge on power equipment. For example, take the average homeowner with a push lawn mower that won't start. The local small engine shop charges $125 just to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back