****IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an lt1 firebird and the bellow connecting from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body tore where it connects to the throttle body.now its not all that large but enough to leak plenty of unfiltered air into the engine. My question is exactly how quickly can this ruin the motor... I know its been torn this much for the last maybe 250 miles since I took it off and it was already torn but I dont know if it was leaking since you can tighten the clamps down on it. Think its safe to drive for a couple more weeks till I get my ram air which will replace it? Figure this is the most appropriate place to post this since it concerns air... ::shrugs::....help
frown.gif

Plano, hows it goin? I used to go huntin' there all the time when I lived in Houston.
Anyhoo... you definately want to fix that leaking intake bellows as soon as possible. It can cause all kinds of sensor and idle, fuel economy and performance problems. If you are going to replace it with a FIPK or something like that soon, just use some 'racers tape'(duct tape) to fix the hole until you replace it. It ain't pretty, but it'll do in a pinch.
gr_stretch.gif

Thanks man! THATS the problem with my fuel economy lol it was like 18mpg on a highway trip when its supposed to be close to 30, hehe. I'll see what I can do untill the ram air kit comes in. Also does anyone know how bad it is for the motor having run it for 250 miles? At what point is it bad as far as distance?

Mine is torn a little bit also, but yet my last two oil analysis results came up with a pretty low amount of silicon in the oil so I'm not worried.

You should do an oil analysis on your oil just to see if it's actually getting anything in there.

I think I will but my oil is fairly new, but the tears are large enough to suck in lots of air so maybe it would already show. I am thinking about changing it to dino oil and putting autorx in and running sea foam and injector cleaner though the engine to clean out EVERYTHING, then put a good oil in.

let me expand one of my crackpot theories. If the tear is not so large it satisfies all air demand then air is still being filtered by the air filter. Real close to it is the intake for the crankcase ventilation system, so it will be drawing clean air, thus no silicon in oil. However the engine itself will be burning dirty air, so increased ring, guide, seal wear will happen, but not be detectable by oil anaylsis until it is too late. The driving conditions are all important. My air filter is hardly dirty at 20K. RW

I am in agreement with Mr Dickwells theory. The damage being done is not necessarily detectable through oil analysis.
frown.gif
The air-flow leak can cause an abnormal signal from O2 sensors, triggering faulty fuel-mapping delivery. It can most definately contribute to poor mileage.
dunno.gif

Good Luck!
grin.gif

Instead of using duct tape, I'd smear a little silicone glue into the tear then tighten the clamp. It's flexible and will conform perfectly to the tear. It should last indefinitely as long as you don't loosen the clamp and risk another separation, but more glue fixes that.

thanks guys but I put the clamp on a different way and got rid of most of the tear then put duct tape over it and covered up the rest of the VERY small tear left... I dont think its leaking hardly any if at all now. Ram air is due in about a week so its no biggie.

I guess it's a little late now, but also keep in mind that any air going into the engine that didn't go through the mass air sensor will lean out the engine quite a bit. Just my $.02

yeah but my engine type runs very rich anyways plus the O2 sensors would notice. Got the ram air and its all better now.

[ February 07, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: 94 formula ]

I had one that I used duct tape on it for years without a replacement part. Or the really sticky new form of aluminum duct tape. the silicon gasket sealer works in some situations as well.

i ran for like 3 months without an air filter.

didnt hurt anything.
it depends on where you live and how dusty it is really. me fathers motorcycle doesnt have an air filter, and its got 20K on it!

most performance street and strip motors dont have filters, or use wire mesh to filter out ducks and small children.
if you live in the baha, i would say dont even drive 5 miles without one. it really depends on where you live......

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:

didnt hurt anything.
it depends on where you live and how dusty it is really. me fathers motorcycle doesnt have an air filter, and its got 20K on it!

most performance street and strip motors dont have filters, or use wire mesh to filter out ducks and small children.
if you live in the baha, i would say dont even drive 5 miles without one. it really depends on where you live......

Crypto, there must be no dirt in Phobos Anomally
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
-Joe

[ February 09, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:

didnt hurt anything.

That you know of anyways. A friend of mine has an air leak somewhere along the intake system of his car, and on his oil analysis the silicon was sky high, and the iron, lead and aluminum numbers were too. If he kept going like this without fixing it, his engine would almost certainly see an early grave with those kinds of wear numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back