is there a product to curb ethanol issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP-

My snowblower runs better on Shell Ultra, and thats low compression one lung-R; it exhibits Less spitting and overrun backfire and has stronger dig-in & lug-it torque. Just better fuel. Is the bike FI or carb? If carb, you are running lean with the E10 (it can actually be E -anything since splash blenders cant do the calculus to get a good blend
smile.gif

Run 91 octane in your custom modified engine. Forget about ethanol problems, unless you store it for winter, then use a suitable gas stabilizer.

Don't bother with any additive. Use the gas from the pump that runs best.

Small utility engines...lawn mowers, snow blowers, generators, etc., are doing better on hi octane gas in some regions of the country. The regular gas has some compounds that cause intake valve stem deposits, and premium doesn't cause this problem, at least according to a Honda Power Equipment district rep.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Ethanol has really high octane.

The MPG thing is a problem. The fix is to buy more. Wish I had a cornfield.

Power loss is not an issue with ethanol. If anything, because of the higher octane you can run a higher compression ratio and make more power (and some E85 vehicles do this automatically).

Pure ethanol is around 115 octane, but ethanol only contains about 65% of the energy of gasoline when burned. Therefore this negates any compression ratio increase.

The flip side to that is that 100% of the energy contained in gasoline isn't utilized because it has to be run in lower compression engines (to prevent knocking).

I use FP+ all the time in my vehicles.

Recently, started using it in the lawnmower, huge difference. The Toro is 3 years old, used to start on the 1st pull, this past year or so, it took several pulls and many primes of the fuel. Put 1/2oz FP+ into the mower's fuel tank, used up that tankful. Started on the 1st pull thereafter with only a single fuel prime.

Ethanol isn't a friend of engines, keeping things clean is so important. I feel a tried-n-true additive of FP+ is worth it.

green earth technologies has one that works great for my small engines. 8month old gas with ethanol gives me zero problems now days. I didn't have any luck with Stabil or MMO trying the same thing.

Best thing would be get rid of this big money subsidized [censored].

ethanol

Originally Posted By: Swift
Best thing would be get rid of this big money subsidized [censored].

ethanol

Best solution so far.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Power loss is not an issue with ethanol. If anything, because of the higher octane you can run a higher compression ratio and make more power (and some E85 vehicles do this automatically).

Screeeech to a halt here!
I want to see the engine that alters compression ratio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back