Is it ok to run a fleet of gasoline trucks with just 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW!! Oil linguo is making my head spin lol.... Sounds good fellers, ill look up what all these specs mean in my spare time.

An E6 lube is a type of HDEO, usually dual rated. Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, Chevron Delo LE 5w-30, and Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 are three examples off the top of my head. Castrol has one, but it's technically not SN and probably difficult to find. I'm using the Shell example in my G37 right now.

As always though, watch pricing and consider what you're spending. A 10w-30 conventional HDEO might be the most cost effective choice. Perhaps not. What 53' Stude mentions at his Rural King is a pretty stout lubricant at a very attractive price.

My belief -- no. There's nothing wrong with the viscosity grade of 5W-30 in most cases (except in the extreme cold), but the big problem with 5W-30 is that it can be formulated with a lot of additives and relatively poor quality base oils. So when you go to a 0W-30 or 0W-20 motor oil, the manufacturer of such oil is essentially forced to use a better quality base-stock that probably will stand up to longer drains, coke less on turbo bearings, or be less volatile creating the dreaded direct injection intake deposits.

5k OCI's are, in some engines, way, way too often, particularly direct injection engines. You're just asking for trouble if you change more frequently than prescribed in such engines, especially if poorer quality oil is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back