Is the 5.7gm engine still made brand new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
a reputable shop here in Houston.

Who would that be? an engine rebuilder, a machine shop?

I stopped rebuilding my engines years ago and began buying reman in Japan by Nissan from the dealer. (not the 30,000 mile used engines from Japan) I walked into motoreco (one of the best back in the day) and realized the machinery was old when I was a kid and that was decades ago. Those [censored] reman engines were done to absolute perfection. I suppose they had better and a lot newer equipment than shops had here. Hopefully the situation has changed here.

Even GM engines may not be manufactured by GM. I heard they had a lot of cylinder head problems. Turned out that the heads were made by somebody else.

Edelbrock makes an all aluminum "Chevy" engine that includes fuel injection and control unit. No need for a laptop to set it up. Just works out of the box. Supposedly.

Are your current engines old and tired or just want more power? Most marine engines die from ingesting water. I would rebuild the current ones in the normal manner rather than trying to get more power. As you know marine engines run for hours at a time at relatively high RPMs. Way different usage than a car or truck.

Yeah it's an original 1989 gm350 275hp carbed motor so id say it's probably getting tired. The motor is due for new manifolds and risers, plus the outdrive needs a new pds bearing and U joints and the engine needs to be removed to do this and I don't really see the point of putting the old engine back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by borgward
a reputable shop here in Houston.

Who would that be? an engine rebuilder, a machine shop?

I stopped rebuilding my engines years ago and began buying reman in Japan by Nissan from the dealer. (not the 30,000 mile used engines from Japan) I walked into motoreco (one of the best back in the day) and realized the machinery was old when I was a kid and that was decades ago. Those [censored] reman engines were done to absolute perfection. I suppose they had better and a lot newer equipment than shops had here. Hopefully the situation has changed here.

Even GM engines may not be manufactured by GM. I heard they had a lot of cylinder head problems. Turned out that the heads were made by somebody else.

Edelbrock makes an all aluminum "Chevy" engine that includes fuel injection and control unit. No need for a laptop to set it up. Just works out of the box. Supposedly.

Yeah a good engine builder. Id like to have my engine rebuilt and add some horsepower etc. Well mainly torque. I see a lot of crate engines with 350hp and 400 ftlbs of torque. No reason I can't get that with my engine.

Yeah it's an original 1989 gm350 275hp carbed motor so id say it's probably getting tired. The motor is due for new manifolds and risers, plus the outdrive needs a new pds bearing and U joints and the engine needs to be removed to do this and I don't really see the point of putting the old engine back in.

You can replace the gimbal bearing without pulling the engine. You just need a puller
It's not the age of the engine but the hours on it. What is the compression?

I have a 1987 Mercruiser 265 which is a GM 5.7 with a 4 barrel.

Not on the volvo. Mine isn't called a gimbal bearing, they're called primary driveshaft bearings and the engine has to be removed to get a the inside one. I think on the newer models, it may have changed.

Not on the volvo. Mine isn't called a gimbal bearing, they're called primary driveshaft bearings and the engine has to be removed to get a the inside one. I think on the newer models, it may have changed.

I haven't checked the compression, but I just want to start fresh with a rebuilt outdrive and a new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back