Is it a Southern Thing About Old Cars in Yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in Kansas a farmer can have a few salvage machines for parts. but i see mostly combines. my weakness is Commodore 8 bits. but they are all inside. LOL. LOL

Last edited:
I live on Long Island and pay insane property taxes. When I walk my dog around a specific block, there's a house with I think seven ugly non used cars on his property. Not sure how he gets away with it.

My extra "vehicle" these days is my trailer mounted BBQ pit. Neighbors (who I share the fruits of my labors with) don't mind, even in the two HOA's my wife has picked houses in.
wink.gif

My dad was always working on cars, when my wife met me I had 4 vehicles. One truck, and three muscle cars in rotation for being wrenched on. I was renting a house out on 800 acres in the middle of nowhere South Texas from a rancher.

My 300ZX has fallen into this category, although it's been parked on the side of a house, under a carport and in a driveway. But for the last few months, as sat on a piece of lawn/field. Wasn't by choice, was necessity.

My issue was having to move and was working toward enlisting in the Air Force. That didn't pan out, so I've been stuck with things in a storage unit, at my fathers place and my 300ZX parked where I could get it "out of the way".

Just elaborating that some people may have a lump of junk in their yard for a myriad of reasons. I wouldn't let my 300ZX waste away in my own front yard though, so perhaps my example doesn't apply here. Lol

Maybe for income. I stopped at an old farm house because in the woods were a bunch of old cars dating back to the 20's. Old man and woman looked to be 200 years old came out from the house. Told them I was looking for a 392 hemi engine. Guess what they had 2. Bought one for $100.00 dollars after he cut it out of the car. Loaded it on my tow truck and away I went. They had a treasure trove of old cars. This was a back in the early 70'

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
When it costs $75 to have a $50 car hauled away, it doesn't get hauled.

You have to call around or go online to get quotes. I called Pullapart about picking up a relatively useless Eagle Summit, and they would only give me $30. I went online and got a quote from a third party and got offered $75. Guess who showed up at my house ... a tow truck from Pullapart.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: marine65
Here in Colorado if you go to the areas where people have some land you will see what looks like a car salvage yard on their property.
Right you are. Colorado has some outstanding scenery but is one of the junkiest states in the union.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the sofa and possible fridge on the front porch! I have seen old cars with the trunk open and flowers planted in it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You might just be a redneck,if you mowing your lawn and find a car.,,,

A truck, surely?. No self respecting Redneck would sink so low as to own a car.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You might just be a redneck,if you mowing your lawn and find a car.,,,

A truck, surely?. No self respecting Redneck would sink so low as to own a car.

Claud.

For the missus, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back