Status
Not open for further replies.
From the March 2009 issue of NOLN.

Quote:
Tech Tips

by Scotti Lee, Ph.D.
NOLN Technical Writer

Canister Filter Media

For much of the past two years, I’ve conducted my own investigation into the media used in many canister filter applications. It’s taken a lot of time and not a little chunk of change, but I’ve found answers to a problem that’s been bugging me since these critters first hit the market a few years back.

Now, we don’t see this problem with all canister filters, and we don’t see it all the time, but it happens often enough to raise my mental red flag.

What happens is that your technician will open up one of these canisters and remove the filter, only to find the filter media is black and even crumbling, usually toward the engine-side of the canister. Whenever this occurs, we immediately note it on the work order and show the customer, then we do our best to clean the inside of the canister, since the crumbling filter has usually left tiny bits of itself everywhere. We wipe the filter housing with shop towels, add a little bit of new oil then use our oil evacuation tool to suck as much of the foreign debris out of the oil system as possible.

The problem is that even these efforts will not be able to remove all the filter media debris. Some of this debris has no doubt worked its way into the tiny oil galleys that riddle a modern automotive engine. This will either slow or stop the flow of oil through these tiny passageways, which may lead to engine damage over the course of time — or sooner depending on how the vehicle is driven.

I’ve sent samples of these damaged filters to labs in Germany and the United States. The results from their tests seem to indicate that there isn’t one single factor that can cause the filter media to break up.

The German labs say they believe the “filter media embrittlement is caused by special aging products in the engine oil entering from the combustion chamber.” Their advice (music to my ears): “Oil drain intervals should be lower.”

Incidentally, they note that in Europe they have not seen this problem because European-spec motor oils tend to veer toward the protection side of the spectrum while our domestic GF-spec motor oils tend to be formulated for fuel economy. This should tell us something about the development of the GF-series of motor oil.

The two labs I used domestically offered a different explanation. The filter media — its technical name is phenolic media — is not just heavy folded paper. It’s been treated with different chemicals to give it properties that will make for good filtration, pleating, tensile strength, tear stiffness and color. The U.S. labs found an unusually high nitrogen content in the damaged media, which they hypothesized was the result of the media being subjected to “heat for a long period of time,” or being subjected to “very high heat” for a shorter period of time.

I have a few thoughts on canister air filters. First, many of these applications are located in areas that receive little air circulation or are near the exhaust manifold. In both instances, the media inside the filter will either receive little circulatory cooling or will be near a source of extreme heat.

Second, with automakers pushing longer oil change intervals, it’s natural for drivers to take the OEM recommendation and stretch it out a bit. This stretching could be damaging the filter media in some instances. Further, extended intervals mean drivers are having their oil levels checked less often (because how many drivers do you see at the gas station checking their own oil). I don’t know about you, but at our shop most of the vehicles are coming in with oil levels that are a tad low. This means dirtier oil and a hotter-running engine — and more problems for the filter media.

Finally, if the GF-series of motor oil specifications is really contributing to this problem, what will happen when GF-5 is introduced in the middle of next year? Questions like that keep me up at night.

Scotti Lee is operator of Oil Change Express in New Castle, Delaware. He may be reached at 302-324-1900.

Quote:
Incidentally, they note that in Europe they have not seen this problem because European-spec motor oils tend to veer toward the protection side of the spectrum while our domestic GF-spec motor oils tend to be formulated for fuel economy.

54.gif
Does motor oil protect oil filters?

Quote:
The U.S. labs found an unusually high nitrogen content in the damaged media, which they hypothesized was the result of the media being subjected to “heat for a long period of time,” or being subjected to “very high heat” for a shorter period of time.

I would think that oxidation would be the process of aging in a time weighted average. But what heat could one subject the media to that the oil had not? This is just a bit too vague here.

Quote:
I have a few thoughts on canister air filters. First, many of these applications are located in areas that receive little air circulation or are near the exhaust manifold. In both instances, the media inside the filter will either receive little circulatory cooling or will be near a source of extreme heat.

I wonder why he failed to mention the continuous fresh air intake flow that is inherent to the filter in question for all but the post shutdown period where it may be subjected to heat soak. That doesn't not appear to count as "circulatory cooling". I guess it's not ..it doesn't circulate. It get used once and disposed of out the tailpipe.

Hmmmm.... Could this be a good reason to avoid the spin-on SuperTech oil filters with the plastic inner grid design on a long OCI?

That grid isn't going to support the filter media as well, nor will it hold any large chunks of filter media that could possibly break free.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Hmmmm.... Could this be a good reason to avoid the spin-on SuperTech oil filters with the plastic inner grid design on a long OCI?

That grid isn't going to support the filter media as well, nor will it hold any large chunks of filter media that could possibly break free.

Very good point.

Quote:
Scotti Lee is operator of Oil Change Express....

Quote:
Their advice (music to my ears): “Oil drain intervals should be lower.”

Follow the money.

Sounds like [censored] filters to my untrained eyes.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
so theoretically using a euro spec oil like GC with a european sourced filter (oem Volvo) in my case would prevent this?

I think any good quality oil and filter would preclude this from happening. Not sure the oil needs to be "euro spec".

The piece seems to be a bit of a scare tactic. Not denying this can happen, but.......

Remember, the intended audience of this article is other quick lube operators. This article was NOT intended to be read by consumers, so don't take this as an advertisement.

If this was any issue of merit, there would surely be some evidence of it here on BITOG. Every defect known to modern man shows up here ..regardless of how marginal the odds of occurrence.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
If this was any issue of merit, there would surely be some evidence of it here on BITOG. Every defect known to modern man shows up here ..regardless of how marginal the odds of occurrence.

With the exception of me, BITOGers generally drive very well-maintained vehicles, so the aforementioned problems should not occur.

I would not be surprised if the problems noted in the article were common on vehicles with questionable maintenance histories.

Quote:
I would not be surprised if the problems noted in the article were common on vehicles with questionable maintenance histories.

Which is why I say it's not an issue of merit. You may recall lubeowner. He showed us plenty of Warner (Champ) lowball filters with the media breached. All the filters looked very beat. Except for a known abused filter, I've never seen anything like them here. He used that to assert that the lowball filters were junk while never recording just one mileage/date number from his records on any filter.

From what I see in your quoted text, neither did this guy.

If he had said, "I found (fill in the aforementioned observations) on several vehicles. All were way over due for service by both time and mileage and all obviously subjected to severe service...", then it would have been a bit more realistic.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

You surely would think so. But this has definately got me thinking twice about runnng my OEM cartridge filter in my 07 tundra for a full year.
However, it sounds like to me that the problem filter issues were more than likely caused by folks not checking the oil level on a regular basis. And, folks choosing to gamble with whatever type of oil the quick lube has in stock. ??

Gary... do you beleive the wix would be a better choice for me in this situation? Part # 57041 Or should i replace the OEM every 6 mos?
I mean, the wix is the same price i pay for OEM so this is not an issue. But will the wix last me longer; safely?
The wix, OEM, or TRD is my only choice i beleive, and the TRD is $9.50 each.

with the OCIs and the varieties of oil people run here I think we'd definatly see some evidence of this. all we've noted is some twisting or "hourglassing" of cartridge filters.

He mentions a "canister air filter" with "little air circulation" was that a typo?

Imformative thread i must say.

Who thinks this could perhaps be prevented if the lube shops used better quality filters?

Or is it an issue of both oil and filter's?

Poor owner maintenance, or all of the above?

02 Cavalier with an Ecotec. Oil and filter faithfully changed every 3 months regardless of millage. Nothing but Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-30 since thefactory fill, 140K now, averaging 5K OCI, but some 7-8 K.

The closest I have seen to a problem is some of the Purolator L15435's looked a little squashed. I have used AC, Fram, Hastings, and Purolator.

I never saw any such problem.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

with the OCIs and the varieties of oil people run here I think we'd definatly see some evidence of this. all we've noted is some twisting or "hourglassing" of cartridge filters.

He mentions a "canister air filter" with "little air circulation" was that a typo?

That's all i've read about here, is twisted oil filters.

Yeah, WTH is up with the ' air filter ' being in the quote?

What i found interesting is, they found the problem usually closer to the engine where it is in closer contact with heat. And sometimes next to exhaust manifolds???
My trucks is in front of the motor, not anywhere near the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

BITOG users are not your typical quick lube customer. BITOG users do not go 12k on dino on an out-of-tune engine with a clogged or punctured air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back