Is 4K HDR HDTV Now Mainstream TV Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More and more 4K content is showing up on free streaming channels. The 4K HDR smart 55 inch TV I bought was only $449. It will last well into the future.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They took the tuner out of some models, not all.

All Vizio's 4K units (E, M, and P-Series) do not have a tuner. The only ones still with a tuner is the D-Series, which are not 4K (or HDR).

I'll say it again: TCL P-Series...

The Verge: TCL P-SERIES ROKU TV REVIEW: THE BEST BUDGET 4K TV YOU CAN GET

CNET: Best 4K TVs for 2018 - TCL P series Roku TV (2017) Best 55-inch non-OLED TV

Reference Home Theater: Unless you are w... anything else.

The Wirecutter: After spending 80 hours ...re on a budget.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The 4K HDR smart 55 inch TV I bought was only $449.

It also has a digital tuner ... I wouldn't buy a TV without one because I can get lots of HD OTA channels. Saves me $1200 per year in cable bills.

I dont know but I just replaced my LG 55" LED 120hz for a Sony Bravia 55" 4K UHD XBR-55X900E and its beautiful. Sold my LG to manager at Napa for 55.00. He was happy to get a 120hz tv as his 60hz Element brand blurred awful. Glad I helped someone out.

More and more 4K content is showing up on free streaming channels. The 4K HDR smart 55 inch TV I bought was only $449. It will last well into the future.

What did you get?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Good info. I don't have a DVR, so I'll need TV to have an OTA QAM tuner
smile.gif

Vizio breaking new ground, eliminates TV tuners from TVs. I guess it saves them a few dollars. :eek:)

Also the younger generation has no clue what an antenna is and what it can do, been trained by corporations in high school and college to be Dependant on everything as they suck money from their paychecks, then cry what a cruel world ... :eek:)

Last edited:
It's funny how Vizio calls them "tuner-free", as if it was a good thing, like sugar-free.

I hear they are currently working on "remote-free" as well as "screen-free".
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's funny how Vizio calls them "tuner-free", as if it was a good thing, like sugar-free.

I hear they are currently working on "remote-free" as well as "screen-free".
smile.gif

Yes! exactly! ... and ... some TVs now ship with just a cheaply made remote and promote using your home tablet with an app for more and better features! ... Gee, just what I want, sit down to watch TV and have to fire up the tablet to use my TV vs a well thought out remote.

Last edited:
Yeah, the smartphone remote is being shoved into our faces already. If you have a Harmony remote, I suppose you should be able to just say "Alexa, let's watch ESPN" if you don't feel like pushing any buttons.

Yeah, that too, people turning their whole lives, everything they do and someday their bodies to google and alexa.
Google already knows everyone who has an android phone every movement they make, every place they go to by time, date and location.
Unless your turn it off which most people do not know exists, heck I didnt believe it until I looked into my google account, there it is, search-able by any time, date and YEAR! Every place my phone has been too and its right there in your google account (gmail).

Creepy stuff!
Now by the tens of thousands people are inviting google into their homes to know everything they say and do ... :eek:)

Last edited:

What did you get?

Went with a Hisense 55", very happy with it - LINK

I then bought a Roku Premiere Plus steaming device for $65 from Amazon which supports 4K HDR so I can stream all media that is in 4K HDR. My setup cost me a bit over $500 and will last me well into the future.

BTW, the Roku seems to handle streaming apps much better than any smart TV, so it's a good investment IMO. For instance, I use the PLEX app because my brother has tons of movies on his in-home media server, so I can stream his movies to my TV even though he lives 45 miles from me. The PLEX app always didn't work too well all the time with the PLEX app on the TV, so getting a Roku fixed all of that. My brother also had to buy the Roku to get his Sony 4K TV to stream better with PLEX. You'll find that people who develop all these smart TV apps will support their app's functionality much better with Roku, and not so much with the hundreds of different TVs. Roku has become the streaming standard hardware it seems, so all these apps will most likely work better on a Roku.

I'm not going to get a Vizio. I don't like their bovine scat of "tuner free" as if they've somehow sanitized the fecking TV of some undesirable aspect. The more I think about it, the more I give Vizio the Thumbs Down.

I'm not going to get a Vizio. I don't like their bovine scat of "tuner free" as if they've somehow sanitized the fecking TV of some undesirable aspect. The more I think about it, the more I give Vizio the Thumbs Down.

Get the best Samsung you can afford.
You wont regret it.
If you can buy it at Best Buy you have a short window to return it if you dont like it.
I initially bought a cheap 55" Insignia and it was fine,but after a couple months there were sound problems. Best Buys policy is if they cant fix it in 30 days you get to trade it back in.
The part to fix it was back ordered for 2 months.
I took the Insignia back and decided to upgrade to the Samsung.No more cheap T.V.'s.
It was $200 more but worth it.
The Samsung blew the Insignia away in picture quality.

Last edited:
Depends on your luck I guess. I have a $149 40 inch Insignia Open-Box special from Best Buy that is six years old and works fine. Wife watches in the bedroom nightly.

I have had good luck with weird brand TV's. My living room has a Changhong brand, which apparently rivals LG in china. That one is also six years old and was under 300 new for a 50 inch.

When OTA goes to 4k I may consider an upgrade, or when something dies.

If your budget is limited, the best effect in my opinion will always be screen real estate (size) over picture quality, that is the way I feel, as they will all produce acceptable quality.

Most major companies now outsource their more budget friendly TVs to the very companies that sell less expensive sets, like Hisense, which also now owns Sharp brand which also now owns ....

Disclosure we replaced our Panasonic Plasma (top rated at the time) with a Samsung and very happy with it. With that said, part of the reason for the Samsung was my wifes company gave it to us, it was a year old in her office but never used.

I really was tempted to buy a Hisense 65 inch this past holiday season but wife wants to keep the current 58 Samsung for now as we just got it (and I agree)

Click here for Consumer Reoprts on TV br...ung in the paid

Last edited:
Hisense is a Chinese based company, but both my Hisense TVs were manufactured in Mexico.

Read the reviews from AV professionals that I and others posted. If you want a 55" TV that doesn't break the bank, and performs better than any similarly priced competition, and as well as 55" TV's at 2-3 times the price, check out the TCL 55P607/55P605. They are the same TV, but the 605 has a simpler remote in that it doesn't have a headphone jack on the Remote.

IIRC, you are a cord-cutter. The ROKU operating system is considered to be the best in that application.

Hisense is a Chinese based company, but both my Hisense TVs were manufactured in Mexico.

I have a 7 year old Sony 40" LCD that was made in Mexico.
It still looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back