Island where people live longer than anyone on earth- maybe its drinking the wine?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
12-minute story from 60 minutes Australia- where the local Islanders over 100 years of age show cardiovascular conditions of someone 20 years younger.

And most importantly- zero signs of dementia - WOW.

What does this Island have that is giving a long and healthy and full mind life? The red wine?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's gotta be the oft celebrated Mediterranean diet or an absence of physical wear and tear.

I swear I knew a Greek guy (US born-my age) who badmouthed his old country's ways in a manner I never heard before or since.
He called his countrymen the laziest bar stewards in the world citing Greece as having the highest number of chairs per capita on the planet.

In defence of the population, this one guy smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day so how well his mind worked was a question.

It’s probably a host of factors working together. But I’d love it if it was as simple as a love for red wine.

the unique system i'd say; they are away from the rest of the world, low stress environment, their mother nature is intact pretty much, and add those sauna moments in geysers too

Last edited:
Radiation may be a factor:

The north and northwest of the island are predominated by granite rocks, which naturally contain trace amounts of uranium and are known to emit very low doses of gamma radiation, between 0.20 and 3.31 millisievert annually—somewhere in between the amount of radiation you would absorb from a single chest X-ray and a more-powerful CT scan.

“To the south of the island, on the contrary, limestone predominates,” says Christodoulos Stefanadis, professor of cardiology at the National University of Athens and the Ikaria study’s head researcher. Statistically, people in the north of the island live significantly longer than those to the south. In 2001, the northern part of the island had 11 male and 22 female nonagenarians and centenarians out of a total of 1,452 male and 1,359 female inhabitants—whereas only five out of 1,691 men and 19 out of 1,710 women were over 90 in the southern part.

Stefanadis says this appears to be tied to the excess in gamma rays in the north, which are between 0.20 and 3.31 millisievert annually (over and above a universally “normal” amount of gamma rays would be about 1 to 2 millisievert per year). “This radiation difference is an independent prognostic factor of longevity,” Stefanadis says, though he is quick to add there is not enough evidence to confirm this definitively, simply because the question has not been properly investigated.

Completely anecdotal, but my grandmother's family all lived insanely long lives amongst the granite outcroppings in Muskoka.

A shot of whiskey a day has been credited by some older folks as an elixir to long life. :cool:

You'll notice that many of these long life locations are islands. Living on an island often means a significant amount of interrelationship. So there's no reason these island people couldn't have inherited (purely by chance) long life genes.

Did you see the hills and the steep path that man was walking on? Lots of cardio exercise in their daily living.

They eat mostly vegetables with very little meat. They drink a local wine, which in small amounts probably does no harm. [Though no-one is suggesting anyone should take up drinking.] And most of them are pretty thin. Seems they have had hard lives.

And finally they seem to have a joyful and inclusive culture (especially one inclusive of children and old people).

Life span and health is nearly 100% genetics with a bit of external influences thrown in.
That's pretty close to the absolute truth.

People die of infectious diseases. People have habits that shorten their lives (smoking, drugs, drinking to excess, overeating). And a few people (and I mean very few) have workplace exposures that lead to major health problems (asbestos and silica being a couple of top tier bad exposures). There are a very small number of environmental exposures of note - radon gas being one of them. And people die of accidents of various kinds, warfare, and in some places violence.

And that's about it. The rest is genetics.

i thought that this honor belonged to okinawa.
Or Sardegna

Back