ISIS burns Jordanian pilot alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

China lacks the ability to effectively project and sustain their military power outside of their hemisphere. They're just now building aircraft carriers and its still a learning process for them.

Exactly. While they are indeed a threat there is no way they could supply and sustain a larger effort that far away. Same goes for Russia, most major powers except US rely on intimidation with little real ability to project their power across large distances...

Yet we need to spends tax dollars and American blood on Isis when the Muslim world may not be ballsy/angry enough to do so, because they're going to invade our soil?

No there is no "need". But we are the nation that is watched carefully as a leader in situations all over the world.

this situation in the middle east is just like Germany in WWII, everyone then said sit back it's a european problem.

Let it grow and develop and it will one day be a HUGE issue, here and abroad...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
I'd like to see the big Chinese military march on ISIS territory in numbers to wipe them out. Unfortunately, they are isolationists to an extreme.

UNFORTUNATELY!!?? You want to see the Chinese flex their muscles and invade foreign territory??!! I would much rather they sit quietly in their part of the world and leave everyone alone. If they had imperial ambitions such as Japan had back in WW2, no one would be able to stop them today. Be careful what you wish for.

I suspect China could be brought to its knees in a month...block all oil imports, and destroy the Three Gorges Dam.

Afghanistan War Hero Striped of Silver Star

Quote:
The investigation, apparently, had nothing to do with the acts of bravery that earned Golsteyn his medal. Instead, according to the Washington Post, which cited officials familiar with the case, it concerned “an undisclosed violation of the military’s rules of engagement in combat for killing a known enemy fighter and bomb maker.” The investigation stretched on for nearly two years, during which time the Army effectively put Golsteyn’s career on ice. In 2014, Golsteyn and his lawyer were informed that the investigation was finally complete. No charges were filed, but Golsteyn still wasn’t released from administrative limbo.

Alerted about the controversy by another Army officer, Captain Will Swenson, Congressman Duncan Hunter wrote last year to John McHugh, the secretary of the Army, asking about the status of Golsteyn’s seemingly endless career freeze. Apparently the secretary did not take kindly to the inquiry, as he responded in a letter last November that not only would he not be upgrading Golsteyn’s Silver Star to a Distinguished Service Cross, but would be revoking Golsteyn’s Silver Star entirely, a fact that Hunter revealed publicly in an article for the Daily Beast published on Tuesday.

So the killing of a "known enemy fighter and bomb maker" in the heat of combat is a violation of the military's rules of engagement, resulting in Golsteyn being striped of his Silver Star. Why is it a bad thing this enemy bomb maker is no more? Further, why would the Sec of the Army, McHugh do this?

Someone explain this to me?

China lacks the ability to effectively project and sustain their military power outside of their hemisphere. They're just now building aircraft carriers and its still a learning process for them.

Exactly. While they are indeed a threat there is no way they could supply and sustain a larger effort that far away. Same goes for Russia, most major powers except US rely on intimidation with little real ability to project their power across large distances...

Yet we need to spends tax dollars and American blood on Isis when the Muslim world may not be ballsy/angry enough to do so, because they're going to invade our soil?

No there is no "need". But we are the nation that is watched carefully as a leader in situations all over the world.

this situation in the middle east is just like Germany in WWII, everyone then said sit back it's a european problem.

I tend to take terrorists like ISIS at their word, and they are saying that they will attack the USA and Europe and other countries. ISIS has increased in strength from about 3000 terrorists to, according to some estimates, 40,000 today. And they are rapidly increasing in strength. In a sense they have achieved a kind of statehood and they have some 2 billion dollars worth of wealth from oil revenues alone. They are even printing their own money.

And there have been terrorist attacks already on USA soil, and at least some of those people were inspired by ISIS social media propaganda. So in a sense there has already been ISIS terrorist attacks in the USA.

I don't think we can just forget about ISIS and say it is a Middle Eastern problem. The ISIS terrorists themselves have said they will bring terror to the USA. And it might well be better for our own security to deal with ISIS now, while they are some 40,000, before they become 400,000 or 4,000,000.

The Nazis in WWII became not just a European problem, but a world problem. And if the Nazis have obtained nuclear weapons (and they were in the early stages of working on nuclear weapon technology) it would have been even worse.

If the Nazis had been dealt with in the early stages how many millions of lives would have been saved?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
I'd like to see the big Chinese military march on ISIS territory in numbers to wipe them out. Unfortunately, they are isolationists to an extreme.

UNFORTUNATELY!!?? You want to see the Chinese flex their muscles and invade foreign territory??!! I would much rather they sit quietly in their part of the world and leave everyone alone. If they had imperial ambitions such as Japan had back in WW2, no one would be able to stop them today. Be careful what you wish for.

The Type 96 Main Battle Tank did not fare well in comparison to the T-72. How would it fare vs the M1A2?

Their copy of the Su-27 vs the F22 Raptor? There's a lot of speculation that the Flanker is a better dogfighter. 95% of Flanker pilots vs Raptors will not know that they are in a fight until the Weapon Bay Doors open. Then, it is too late.

They can utilize human wave attacks. Our pin point artillery will dismantle much of that.

If ISIS keeps executing Japanese citizens, I wonder if Japan will alter it's Self Defense Force. We know that the Japanese can create a very dangerous Naval force. The Japanese Navy went 300 years without a defeat before WWII.
The Brits, Germans, Dutch and Spaniards can't say that. America's Navy isn't even 300 years old.

Japan and Germany were battling for resources and trade influence first and foremost. Any "invasion" attempts or considerations were to gain bargaining positions.

Do you really think that Germany, Japan, or isis could/would invade and conquer a land as large and populated as the USA?

Heck, the best military in the world couldn't do it in a thousand-year backward place like Afghanistan, without a trillion dollars and some blood.

I'd say that one needs to consider carefully the difference between terrorism, strategy, and actual threats upon our liberty. The threats upon our liberty do not come from isis, they come from inside. Isis could possibly destroy life and infrastructure here, which demands vigilance. But that costs enough, another war sure isn't going to be cheap.

And once they're eradicated, then what? Win hearts and minds? How did that work when jr tried to avenge daddy's (wise) decision?

Or do you propose complete genocide?

History is doomed to repeat itself. America (and others) ignored Nazi Germany the exact same way.

This WILL come to us, here in this country. Then folks will feel quite different...

Nail on head...past all on the fluff/talk, this is a major concern. If they can recruit people in the US, what does this tell you?

Those who talk a loud fail to realize just how important technology is right now.. they might not have to "attack" us to bring us down....might want to reflect on that one. Granted, I expect another 9/11- they want to be able to have their "moment"....

And this need not bring fear-this needs anger. People need to stop being PC and focus our energy on this issue....ALL of us as americans....no matter who you are....

They may not be a huge threat....but then it is a matter of time...

I've read what ISIS does to women and children and I can only explain it by believing these are not humans we are dealing with but the most evil cockroach filth to ever crawl on the surface of this planet...but I digress because that is insulting to cockroaches.

Last edited:
just watched the video, absolutely vile people we are going to have to deal with soon. We need to arm and train anyone who is opposing them with ground troops ASAP.

And once they're eradicated, then what? Win hearts and minds? How did that work when jr tried to avenge daddy's (wise) decision?

We need not seek to blame this on Bush, he is just one of many players in this arena. This is not a partisan issue, it is an American issue IMO. About what we stand for in the world.

And your last comment is quite a lot to draw out of my simple post...

So was it a good idea to try overthrow Assad? When you create a vacuum by removing those dictators something worse will always come to fill it.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
just watched the video, absolutely vile people we are going to have to deal with soon. We need to arm and train anyone who is opposing them with ground troops ASAP.

I wish it were that simple. Daesh is well-armed, partly because we (USA, that is) attempted to arm people that we thought were enemies of our enemies. It does seem like a good idea to assist Jordan, though.

Just a few months ago there were a bunch of Iraqi Army rifles availiable. Never fired, only dropped once.

If we were to train and equip those people, we run the risk of training and equipping the next ISIS group.

This thing has folks fired up. Knowing history is a good thing, but lacking in many including leaders. The Japanese in the 30's to 40's treated 'enemies' much the same=total brutality. Today, the Japanese have about 'no memory' of this. The German's also very brutal at many times=there is better understanding of this history there today.
There are old American WW2 vets still alive that recall how the arabs in North Africa were 'handled' by the French for any misdeeds=shot on the spot.
The Egyptians thought we were crazy to topple Saddaam=sure he's a xxx, but that's what's needed to keep the lid on the 'tribal' world.
Most of the world is some level of chaos and we aren't going to be able to change that in any substantive way-imo.

I have the equivalent of a Taliban "smut" film... showing Jihadis training, and helicopters crashing on a Navy ship that has planes on it, etc etc. It's pretty messed up.

Beheadings, people tearing apart bodies in the street..

These people hate America, and always will.

Not sure what to do about it..

We need not seek to blame this on Bush, he is just one of many players in this arena. This is not a partisan issue, it is an American issue IMO. About what we stand for in the world.

And your last comment is quite a lot to draw out of my simple post...

I'm not making it partisan so neither should you. There were reasons why Baghdad wasn't captured in gulf war I. Can you honestly say that we as Americans are safer or better off because of what we've spent in blood and debt (how much of the debt increase since 9/11 has been due to this) trying to fix backwards peoples that don't want anything better?

I can't.

And if you dont get the general commentary about genocide in this thread, then you're obviously not reading. Just because I stated something in reply to your post doesn't mean there aren't tons of other comments similar that it also addresses.

Did you read the one about radiation fixing our problems? Responsible comment?

How about this:

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Kill em all
They hate us anyway

But since you're commenting and volleying here, how do you feel about genocide? Since it seems about the only approach I've read in here that has a chance of succeeding.

K
Originally Posted By: otis24
Saddam Hussein didnt seem to have any trouble keeping them in line. We just need to turn our military loose with a "no-holds-barred" approach and decimate the enemy everytime he raises his head!

And why exactly what I want to put any American life in danger? Why would I want one cent of tax money going to this?

What American freedom specifically is being threatened on our soil to justify using our military to do anything?

Because, if you dont control them when they are small rabble rousers, they grow larger, they grow stronger, and they come here! They have declared war and they have declared us to be the enemy. We dont have a choice in that. They only choices left are "will we fight" and "will we fight to win?".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Just a few months ago there were a bunch of Iraqi Army rifles availiable. Never fired, only dropped once.

If we were to train and equip those people, we run the risk of training and equipping the next ISIS group.

Very possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back