Is Dexos Gen 2 and Ford B1 spec basically the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by tiger862
So what you are saying is an oil that is GM Ford, Chrysler specs as well as any other spec is just GM spec? No it is an universal oil intended to be used in multiple vehicles. If GM spec oil is so good why not get AC Delco oil as this is true Dexos with not having to meet other manufacturers spec.
Maybe the famous Lubrizol spider chart will help you understand how weak specs can be swallowed up by better tougher specs. Then you'll understand how the weak Ford and Chrysler material standards are actually subsets of dexos1.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html and put in API - SN Plus and then select GM Opel dexos1 and see it swallow the other specs.

And Ford has shown simple spec meeting motor oil protects keeping the engine like new after torturing a 3.5 Ecoboost in manners most owners can not recreate.

And to meet Chrysler specs which are weak it takes 2 years of testing then engine teardown.

It is true you can do OK with the lowly -B1 or the Chrysler basic specs which are barely better than basic SN+.. ...The point is, if you want cleaner pistons, and more resistance to sludge and varnish buildup with more oxidation resistance, you CAN go to a higher spec, in this case dexos1 Gen2 or dexos2 as well.

For example, take German engines. These companies take the oil performance even more seriously than GM does. ---> For an Audi A4, with the extremely tough VW 508 0w-20 spec, that will get you a higher performance oil than most dexos1 0w20 oils. .. Castrol gold jug or Mobil1 AP might come close or equal VW 508, yet to be sure of the highest performing 0w-20 HTHS ~2.7 oil, you can get VW 508 oil.
Now we ask: Could a 2019 Audi A4 owner use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional 5w20? Yes! And they would do "OK" for quite a while. It's only for people who want better performance that would insist on more engine tests & tougher requirements.

The WSS Ford spec family has never been much to write home about.

WHY I completely disregard them, and go to the much higher spec oils in Ravenol's lineup (I even skip right over Ravenol's lower spec
5W-20s, even though that's the USDM Fiesta ST recced viscosity).
wink.gif

I picked up some Castrol Edge today on sale, the new gtdi formula stuff at Canadian Tire on sale for 30 a jug... Going to try this and see how I make out

More proof that the Ford -B1 spec is wimpy: Oils with mostly GroupII base oils qualify, where they aren't good enough for dexos1 (example, Mobil Super 5000, Valvoline Daily Protection (not a sunscreen, as I found out......)

...‚...‚...‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back