Irrigation system leak

I discovered this crack (and resulting leak) at the top cap of this pipe under a valve cover this afternoon. Not exactly sure what it is, but I do believe it is the only one like it in my system. Should I be able to fix myself without calling my irrigation company?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_160456.jpg
    IMG_20220619_160456.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 52
Of course you could DIY fix it. Is it cemented on, or screw-on, or ??? (something more proprietary than a plumbing dept at a hardware store would have)?

It's a screw on. Looks like I may simply need to pay a visit to Home Depot tomorrow!

Take a hand spade and did around that fixture. I can't make out just exactly what you have there. You mention a "valve cover," but that doesn't look like anything connected with the solenoid valves. Did you mean a sprinkler head? If that is the case, you can probably unscrew the head and replace it. Slide the space down the valve body to facilitate removal. Be careful not to get soil and grass in the exposed lover connection. With new sprinkler installed, hold it plumb and tamp soil around it. Regards to you on this federal holiday.

In the OP's pic it doesn't show the lid, it's a round control box. I'm guessing he has another solenoid valve box somewhere, the last tow pics are similar to what I have, about 24"x18" by a foot deep.

eb2bfbb6-9d25-424d-a426-73e2661321bf.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
a3a03fa2bceb2b1f40e88c075b50958d.jpg
images.jpg

That could be an automatic drain valve. It's supposed to let water out after the zone turns off, so there is no water left in the sprinkler pipes to freeze. While the zone is on it should close tight and not leak.

Back