Issues with Cartridge Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a Filter like this once. Im kicking myself for not bagging it and taking it home for pics. It came out of a 2.2L Ecotec that was a quart low. Very black oil. You literally touched the filter at all and it would just crumble. I had to guess some one ran it too long. Of course some of the pieces ended up in the canister on the engine. I tried my best to remove them but I think a little got away.
Oh, the pleats that I hadnt touched were halfway filled with [censored], and at the bottom of the canister was about 1/4" of sludge. It was not pretty.

Hmmm> I have a Mazda CX7 with a canister oil filter. I change oil in this turbo charged engine every 6-7,000 miles. I use Wix and OEM filters with PP 5w30 oil. I carefully inspect the filter cartradge at each change. I have noticed no problems of any kind.

Assuming there is at least something to this (maybe just the result of neglect)...

Do you guys really think the problem is specific to cartridge filters? Do they actually put lower grade materials in the cartridge filter?

Or is it just that the quick lube guys actually notice the problem on cartridge filters, but on the can type the problem is less obvious.

If I was a filter manufacturer looking to cut corners, the can type filters would seem to be a better place to do it. You could get away with a lot more before casual observer would notice it.

Does anyone find it odd that this guy holds a PhD. and is running a Express oil change facility?

If I'd spent the time, effort, and money on a doctorates degree I think I'd strive for more in life.

I was just going to post a similar question. Is this a cartridge filter problem or is it only noticed with cartridge filters because the element is seen while doing and oil change. I would assume the media is the same just the construction is slightly different.

Critic: nothing in that article attributes the issue to poor maintenance habits and only one of the theories stated alludes to damaged oil causing the filter disintegration. The other theories are OEM extended OCIs or "a tad" longer and high heat potentially from being in locations near the exhaust system. These conditions would certainly show up in the usual BITOG participant's maintenance routine.

Well, the author of the article has contact information listed, so perhaps one of us could give him a call?

I wonder what Pete C. would have to say about this.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: tom slick

with the OCIs and the varieties of oil people run here I think we'd definatly see some evidence of this. all we've noted is some twisting or "hourglassing" of cartridge filters.

He mentions a "canister air filter" with "little air circulation" was that a typo?

BITOG users are not your typical quick lube customer. BITOG users do not go 12k on dino on an out-of-tune engine with a clogged or punctured air filter.

So? Then this clearly is NOT a filter problem. It's a consumer problem.

What is one to do with this new found enlightenment (although I'd call it potential enlightenment - "more" needs to be explained)?? Are we supposed to gain a new form of paranoia?

Nope. Get the clown (well, in addition to having a Phd and owning/operating a quicklube, he may also be a clown) to track the vehicles that he discovers these conditions in. Survey the owners for service duty and frequency of service.

..and ask him how an air filter doesn't get any air through it?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
so theoretically using a euro spec oil like GC with a european sourced filter (oem Volvo) in my case would prevent this?

I have changed the oil on 6 trillion Volvos. The only filters that fall apart are the cheap ones that quick lube places use.

Stick to Volvo OE filters (Made by MANN, can be purchased from places like fcpgroton, eeuroparts, and ipdusa) and you won't have a problem.

I have seen people do really stupid stuff with MANN filters in the cartridges, like 20K mile oil changes on our [censored] bulk oil, and they are still together.

If you want my personal opinion for your R, get some German Castrol 0w30. It's what I run in my 04 S60. Mobil1 is great stuff too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back