Is there any benefit to using premium fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The benefits are only to the vehicles that are designed to use the higher octane fuels. Most are either regular or premium, with apparently Acura able to accept Regular on a more regular basis than others (Recommended vs. Required).

TexasVaquero, your Versa requires regular fuel - AKI 87. Of course, you might have an aftermarket modification which changes everything.

From the Owner's Manual:
Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number
(Research octane number 91).

SkyActiv - The fuel in Europe is not really higher octane than in the US. They post the RON value. There might be pumps over there that only sell the higher octanes, I wouldn't know as I haven't been there in over 20 years. This page shows the equivalent octanes for many European and US brands as if they were available for sale in other countries(i.e. cross reference of the different octane rating values). Octane Wiki

Just use whatever your car calls for. And Top Tier is worth the extra, if it is actually more.

Unless it is a vehicle that is not driven very much, and like here, need to buy premium to get ethanol free.

Last edited:
Our 2017 2.3 Ecoboost Explorer according to the OM is designed to operate on 87 octane fuel. BUT "For best overall vehicle and engine performance premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer". We don't tow so at best I'll use premium fuel for the worst of the summer temps. I used 93 octane mainly on my recent trip from NJ to Key West. Most likely a waste of money. My wife is going from NJ to Nashville soon. I'll have her do a 50/50 mixture of 93/87 octane fuel. That should give her 90 octane fuel, close enough to premium for non towing highway driving in summer temps. For the fall through spring we'll go back to 87 octane fuel, it ran fine this past winter and spring on 87. Ironically the Ford sales brochure says the to achieve the HP & TQ numbers they advertise for the 2.3 EB engine you need 93 octane fuel.

Whimsey

If it says "premium recommended" then if you use premium you get more performance/better gas mileage
If it says "premium required", you have no choice
If it says "87 required", putting premium lightens up your wallet.

I fill up with Premium whenever I'm across the border in Wisconsin, and it has nothing to do with octane number (as it wouldn't benefit my engines which were designed to run on 87 AKI) but rather the fact that ethanol-free premium is available at many stations there (as opposed to none anywhere near where I live thanks to the inequitable taxes/subsidies the lobbyists have pushed into law).

Unless your vehicle specifically requires it, the only advantage is that your wallet will be lighter when you step on the scale.

Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
My car recommends 91 octane--- I have a VERSA. Who would have thought? I still use 87 octane because it can handle it and it is cheaper.

RON or AKI? There is a big difference.

My `06 Audi A4 2.0T is the first car that I've owned that is very sensitive to octane level/fuel quality. Audi specs 89oct minimum(mid-grade in PA), but the car feels like it has a limited power band with no-name brand 89-91 octane. I began using Shell V-Power 93oct 2yrs ago and it runs much better. Whenever I can't fill up w/V-Power the difference is very noticeable, especially in the top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back